1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Alternative fuel conversions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Triumph
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternative fuel conversions?

I know it has probably been talked about already ...buuuut.... I am curious as to what fuel conversion options I have with my 352 (1966 F250).

My fresh rebuild,C6 & Higway geared DANA gets me pretty damn good mileage (an O.D. would be even more helpful)....but not good enough to justify paying 3.50 a gallon.

What are the options for an FE? How expensive? and who here has done the research?

I refuse to get rid of my truck, as I have been waiting for half my life to be able to afford to do one up right!
Thanks in advance, Thom

Old 09-06-2005, 12:05 PM
TremecGT
Senior User
I would think that a propane conversion would be your best bet, although I have no experience with it. Any other alternative would require a complete motor transplant where as you could retro your existing 352 to run on propane.

Or, get a cheap 4 banger ranger and save the 66 for special occasions!

Old 09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
There are quite a few threads in the FE engine forum about propane converstions.

This one https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hlight=propane is pretty good.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Triumph
Senior User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info!.......I figure it cant hurt to do a little research......I am pretty sure we will not be getting gas for less than $3.00 any time soon...(or ever again for that matter!).

I am not giving up my truck....

Old 09-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
There is lots of info in the alternative fuels and mileage forum...

Old 09-07-2005, 09:33 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Well I have had propane on two of my trucks the first was a 68 F250 with a 390 It ran great used to pull my fith wheel up any hill even pulled it up highway 1. The second was my 65 but it was one of my fathers last wish's to see the old girl back on gas. They were both dual fuel either gas or propane. The problem with the 65 was that my dad ran it for at least 17 years on the propane and all three tanks rotted out. I left the complete package up at his property in Oregon and I may just go up there and install it once again on the old 65.

When you run propane you get a lot of benifits. The oil never gets dirty when you change it, it looks like new but it still loses it's properties. another benifit is that it starts and runs cold a lot better than when on gas. You will lose just a bit of the snap you get from gas and a bit of horse power so they tell me I never noticed the loss of power. Another drw back is locating propane but if you set it up dual fuel you can always switch back to gas until you find propane. Oh yeah propane is much cheaper or at least it used to be.

Good luck.

jd