1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Orleans/Biloxi & Surrounding affected areas:

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 07:49 AM
53Merc
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New Orleans/Biloxi & Surrounding affected areas:

Hi Folks
I am inserting a message from the president of my local Truck Club -
Southern Ontario Classic Pickups about an idea we have to support the millions of Americans affected by Katrina... we're not quite sure what willbe most needed and when but some of you I know are from the south and you could perhaps better direct what, where, when..maybe even the how if you are part of a club or trucking businsess or whatever...

We want to help but we certainly don't want to tie up supply routes and capacity. Let us know if you have good quality information or contacts.
You can read Presient Gary Pratt's idea below.
You are in our thoughts and prayers.

GW

Tonite I asked my kids to sit down and watch the devestation in the South so they know what is going on. To them, tragedy often means no batteries to work their gameboy, now they understand that tragedy is no power to run the heart and lung machine that keeps your mother alive. Tragedy used to be having to try brocolli, now it means trying to find anything to eat or drink.

As Gene and some of you who have been around the SOCP truck club for years may remember, about 14 years ago there was widespread flooding in Iowa and surrounding states. At that time, our club contacted another F-100 club, Central Iowa F-100s and asked what we could do to help. They informed us that food was being received as was enough water but that people had lost most or all of their personal belongings. What he suggested was sending clothes, toys, and stuffed animals for kids and adults who were without.

We organized a meeting and put together and boxed several large boxes of stuff that we collected from members, their families and friends and got it ready to ship. Then through the generosity of our Treasurer, Bruce Pawson, he picked up the tab through his business to ship it there. It was a great bonding experience for the club and I know how much it was appreciated by the Red Cross in Iowa.

I'm wondering if we could put something like this together again quickly to help these people out. Maybe a Ford truck connection in Alabama that I know could direct us where to send these items. It also would be great if we could find a business sponsor to pick up the tab once again, could be a couple of smaller ones, or mayeb a big one like Maple Lodge farms, or Chrysler, or GM. What do you guys think? Once these people are relocated, they still need help and I can imagine that there are probably a lot of little kids who would love to have a stuffed animal to help them get to sleep again.

Maybe we can make a difference.
L8R
Gary

Old 09-03-2005, 08:28 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GW

I applaude your need to "Do Something" for the victums of the hurricane.
That said, I spent thirty plus years in the disaster response field. Donations of clothes, furniture, and like items usually end up going to a landfill and take up needed space there. It is very labor intensive to handle this type of donation and it rapidly becomes a logistical nightmare.
If you what to/ need to help in some way please contact one of the proven relief agencies listed below and ask then what they need or how you can best assist them.

American Red Cross, (800) HELP NOW (435-7669) English, (800) 257-7575 Spanish.
Operation Blessing, (800) 436-6348.
America's Second Harvest, (800) 344-8070.
Adventist Community Services, (800) 381-7171.
Catholic Charities USA, (703) 549-1390.
Christian Disaster Response, (941) 956-5183 or (941) 551-9554.
Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, (800) 848-5818.
Church World Service, (800) 297-1516.
Convoy of Hope, (417) 823-8998.
Lutheran Disaster Response, (800) 638-3522.
Mennonite Disaster Service, (717) 859-2210.
Nazarene Disaster Response, (888) 256-5886.
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, (800) 872-3283.
Salvation Army, (800) 725-2769.
Southern Baptist Convention-Disaster Relief, (800) 462-8657, Ext. 6440.
United Methodist Committee on Relief. (800) 554-8583.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:25 AM
jgc2521
Elder User
If you are interested we are a Donations center for the american Red Cross and
try to keep a gym full of suppplies, we end up running out everyday... Every little bit is appretiated. I think that you could email the church or something.

Couch, with
First Baptist Church New Roads

824 W. Main, New Roads, Louisiana 70760

you could email the curch at churchoffice@fbcnr.org

Old 09-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the Rather Important things that will Always Help is to get Training in Emergency 1st Aid, CPR & in using an AED taught by the American Heart Assoc. along w/ Disaster Assistence training from ARC.
Then go to your Local F.D. & Join CERT, Community Emergency Response Team. They will continue your training & keep you updated & sign up to be Activated for 'Call Outs" when an Emergency happens in your Community & else where.
The Local L.A.F.D. CERT members have been Activated & some are being sent to New Orleans, La. to assist in the Disaster Relief efforts.

Last edited by Col Flashman; 09-03-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:55 AM
53Merc
Elder User
Thumbs up

Thanks Guys, Good Suggestions!
I suspect we'll do a combination of money and still some "stuffed animals" or something just because of the "felt component" of sending and receiving something tangiable from someone far away who is thnking of you.

Through a member's wife, we may have a sponsor for transportation.

GW

Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 PM
oscarxyz
Senior User
A donation "center" we have always contributed through is collecting donations for Katrina also.
We work with them for 2 main reasons as compared to other organization.
1. They have 0 (zero) administrative overhead costs. All monies collect are passed along to the cause. All normal administrative costs are donated by the folks.
2. Their many purpose is "children with diabetes (type 1). Three of my children have developed Type 1 diabetes so this organization is near and dear to my heart.

They are collecting for all types of medical needs, not just diabetes. You can learn more about them by followling this link http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index_cwd.htm

God bless all the folks helping out in any way possible.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:56 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
donations

sorry guys.... Katrina had me in the dark for 4 days... trees down.... shingles missing... and a heck of a mess to clean up.... and we were 300 miles away !!!!

I know this is not exactly on the subject but still relevent..

We've made our donations this weekend to the Red Cross and Salvation Army... but it seems impersonal to me to just write a check and I've found a better way. Something you guys down south might have an opportunity to do.... Here in B'ham we have lots of Gulf Coast refugees staying in hotels and shelters... (I'm sure anyone in Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and several other states have some too)

Saturday nite at church we had a family (mom,dad and 2 kids) from Kenner, La attending Mass.. I heard someone mention it and they had probably lost most of what they left... The wife and I caught up with them after church and talked awhile... we found out they were staying at a local hotel and just waiting to be able to go back and see what was left.. when we parted I told him and his wife we were praying for them and shook his hand with some cash in it... not a bunch, but it will pay for a few nights in the hotel. I'm also calling the church office tomorrow and find out which hotel (he wouldn't tell me) and pick up some gift certificates from local restaurants and drop them off at the desk for them.

This is something we can all do and it makes you feel better when you can put a face (or a family of faces ) to it.

Watch for Gulf Coast state tags at the service stations or restaurants and strike up a conversation.... buy somebody a tank of gas or a meal...

It's filling an immediate need and there are no administrative cost cut from it !

later
John

Last edited by jniolon; 09-05-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:32 PM
53Merc
Elder User
Thanks John!

I was hoping to hear from you and hoping you were not affected.
Those are great suggestions...but haven't seen any Gulf State tags up here in Ontario

We were looking for some way to make it more meaningful and personal as well...but from a long distance

GW

Old 09-05-2005, 08:49 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Gary,

let me do some local inquiries.... and see if there is anything your group can do other than just throwing money at them..... ...

I'll get back to you in a day or so..

j

Old 09-06-2005, 07:00 AM
53Merc
Elder User
Thanks Again John,
appreciate it.

Gerry McLellan
Southern Ontario Classic Pickups