Finally made the purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 04:16 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Finally made the purchase

Hey everyone,
My wife and I finally bought an F-250 Super Duty. I've been looking for awhile and found one in our price range, with what we wanted, and within a decent drive (_only_ 5 hours one-way, glad that's over). It's a 2000 F250 diesel Crew Cab 2WD Lariat, tow package, tow mirrors, 3.73 LSD diff, short bed, auto, 79k miles. Don't want to start a 2WD vs. 4WD thread, but the 2WD was all we needed. Our budget meant we could have 4WD or the Powerstroke, and since I don't do any off-road and it never snows here (but I want to get a 5th wheel camper) the diesel won.
I bought it from an independent dealer, but when I went to look at it at first the glovebox was full of maintenance records from the original owner. He never pulled anything needing the 7way connector, just a boat using the 4-flat connector. For all I could see it was taken care of, just some external scratches, etc which brought the price down (good for us). Before I bought I had blackstone labs look at samples of the engine oil, trans fluid and diff fluid; they said everything looked great, go buy the truck, just change the diff fluid (was probably original). The interior leather is pretty good for the age, I just cleaned / conditioned it with some Lexol stuff.
I can't wait to tow my travel trailer with it!

Anyway, I've been watching / reading for awhile and I'm happy to finally have one. I have some questions:

- Next weekend I'm going to change the diff fluid and coolant, so I'm sure that will be some fun. Any tips? I got the SCA stuff from the dealer and I was going to follow the FAQ for flushing the coolant system. I was going to get some synth diff fluid along with friction modifier since it's an LSD. I saw what looks like a filler plug on the side of the diff that takes a big Torx, is that it?

- Anyone experienced on adding aftermarket fog lights to the stock bumper (in what would be the stock location)? Mine didn't come with fog lights.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information on this website (and of course for this website period...)

Old 08-27-2005, 04:41 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats on your new purchase! post some pics of the ride up in your gallery!

oh, and welcome to FTE! if you ever have a concern, post it up. no such thing as a "stupid question" here.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:59 PM
GotLift
Elder User
Congratulations! I'm flying out to Houston Friday to pick mine up. I have at least a fourteen hour drive back. I got a 2000 F-250 crewcab, 7.3L, Lariet, 4x4.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:21 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Last year I flew to Dallas to buy mine, described in sig below. Drove it back to Los Angeles in about 24 hours after I picked up two dogs in McKinney to keep me company on the way home. Wish mine was a 2WD instead of four, but Ford tended to load-up the Lariats with everything. Just something else that I don't need to go wrong.

Enjoy the new ride. It will likely do everything you'll ever ask of it. Stick around here and learn what the shortcomings of it are, and what you can do to correct them.

Pop

Old 08-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Budkole
Senior User
Congrats, Ill bet you still havnt stopped grinning yet. i too still grinn when im in mine, I cant help it