1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear clearence w/ white bulbs lights illegal

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:30 PM
SilverDually
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clear clearence w/ white bulbs lights illegal

well not only 3 days after i bought clear clearence lights with white leds 194 bulbs do i get pulled over for illegal becons they call it the white lights on the roof are illegal only amber allowed in that area "EDIT" i spent some money on those leds those sellers sure dont say anything about it illegal oh well
and i life in IL will county cop pulls me over no ticket just a warning. any one else run in to this i get talking to him he says even white turn signal bulbs are illegal only amber there to . looking for input

Last edited by captchas; 08-25-2005 at 04:43 AM. Reason: masked profanity
Old 08-24-2005, 11:33 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is correct! NY state is also that way!
all clearance lights must be amber!
Rich

Old 08-24-2005, 11:46 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Varies from state to state. Also depends on the personality of the officer, I guess. It's like speeding; one pulls you over at 5MPH over the limit, another won't until you're at 10 or 15.

I know down here in Georgia or Alabama, you can pretty much do anything; short of putting spiked bumpers on your truck. They only give you a ticket / warning if they pull you over for something else.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the rules of the road dont say white is illegal...

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...rr_chap11.html

Old 08-25-2005, 03:26 AM
mh34444
Senior User
Oregon. Illegal. Only lights to be visable from the back of the vehicle are red and amber. From the front, white and amber.

If you see blue and red lights on the front of the car behind you, you probably have white clearance lights.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:50 AM
captchas
sorry, federal laws are in place that they can use also. thats like dark window tint film on the front door windows. federal highway laws state no, states laws some times say yes. to a level. like in ny 85%. in nj none. a ny car in nj will get a ticket if the man is a hard nose.
marker clearence lamps most be amber. or have amber bulbs under a white lens/clear lens.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
For Texas, all red/blue/white lights, unless specifically authorized in the Transportation Code (brake lamps, reverse lamps, etc.) are restricted to use by authorized emergency vehicles only.

In general, you can get away with pretty much anything amber (don't run anything that blinks unless you're authorized). Some places, you can get away with green (TX has no laws against green... in NY, green is used for volunteer EMS and is a prohibited color). Otherwise, stay away from it - you'll just get in trouble.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Originally Posted by BFR250SD
I know down here in Georgia or Alabama, you can pretty much do anything; short of putting spiked bumpers on your truck.
Anyone know where to get one?

Old 08-25-2005, 02:55 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverDually
well not only 3 days after i bought clear clearence lights with white leds 194 bulbs do i get pulled over for illegal becons they call it the white lights on the roof are illegal only amber allowed in that area "EDIT" i spent some money on those leds those sellers sure dont say anything about it illegal oh well
They want to sell the lights. They don't bother to tell you they're illegal in a lot of places, or they say "off-road" in fine-print somewhere.

I see lots of people running around with all sorts of crazy lighting arrangements. It is very confusing to everyone around you when it's dark out if you don't follow the "red-in-back, amber-on-the-side, white-in-front" rule.

It only increases the chances of someone hitting you because it has confused the "driving" part of their brain.

I know of no way to fix all that, or the legality of it where you are, but I would say this: Call the company you bought them from, tell them they didn't disclose they were illegal in most places, demand the money for the ticket and replacement lights that ARE legal. Maybe they'll cough up amber covers or whatever to fix the problem. If the sales guy you talk to doesn't want to help at all, ask for his supervisor and keep going ...

The company can be liable for lots of fines if they are selling off-road stuff and not disclosing that. Fair business practices, and all that.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
194 bulbs are used in many locations inside vehicles. Maybe you could switch them to those spots. Also possible they would exchange the white bulbs for amber, never hurts to ask!

Old 08-25-2005, 03:58 PM
wmcutter
Senior User
This may not help but I live in California and several years ago had to attend Traffic School here. The classes were given by a veteran Police Officer. He said that most Officers don't know all the laws and many have misconceptions. For instance, many think that it is illegal to drive barefoot. Not true. This veteran Officer also said that if your wheels hit the first limit line as the light goes red, this is not ticketable. Most will nail you for it because it's impossible for you to prove and the judge will take the Officer's word over yours. At least in California. Check your laws and if it doesn't prohibit what you're being ticket for, fight it. If you have the time and inclination; otherwise bite the bullet.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:39 PM
SilverDually
Senior User
well i didnt get a ticket just a warning i just dont understad why the roof lights are of any interest to the cops it seems like a insolent light so whats the big deal abot the color of the bulbs thats all i clearly understand the taillights and front lights but the clearence lights dont we have any freedom any more not trying to make a big deal of it thats all.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:31 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fords4Me
Anyone know where to get one?
I'm sure one of the NW boys has one.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
I had a similar instance with the little blue dots on the taillights of my '79 F150, you know the ones that make them look purple from a distance but they still look red up close. Virginia frowns on them.

I do think that clearance lights should be amber though. they always are. But since they are not required most likely on your truck there should be no big deal.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:54 AM
dansV10
Junior User
When I ordered my smoked clearance lights the salesman DID warn me to check local laws if I was to keep the white bulbs under the new lenses. I told him I really appreciated that little piece of info as I had not considered that. I knew red and blue would be out, but had not even considered the possibility white may also be illegal. Sure enough, amber is the only legal color allowed in my state for cab lights.

The white bulbs under smoked lenses DO look great however. Alas, that lasted 1 day befor the amber bulbs (provided in the smoked lens kit) went in.

Dan

Quick Reply: clear clearence w/ white bulbs lights illegal