1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

what brand bedliner fits a 79 8' bed the best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Big Bad Apple
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what brand bedliner fits a 79 8' bed the best?

Hello everyone, I am shopping for a plastic drop in (under the rail) bedliner for my 79 F-350 with a 8 foot bed (std wheel base). Pendaliner and Duraliner both list them as fitting 1974 through 1996 Ford trucks. A local truck accessory store says "the 80 to 96 liners do not fit the 73 to 79 trucks right" and he wouldn't put one in because it just doesnt look or fit right. He is not a dealer for Pendaliner or Duraliner though, the brand he sells doesn't even list one for 73 thru 79's

Does anyone have experiance with this? If you have a liner which is it? how does it fit and look. I need a liner because my truck is occasionally put in car/truck shows, and now that is repainted I dont want to scratch up the bed when I haul something.any help or recomendations would be appreciated.

I know alot of you are going to tell me to get a spray in liner. At this point that would be plan "B".

Thanks,
Dave
Omaha,NE

Old 08-18-2005, 06:25 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard guys on here pulling any liner that was the same length out of a full size truck, and put it in their 73-79s. Even chebby bedliners have suposadly fit.

If you decide to go with plan B and want to save money then get a roll on bedliner, I did, and I think it looks real good.

Untill then try doing a search on this site, and see if something comes up.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:03 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Most plastic drop-in bedliners fit about the same. I'm pretty sure that the inside bed dimensions on the 8 ft beds were the same from 73-96, so any liner for a Ford pickup from that era should work fine. I would definetly avoid the spray-in liner, as it takes away from the originality of the vehicle, and if you plan on entering the truck in car shows, the spray in liner will lose you points in judged shows.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Amtek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The spray on bedliner doesnt protect as good as a drop in liner when handling large heavy objects. They both cost about the same unless you do the spray on/roll on bedliner yourself. Personally I think a spray on would look nicer especially for a show truck rather than a plastic liner that has gaps everywhere and never really sits flush due to warping.

Old 08-19-2005, 03:48 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
The only difference between the BIG THREE truck beds and liners are how the wheel-wells are formed, at least that is what I have noticed, as well as some liners are off in length by up to a couple of inches, can't name any specific one though...

Old 08-19-2005, 07:03 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Bad Apple
Hello everyone, I am shopping for a plastic drop in (under the rail) bedliner for my 79 F-350 with a 8 foot bed (std wheel base). Pendaliner and Duraliner both list them as fitting 1974 through 1996 Ford trucks. A local truck accessory store says "the 80 to 96 liners do not fit the 73 to 79 trucks right" and he wouldn't put one in because it just doesnt look or fit right. He is not a dealer for Pendaliner or Duraliner though, the brand he sells doesn't even list one for 73 thru 79's

Does anyone have experiance with this? If you have a liner which is it? how does it fit and look. I need a liner because my truck is occasionally put in car/truck shows, and now that is repainted I dont want to scratch up the bed when I haul something.any help or recomendations would be appreciated.

I know alot of you are going to tell me to get a spray in liner. At this point that would be plan "B".

Thanks,
Dave
Omaha,NE
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Bryndon
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big Bad Apple

Thanks,
Dave
Omaha,NE
Dave,

If you go with a drop-in, make sure you buy a pad for under it - they vibrate and shift and will tear up the paint under them!

I think the others are right about the fit of almost any 8' liner. A Ford liner will probably assure proper wheelwell location.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Purely Ford
Elder User
Drop in bedliners aren't better overall than a spray in liner. Things slide around about like they are on ice in drop in plastic liners.

Debris gets under drop ins and will promote rust. Loading and unloading things will get snagged on them. They warp, crack and come loose from the tailgate. Last but not least, drop ins do not eliminate dents and such to truck beds.

If you need to haul stuff that is so awkward and heavy that it damages the bed of your truck then a trailer is the best solution.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:16 AM
DosMas
Freshman User
I have a liner in my 78 over the rail, will check the make when I get home from work. Personally I do not like it because it does not fit well (gaps), and it is made for the late 70's Ford. I have had the sprayed in other trucks and it is much better, but for a show truck and hauling I would personally get a bed mat.... they are cheap enough to get a new one occasionally and look great.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:44 PM
taneum
Senior User
Spray on bedliners now days are just as tought as the drop in bedliners and don't let anybody tell you any differently. The problem with drop in liners is the rub on the bed and rails (if you have an over the rail liner) and they rub off the pain and don't protect the bed. Dirt gets under them and they are not worth the time. Also, the conduct static electricity which sucks when you are at a gas station and need to get a gas can out. Also, they are slippery when they get wet.

Go with a spray on bed liner that perpanently protects the truck bed. If you are using it as a show truck, still go with the spray on. Even if you don't earn as many points, what is the truck worth to you if you start putting stuff on it that you don't even like.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:45 PM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
big bad apple, welcome to FTE,hope you enjoy this site,i happen to have a factory ford box liner from a 85 f250 4x4 in my 74 ,both are 8 ft box.it fits fine,mine is over the rail though.i also have a box liner that was in a chevshort box ,in my 79 f100 shortbox.im not sure if it was a factory deal or not,but it also fits.-billy

Old 08-19-2005, 08:23 PM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't believe I didn't welcome you, BigBadApple, to FTE, this is a great site to poke around on and find new and fascinating tips, tricks, ideas, and advice.

If an object is heavy enough, it will dent the truck bed if loaded improperly onto drop-in or spray-in liners...

As far as I know, when ANYTHING gets wet, it becomes slippery

Old 08-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Big Bad Apple
New User
Thanks for the help

Thanks to everyone who is helping me with this bedliner situation. I have decided against a spay in because i agree a few other members, that it wouldnt look right in a older truck. Plastic liners weren't around back then either but I think it would look beter with a plastic one. I want a "under rail" because of the paint rubbing and heat warping I have seen on "over the rail" ones.

I dont plan on hauling much but cant see scratching the new paint in the bed with something I might haul. I know the liner will rub the paint on the floor but I wont see it either. It only gets driven a few thousand miles a year and is garage kept. so water underneath shouldn't be a issue either.

If you have any more comments concerning fit, brand or personal experiances please continue.

Thanks Again,
Dave
Omaha, NE

Old 08-19-2005, 09:22 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Big Bad Apple...

Here is the answer you are looking for ...

The guts of an 73-96 ford pickup bed are almost exactlly the same ... the Floor, and side panels where the wheel wells exist are the same, as is the head board.

Ive used "Ford" (duraliner makes them) bedliners for years in my pickups.. both 73-79's and 80's pickups... They fit great and look great too... I usually find them at my local salvage yards and can get them super cheap compaired to buyin them new... Besides you cant buy bedliners that have the "Ford" logo on them anywhere other than the ford dealer...

Old 08-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Big Bad Apple
New User
Dynamic, Thank you your info is appreciated.

Quick Reply: what brand bedliner fits a 79 8' bed the best?