1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mystery Wheel Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
2bocat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery Wheel Cylinder

My '50 F-3, fresh from the farmer's field has original 8-bolt wheels on the back and 5 x 5.5 bolt 16" wheels on the front. While working through the brake system last night, I finally got to looking at the front wheel cylinders. The front wheels are old, and obviously came from something else, but I wasn't prepared to find a wheel cylinder with a 1-3/8" bore on one end and a 1" bore on the other. It's got kind of a cone shaped spring in it to accomodate the body. The body bore changes diameter at the center in one step. Oddly, it's machined to be held in place by three 1/2" bolts (as opposed to the far more common "three bolts remaining, one broken off in hole" option elsewhere on the truck ). I've never seen such a wheel cylinder. NAPA can't identify the thing. I could post a picture here if that's helpful, but can anyone tell what this is from? Old Dodge or International?

Old 08-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Have you looked at a factory wheel cylinder for 1950 F1 or a few years newer? Post a few pictures for us.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:11 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, those wheel cyls are stock for that truck. Part number is 21A 2061 for left, 21A 2062 for right. Take these numbers to NAPA or CarQuest and they can enter it into the computer to cross over to thier numbers. If not, try JobLot auto in Queens, NY and Bob Selzam in N.J to name a couple. There's a place in Washington state that has them.

Collectors auto supply, Oroville, WA. 1-800-414-4462

They list 22 of each number in stock.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 PM
2bocat
Senior User
Thumbs up

Thanks Chris...

These wheel cylinders are definetly not "stock" on a '50 F-3. However, I went to studying a book with a Ford hero at NAPA and we sorted out that they fit '42 - '48 half-ton trucks. Crazy looking things with the two different sized bores...Anyway, someone in the past put these five bolt wheels up front on the F-3 either to give the truck a raked look or got halfway through a conversion to 5-bolts all around, or who knows...55 years is a long time to do some weird stuff as I'm sure you've found in yours...

Thanks as always!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I bet they had a hard time finding the F3 brake parts so they put the F1 parts on the front they are cheaper and easier to find. I am willing to bet all the front pieces are F1. The spindles are exactly the same for an F1 and an F3.

Originally Posted by 2bocat
Thanks Chris...

These wheel cylinders are definetly not "stock" on a '50 F-3. However, I went to studying a book with a Ford hero at NAPA and we sorted out that they fit '42 - '48 half-ton trucks. Crazy looking things with the two different sized bores...Anyway, someone in the past put these five bolt wheels up front on the F-3 either to give the truck a raked look or got halfway through a conversion to 5-bolts all around, or who knows...55 years is a long time to do some weird stuff as I'm sure you've found in yours...

Thanks as always!

Old 08-31-2005, 07:26 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
I imagine they were intending to put more force (greater piston area) on the primary shoe. The 1-3/8" piston has 90% more area than the 1" piston.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:05 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
As I recall, the larger piston is on the shoe that is not self-energizing; the one that is self-energizing doesn't need as much force to generate braking power.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:14 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the truck has the stock axle in front, what I listed is "stock". I got the info right out of my parts book. If the truck has 5 bolt rims, then it's not "stock". I assumed you had a stock front end.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 08-31-2005, 11:31 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
2bobcat's truck is an F3. My F3 (stock 8 lug wheels) and other F3 trucks '48-'52 that I've salvaged parts from, have had wheel cylinders front and back that have pistons all the same diameter.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:48 PM
2bocat
Senior User
Talking

Yup Steve - mines an F-3 with (apparently) 1942 - 1948 5-bolt backing plates and rims up front. Pics in gallery...actually looks kinda mean...in a caveman sorta way

Old 08-31-2005, 02:14 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
No doubt; it looks mean. Are you planning to keep it that way or set it up with matching backing plates all around?

Old 08-31-2005, 07:23 PM
2bocat
Senior User
make tank move

Goal at moment is to make the thing moveable under its own power. It's rather stuck in the shop at the moment. To that end, I repaired fuel pump and got motor running (still needs carb kit and pass. side water pump work), cleaned out the gas tank (a great example of working harder not smarter...geez), honed/kitted the rear brakes and will finish honing/rebuilding the front brakes shortly. I gotta finish my '66 before I start anything else!...but at least I'll be able to get the '50 in and out of the way when I need to. Ultimately, I'll replace the rear axle with a newer 9-inch, 5 x 5.5 axle so I can actually repair the brakes properly. I think it'd be a hoot to drive this tank to work occasionally! ...tell you what, you've got to be a man's man to monkey with those huge heavy original brakes/drums/axles on the back of the F-3s. BTW - do you have any idea why Ford put the three countersunk screws in the original rear drums that hold them to the axle? What with 8 big lugs to do the same thing, I can't figure out the purpose of these three little screws...

Old 08-31-2005, 08:56 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
I wondered about the value of those screws myself. The slots in mine were very spread open. I used a square shank screw driver and turned them with a 12" crescent wrench to get them off. I replaced them with stainless steel allen-drive flathead screws. I could see having one just to hold the drums in place on the assembly line until the wheels are in place, but three is a mystery; maybe they were worried about balance if they just used one.

I've toyed with the idea of a 9" Ford rear end, but I would stay with 8 lugs.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:58 AM
2bocat
Senior User
Ya...I had to bash mine with a punch to get them started before I could use a regular screwdriver to finish removing them. Wheel bearings looked kinda odd when I took the front drums off last night. Upon closer inspection, the inner bearings don't seat against the back of the spindles. I tapped the first one with a punch to try to get it off the spindle and it fell into two pieces!....glad I didn't "get" to drive the thing before I took a good look around. Amazing... Anyway...guess I get to spend some more money for bearings now, oh and a rubber brake line, and a carb rebuild kit, and a water pump, and some antifreeze, and...geez I'm going broke on my "quick" fix-up program.

I don't know what your experience has been, but whoever originally sorted out the design for the master cylinder on these trucks should have been summarily executed. Got that dang thing installed too last night in a hail of profanity bad enough to make the dog leave the shop...

Meant to mention I really love the paint on your '52...nice job.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:05 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
They really tucked away that master cylinder. I've contemplated getting a modern two resevoir, possibly power brake, master cylinder. It would be easier if that cab were not in the way.

Thanks for the compliment on the paint; I just got the front sheet metal and painted and reassembled this spring.