Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

will trade 390 for 240/300 SE New Mexico

Old 09-08-2005, 08:50 PM
kewlcracker
New User
kewlcracker is starting off with a positive reputation.
will trade 390 for 240/300 SE New Mexico

just picked up a 66 with a strong running 390
i will trade even up for a 240 or 300 six
or possibly sell outright
located in roswell new mexico, engine is still in truck so if you are in the area and want to see and hear it give a holler

Old 09-09-2005, 12:31 AM
GregTruck
Elder User
GregTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why? Don't get me wrong I have grown to love my bulletproof 300. Man 390's are pretty classic engines anymore. You don't go down to the yard and get 390's a dime a dozen like inline six's. Matter of fact you probably arent going to find any 390's at all in the average salvage yard. I wish I lived further south I would go buy you a nice 300 and load up your 390 gladly. I'm guessing maybe gas mileage is your motivation. Understandable indeed. However my friend at work has a 66 with a 352 which is very similar and he claims to get around 20 mpg. I always laugh when he tells me this but he swears it is true. He's got my 65 300 Overdrive beat. Thats for sure....

Old 09-09-2005, 01:12 AM
kewlcracker
New User
if you think that's bad, you'd probably be in tears if you saw some of the stuff i have let go
i guess i am just different. i was never a V8 guy, always liked my engines straight
i know the 390 is a desirable engine, and hopefully someone around here will take me up on this deal, but i tell you what, it's damn near impossible to find
any used engine around here. one day just to prove my point i called all the junkyards in town to see if a chebby small block could be had. i didn't really want one mind you, but i figured that would be the most likely candidate to be in stock and guess what, none. they all told me the same thing "oh, we wouldn't have anything like that" scary~! if you ain't got one of those, what do you have?
your friend might not be too far off there, i had to drive 100 miles back in the truck after i got it, and i made the trip on 6 gallons of gas with plenty to spare. so the mileage wasn't bad at all and that's not why i want to change it out. i really wouldn't have even bought the truck with that 390 in the first place but i got such a deal on it i just couldn't pass it up.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:24 AM
jowilker
Post Fiend
jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
Hey kewlcracker, Welcome to FTE The best truck show on the net.

Glad you stopped by and joined in the fun here. I have a I-6 sitting on the floor and wish I could take you up on your offer, too bad I'm in North Carolina.

Got a question, Have you tested the stroke on the engine? There is a saying around here that they are all 390s on sale day. The 352 was the only V8 available for the pickup up until 69 I think and the two engines are identical on the outside.

You wil need to swap the complete drive train because the FE is so torquee that is runs a low 3.0 rear ratio and the 6 will require a high 3. ratio.

Most of those old trucks didn't get much difference in mpg, so I don't know if it's worth the effort in labor that it will take to change it all out.

all IMHO

John

Old 09-09-2005, 07:07 AM
mark alderson
Junior User
mark alderson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking About Mileage.my 65f350 With 5.13 Rear Gear And 352 4 Speed Gets Better Mileage Than My65f250 With 300 6 With 4 Speed And 4.56 Rear.but The 6 Cyl.has Alot Of Low End Torque Whereas The 352 Will Out Do It On The Highway By Far.but I Doubt Even The F350 Gets Over 9 Or 10mpg.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:19 AM
jowilker
Post Fiend
jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mark alderson
Talking About Mileage.my 65f350 With 5.13 Rear Gear And 352 4 Speed Gets Better Mileage Than My65f250 With 300 6 With 4 Speed And 4.56 Rear.but The 6 Cyl.has Alot Of Low End Torque Whereas The 352 Will Out Do It On The Highway By Far.but I Doubt Even The F350 Gets Over 9 Or 10mpg.
Talk about a couple of ol stump pullers, man.

John

Old 09-09-2005, 07:33 AM
mark alderson
Junior User
mark alderson is starting off with a positive reputation.
The F350 Was Bought New In Bailey N.c.it Still Has Operators Manual In Glove Box.it Was Sold As A Cab And Chassis.and As Far As I Know Was Used On A Tobacco Farm.has 91000mi. Showing On Speedo.very Good Condition Wish It Were Apickup Though.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:52 PM
kewlcracker
New User
Originally Posted by jowilker
Hey kewlcracker, Welcome to FTE The best truck show on the net.

Glad you stopped by and joined in the fun here. I have a I-6 sitting on the floor and wish I could take you up on your offer, too bad I'm in North Carolina.

Got a question, Have you tested the stroke on the engine? There is a saying around here that they are all 390s on sale day. The 352 was the only V8 available for the pickup up until 69 I think and the two engines are identical on the outside.

You wil need to swap the complete drive train because the FE is so torquee that is runs a low 3.0 rear ratio and the 6 will require a high 3. ratio.

Most of those old trucks didn't get much difference in mpg, so I don't know if it's worth the effort in labor that it will take to change it all out.

all IMHO

John
according to the PO it isnt the original engine, was supposed to have been a transplant circa 1973. i didn't want an FE anyway so i wasn't too concerned
about what it really is, and i havent measured the stroke. that's one thing i hate about the FE is trying to identify them. really it's a moot point because
i doubt there will be someone in the area that will have a six for trade and i am unable to deliver it.
however, if i do find someone and they want to be sure i will measure the stroke and they may also do so in person.
as far as changing the whole drivetrain, i am prepared to do so if i have to, and it isn't mileage i am after, i simply prefer inline engines

Old 09-10-2005, 05:47 AM
jowilker
Post Fiend
I know what you are saying, it's a Ford thing. Do you know how to tell the difference between a 240 and a 300 I6??

Like the FE they are identical, so ya gotta measure the stroke. How about a 289/302?

John

Old 09-10-2005, 06:15 PM
kewlcracker
New User
Originally Posted by jowilker
I know what you are saying, it's a Ford thing. Do you know how to tell the difference between a 240 and a 300 I6??

Like the FE they are identical, so ya gotta measure the stroke. How about a 289/302?

John
well a 302 is a stroked 289 right? so again measure the stroke i would think

i read on the forums somewhere here that if you pull the intake manifold
the displacement is cast in the lifter gallery too. never did that though so i don't know

Old 09-10-2005, 07:53 PM
63redtudor
Senior User
63redtudor is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are several 300s in a yard near me in Colorado. I don't have use for a 390 though.
Edwin

Old 09-11-2005, 08:08 AM
jowilker
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kewlcracker
well a 302 is a stroked 289 right? so again measure the stroke i would think

i read on the forums somewhere here that if you pull the intake manifold
the displacement is cast in the lifter gallery too. never did that though so i don't know
Yes sir it is, and a 300 is a stroked 240.

The ol wire through the sparkplug hole is a good way to measure and tell for sure.

John