6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Royal Purple???

Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Catfish_Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used Royal Purple in my '92 4.0 Explorer for 49,000 miles without a problem. I added about 2,000 miles to my oil change intervals and oil analysis reports came back very even and within all tolerances every time.

If you want to try a synthetic in a diesel, it can get pretty expensive. (Royal purple or any other brand of syn.)

I personally would not try to extend oil change intervals without monitoring the oil through lab tests. You can pull a sample and send it out even if you are not changing the oil.

Oil analysis is not cheap in itself, but the results might give you an idea about how much you might be able to extend changes with any syn. Depending on results, you might just chance the filter and keep on trucking.

Watch the TBN (Total base number) on the analysis. When the additive to keep your diesel is used up the TBN will go to "alert" limits. That is definately the time to do the change. Also watch the viscosity and particle counts. Bad vis. at high temp, says change NOW! High large particle counts says engine damage possible! (change and resample in 500 miles) High small particle counts says change the oil! (normal wear debries suspended in the oil are excesive)

Those that are running syns in the 6.0 need to post their oil sample results with change intervals.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:51 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
The oil in natural gas fueled engines doesn't get dirty for the most part, due to fuel being gaseous, not liquid. Install a bypass filter, and you'll go forever.

Originally Posted by mrxlh
OXY petroleum switched over to Royal Purple synthetic in all of their Nat Gas engines when they had a bunch of platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. They got good extended oil changes out of it, (Jeff will certainly have a comment here, I am not advocating extended oil changes, just stating when you buy 50,000 gallons of engine oil a year extended OCI can save you real money without ill effects if coupled with a good oil analysis program) had no issues with the swap, and had less main & rod bearing wear showing during their annual inspections. I would not hesitate to use it, however the only reason that I chose what I chose (rotella t synthetic) was simply because of its availability in my local area.

Ryan

Old 10-05-2005, 09:28 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 3/4ER
The oil in natural gas fueled engines doesn't get dirty for the most part, due to fuel being gaseous, not liquid. Install a bypass filter, and you'll go forever.
Thats a pretty loaded statement. How many have you rebuilt? How many failures have you analized? Exactly which brand are you familiar with? Waukesha, Cat, Cooper Bessemer, Clark, Worthington, White Superior, Ingersol Rand, Ajax? Naturally aspriated or turbo charged, which ignition system, which carburator? Remember the engines that are offshore run off of wellhead gas, not pipeline quality gas, big big big difference. H2S, BTU content variation, maintenance not performed on schedule, ect. ect.

Ryan
IH....."Too fast to farm, too slow to truck"

Old 10-05-2005, 10:04 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
What's loaded about it? The statement was engines run on natural gas. not wellhead gas or whatever. Vehicles run on LPG are shown to have virually no contamination of the crankcase oil, because there is no liquid to run down the cylinder walls into the crankcase, and it burns cleaner. That's all I stated, and there is no need to BS about your extensive knowledge of off shore well drilling.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:18 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
What's loaded about it? The statement was engines run on natural gas. not wellhead gas or whatever. Vehicles run on LPG are shown to have virually no contamination of the crankcase oil, because there is no liquid to run down the cylinder walls into the crankcase, and it burns cleaner. That's all I stated, and there is no need to BS about your extensive knowledge of off shore well drilling.
LPG is not natural gas. You are compairing a light duty engine to a industrial duty engine. Diesels are industrial duty, as are their NATURAL GAS counter parts. (Identical except for compression ratio, and that one has a magneto, a carb and spark plugs and the other has an injection pump, injectors.) I would only be BSing you about offshore well drilling, as I am not a drilling hand, but I do know enough to know that I hate anything associated with drilling, I am a compressor mechanic that works on large stationary engines (smallest one I have worked on is 817 cubic inches) that run 24/ 7/ 365. I have seen how well oil does and doesn't hold up in these engines. I have also shoveled carbon out of these CLEAN BURNING engines, as you have stated. Remember that you misquoted me, not the other way around.

