Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

the remains of Katrina will be coming through tonight and tomorrow

Old 08-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the remains of Katrina will be coming through tonight and tomorrow

Lots of rain - there are flood warnings out. There was a high wind warning, and as always - in the wake of every such storm the possibility of tornadoes exists.

The storm track is more or less directly east of Memphis, and the eastern side (If I have it right) might be the worst of it.

We can expect five inches of rain, and flooding in low areas

Old 08-30-2005, 03:00 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Doesn't seem to be all that bad around here, some of the dead limbs in our tree's weren't even budged, and it didn't flood our neighborhood, not sure of the rest of the town.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the only tree in my front yard missing about half of it's branches now. Actually, they're not missing, just relocated to the front yard. Great...more yard work.

Sean

Old 08-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
We got a lot of rain and wind in Bartlett. Great day to buy a convertible, huh! I've seen a few trees dismantled, but my yard has about the normal amount of limbs down (riverbirch!).

I can't believe the news coming out of Biloxi and NO. I can't see staying for that to happen again. The Mississippi River is awesome enough standing several feet above it, much less living 10 feet below it!

Old 08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Bend over at the pump when you fill up your vehicle, news showed a place that jumped 40 cents, another said they'll be going up 99 cents by tomorrow, be $3.24 for their gas. Anyone who believes oil shortages and price per barrel is the cause, how about this: last week a major oil ex was on the stock show bragging about how their profits had tripled. They think the consumer is stupid, hell, the gov could put a stop to this if they wanted, better before it inflates everything.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
We filled up the Excursion yesterday for $2.49/gal. We don't like to fill it up all the way most of the time because 40 gallons of gas weighs a lot! Hopefully before we need it again, it will be within reason. I had already decided to buy a new convertible that gets 30 MPG. If I can just siphon the full tank out of my dead houpty.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:35 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Fat lot of good I was for watching the weather that night - power went out until well after the storm passed through. I could see lights all around my place - just not along Barton Road...

As far as fuel, if I can get even a little bit ahead I am seriously re-considering what I need as a daily driver and have been for a while.

A motorcycle would do - even if it rained on me a little.

Gas was already up to $2.50 at the little store down the way, too bad my truck won't run on BEER. It's about to be cheaper than fuel...

Old 08-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
Yeah, I just filled the Motorcycle up (65 mpg) @ 3.15 a gallon tonight. Damn...good thing I'm not driving the Mustang (9 mpg) or the truck (10.5 mpg) right now.

Sean

Old 08-31-2005, 10:46 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
I have no choice, the van get's 10 MPG city, it's the easiest vehicle for me to operate, handicap mini vans end up costing $60,000, damn conversion is equal to it's cost, and shops won't convert one older than 3 years, unlike full size because they require serious structural altering work. I can get in other vehicles, but the chair I have currently requires someone else to load it, making going out alone, totally impossible.
I'm almost to the point, ins refuses to replace this chair, needs replaced, if I sell my truck, I want to buy a certain chair known for it's radically small folding, and looking into small economical vehicles. I'll never get rid of my van, I need it when I'm not healthy enough to transfer into a car, and when going to visit family, I need space for carrying necessities.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:37 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
My truck is setting in the driveway & I'm driving my company truck as much as I can. I'll be driving as little as possible with these gas prices. I hope these prices go down before hunting season opens.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
My brother used to drive a handicapped equipped '73 Eldorado because he could fold his chair , move the seat forward, pull the chair in behind him, and move the seat back.

It tore the daylights out of the door and back of the drivers seat though...

I can't imagine a car like that these days - the fuel guage needle visibly moved as it was going down the highway! It got him through college though.

It was eventually scrapped after my father worked on the brakes and wrecked it driving it around after his own cars quit running.

- Talk about your own maintenance coming back to bite you...

Search this Thread