1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I've tried every cuss word in the book, and it still won't fit!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 PM
2bocat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry...in this picture

where are the holes looking out onto the ground located?

Old 09-02-2005, 07:26 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
That is not the picture of my installation . And that is a rusted out kick panel. There is a small square knock out located on the inner fender well/kick panel. And also 4 round knock outs. 3 of the 4 round knock outs are for the bolts to hold the bulkhead flange, and the 4th hole is to run your wiring from the outside motor/blower into the cab.

On the inside of the cab you have a 4" round bulkhead flange. It mounts through the inner fender well/kick panel out to the motor/blower housing. The motor/blower housing bolts through the fender well to the 4" round bulkhead flange.

The above photo is of a Majic Air heater/fresh air unit. I went with a Ford "script" heater that I was so grateful to find off of a member here. 49Willard a member here, had a NOS script Ford heater that had never been used (what a FIND!).

Both the heater in your photo and the other Ford heaters have the same sized inlet as can be seen on the far right of your photo. The inlet is 4 3/4" x 1 3/4" square. This square inlet attaches to the 4" bulkhead flange using a section of flex hose. The flex hose is 4 3/4" x 1 3/4" square at one end.... and turns into a 4" round at the other end. This is how the heater mounts to the fender well/kick panel.

I will post some pics of the installed heater, and show the details.

Once again the above photo is showing a very rusted out cab. The big holes you see are not supposed to be there..... unless of course the inner fender well is simply gone.
THE only hole going out from the cab to the outside of the truck is a 3 1/2" x3`1/2" square hole (approx), and the above mentioned bolt holes/wiring hole.

Hope the above is clear. Once I have the pictures up it will likely make more sense.

Last edited by BlueDolphin; 09-02-2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:36 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User

Here is a photo similar to what you see in your picture above. As you can see there is a 4" round bulkhead flange attached to the kick panel/inner fender well "INSIDE" the truck. Outside the truck the motor/blower is attached to this flange (from outside under the fender).

Below is a picture of the motor/blower attached from the outside. It is attached up under the fender. It attaches through the inner fender well/kick panel.... to the inside 4" round bulkhead (as seen in my top photo).

There is a flex hose that attaches from the heater to the 4" round bulkhead/flange.

Last edited by BlueDolphin; 09-02-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:21 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
Here are photos of my heater duct parts before and after.

Here are the parts before sandblasting. All of these parts except the round bulkhead flange (lower right hand side of photo), run outside the truck under the fender well.

Below are some of the parts after sandblasting and paint.

Below are photos of the installed components. This is a photo looking up under the fender well. You can see the motor/blower mounted up inside the fender well. You can also see more of the tubing that runs from the motor/blower up to the front of the truck.

Below is a photo looking up under the fender well towards the front of the truck. You can see the intake mounted just above the headlight bucket. Be sure to install screen material (to keep large objects from entering) between the intake and the mounting location.

Below are photos (INSIDE the truck) again of the heater and the bulkhead flange mounted to the kick panel/inner fender well. If you look closely you can see the motor/blower squirrel cage through the round bulkhead/flange. As noted above the motor/blower is mounted outside the truck up under the fender well.

Hope the above helps. I still need to find the flex hose that runs from the heater to the bulkhead. I received the wrong hose from "Classic Auto Parts, Inc.." So far they have sent me pretty much all the wrong parts when I have placed orders with them. I have to say they seem like they are having some real issues with the way they are running things. There catalog is wrong on many of the parts they show for 48-50 trucks.

If anyone knows where to get the flex hose, please let me know. I am trying to contact "Motormite" Manufacturing (makers of Mighty Flow hoses), to see if they can get me what I need. I need a hose that is 4 3/4" x 1 3/4" square on one end, and 4" diam round on the other.

TIPS: If you are removing the above parts from a truck BE SURE to use a punch tool to mark the orientation of the tubes, etc.. It will make putting it all back together much easier. Also be sure to lube the joints with penetrating oil or soap so that you can more easily rotate the fittings one you have them up under the fender. This greatly helps in tweaking everything to fit up right.

Last edited by BlueDolphin; 09-02-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue -

Great install and the pictures say it all!
Apparently swearing in French works pretty well. I'll have to remember that.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
Thanks Randy Jack...

As usual my post is long winded... but maybe it will help someone in the future.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:31 PM
2bocat
Senior User
Thumbs up We're not worthy!!!!

Where's that "we're not worthy" emoticon when I need it?!!

Thanks much. Pictures are indeed worth a thousand words. You should look into making the few minor modifications that it would take to turn this into a tech article, thus preserving this post from being lost in the winds of time within a few weeks/months. I was having a hang of a time figuring out how the outside of your truck looked so perfect, yet the inside had holes rusted through big enough to stick your head through!!! I should send you some pics of the caveman version of this setup that's welded into my "fresh barn find" '50 F-3...you'd feel alot better! I'm a real "restore it back the way it came" fan. Thanks again...

Old 09-06-2005, 08:38 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Blue,

Fantastic article and pics! Thanks very much!
I am going to save it and hopefully be able to find it at some point in the future when I get to messing with heater stuff

Thanks again
Bobby