Ryan

Old 10-05-2005, 11:06 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
And my statement had no truth to it? I'm not talking about some exotic engines here. It's common knowledge vehicles run on natural gas, propane whatever don't suffer from the same degradation of the oil, as do conventionally fueled engines. If the engines you work on were conventionally fueled, I'm sure the crankcases would've been a lot worst looking.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:37 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Any questions ...go back to post #2

Old 10-06-2005, 12:01 PM
ZBeeble
Senior User
Up here, I tried to go with Scheiffer oil for my first oil change and couldn't get it shipped in time. For my second oil change, I put in the Scheiffer. Since it was hard to get, and I found Royal Purple at the local performance store, I've put Royal Purple in for the last two changes.

Now... the 15w40 Scheiffer ran very well through the winter here --- and the winter here is mild for Canada (Toronto area). I'm hoping that the Royal Purple will serve me in the winter as well --- because I'm loathe to put 10w30 in such a hard working beast.

I have sample bottles of the Royal Puple here to send to the analysis place, but I havn't sent them yet because I'm lazy. If and when I do, I'll likely post those results.

However, The last fill was a good 12k km of running and I had no complaints about the oil.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:00 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
And my statement had no truth to it? I'm not talking about some exotic engines here. It's common knowledge vehicles run on natural gas, propane whatever don't suffer from the same degradation of the oil, as do conventionally fueled engines. If the engines you work on were conventionally fueled, I'm sure the crankcases would've been a lot worst looking.
It is not that your statement has no truth to it, but it is misleading. These are not exotic engines that I work on. They are all over the world, in various applications. They are the great grandfather of all industrial engines, including diesels. (Natural gas does not need to be refined, or transported so alot more research was put into natural gas engines than a diesel back in the 40's and 50's.)

However back to the thread, you do not work on them. If you have you would not have posted the statement about the bypass filter. As all of these engines have bypass filtration on them. With crankshafts starting at $100,000 and as much as $1,000,000 you would not want to risk frying one due to plugged filters. You would also try to get the most life out of 1150 gallons of oil pre oil change. Some are 2 strokes, others are 4 stroke. Both have their own select set of lubrication problems. One uses more oil than the other, so it is constantly being replaced, the other does not use as much. However a poorly tuned 2 cycle will literally leave enough carbon in the crankcase that you could shovel it out. Natural gas and propane are both hydrocarbons, diesel is a distillate of crude oil, which has alot of the same hydro carbons present, being that many come form the same formations. (Gas is present on top of the oil, the oil also gives off gas vapor.) Therefore they leave much of the same deposits behind. Natural gas before, and even after sometimes gives off what is known as condensate. It resembles gasoline, and many old oilfield hands used to run it in their cars. They do not stink near as bad as a diesel, but just as nasty.

Don't take it personal, I am not trying to be an a hole, just trying to represent correct and accurate information. If I was wanting to be, I would have flamed you immesly for you lack of knowledge on the subject, then posting it, and then having the ***** to try to call someone when you were corrected on what you have no idea about. If it gets locked, well so be it. There KW, you can blame this one on me.

Ryan

Old 10-06-2005, 11:17 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
Feel good? Are you trying to inform someone with your expertise of some odd ball engines? I think your agenda is more to make someone look like a smuck, do a little research on the subject, you'll find out that natural gas fueled engines can have extended oil drain intervals due to less fuel contamination. Even with engines used in your industry, it's a fact that there would be less contamination of the crankcase oil, I never said you could run any engine indefinitely with the use of natural gas. I know how it must feel to have your manliness questioned, but all this was about, is the difference that natural gas makes on crankcase oil contamination. I don't know about you, but I feel better!

Originally Posted by mrxlh
It is not that your statement has no truth to it, but it is misleading. These are not exotic engines that I work on. They are all over the world, in various applications. They are the great grandfather of all industrial engines, including diesels. (Natural gas does not need to be refined, or transported so alot more research was put into natural gas engines than a diesel back in the 40's and 50's.)

However back to the thread, you do not work on them. If you have you would not have posted the statement about the bypass filter. As all of these engines have bypass filtration on them. With crankshafts starting at $100,000 and as much as $1,000,000 you would not want to risk frying one due to plugged filters. You would also try to get the most life out of 1150 gallons of oil pre oil change. Some are 2 strokes, others are 4 stroke. Both have their own select set of lubrication problems. One uses more oil than the other, so it is constantly being replaced, the other does not use as much. However a poorly tuned 2 cycle will literally leave enough carbon in the crankcase that you could shovel it out. Natural gas and propane are both hydrocarbons, diesel is a distillate of crude oil, which has alot of the same hydro carbons present, being that many come form the same formations. (Gas is present on top of the oil, the oil also gives off gas vapor.) Therefore they leave much of the same deposits behind. Natural gas before, and even after sometimes gives off what is known as condensate. It resembles gasoline, and many old oilfield hands used to run it in their cars. They do not stink near as bad as a diesel, but just as nasty.

Don't take it personal, I am not trying to be an a hole, just trying to represent correct and accurate information. If I was wanting to be, I would have flamed you immesly for you lack of knowledge on the subject, then posting it, and then having the ***** to try to call someone when you were corrected on what you have no idea about. If it gets locked, well so be it. There KW, you can blame this one on me.

Ryan

Old 10-07-2005, 09:33 AM
John Russell
Senior User
Gee, not to change the subject.......

All I have to say is I recently switched to Royal Purple in my 2003 F250 6.0 after a bit over 31,000 break in miles. I have used Blackstone since my first oil change and I am still about 1500 miles away from my first comparative sample from my 6.0 PSD. I do fully expect to see improvement from the Motorcraft.
That being said, I have used Royal Purple for almost six years in the heavily modified 460 I have in my Superformance Cobra replica and from that standpoint I can say that for the extreme duty I have put it through I STRONGLY recommend it if you want to protect a high dollar engine. I am currently running the Racing 41 oil in the Cobra with a 10.5/1 compression pump gas engine dyno'd at 568 hp at the crank, and a bit over 450 at the ground.
I like the stuff, and Jegs has our 15w-40 available in 5 gallon jugs on line.
I hope this brings this back to topic.
Thanks,
John Russell

Old 10-07-2005, 03:43 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
No 3/4er, I was not trying to make you look like a smuck. Could have, and probably am about to. The info that I offered in my original post was an experience that I know OXY petroleum had using Royal Purple in their engines. They switched from Conoco oil in them. The engines had less carbon in them, and less main and rod bearing wear. They also got extended oil changes out of the deal, because they all run oil analysis out in the gulf, it's cheap insurance.

Then you come along offering no intelligent info, or a specific experience GOOD or BAD using the said product that the thread originated around.

"The oil in natural gas fueled engines doesn't get dirty for the most part, due to fuel being gaseous, not liquid. Install a bypass filter, and you'll go forever."

Then in your last post you end up back to what I said in my original post.

"do a little research on the subject, you'll find out that natural gas fueled engines can have extended oil drain intervals due to less fuel contamination. Even with engines used in your industry, it's a fact that there would be less contamination of the crankcase oil,"

I guess the point here is that you actually do know very little about this subject. I am not a lubrication expert by no means myself. However in the future if you want to question someones manlyhood, as you stated, make sure you actually know something about the subject you are questioning him or her on. As of yet you still have brought no more insight to this thread.

As far as your research comment, I have, over 5 years worth,......in the crankcases of these engines, not in a magazine, or on a website.

Ryan

Old 10-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Motown Fire
More Turbo
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
Cat fight

Let's get ready to ruuuuuummmmmblllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle !!!

Old 10-07-2005, 06:42 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
Mrxlh, obviously all your interested in is knocking someone else, and then you go on to BS about your exploits [if you knew as much as you say, you wouldn't go around bragging about it], then you threaten to get really nasty [typical bully move].

All this over nonsense, a non issue [lets see you back up your boasts]. I see no one else backing you up, get over it, and move on. By the way, I've probably forgotten more then you'll ever know, and it's not nice to knock all the other people who frequent these forums for their lack of real world knowledge. Surely you don't see yourself as their savior, or mentor.

PS: I don't read magazines, I just look at the pictures.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:48 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
No need for personal comments or baiting.

If this continues, I will be forced to do what no-one likes (lock the thread).

Last edited by BigF350; 10-07-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Royal Purple???