Sponsored by: DP Tuner

blowing apart turbo...need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 12:06 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blowing apart turbo...need help

Well, I managed to slowly blow my turbo apart. I noticed that there was soot all over the firewall and turbo. A bolt(8mm) that holds the exhaust housing to the turbo pedistal/base had come out, causing it to leak. Got a new bolt to replace it, tried with the turbo still in the truck, but that didn't work so proceeded to pull the turbo out. Found that another one of those bolts had worked out, but was still caught in the pedistal. Got that one back in but the other one wasn't lining up correctly (while working on it in the truck). Once we got the turbo out and looking at it, looks like a third bolt was working out. Started looking at the impellors, and I am now going to need a rebuild or whole new(bigger) turbo, way too much play in the shaft. It's been leaking oil ever so slightly since I had it, just enough to leave marks down the back of the block. I knew it was coming from somewhere in that area, but I'm guessing the bearing seals on the turbo shaft have been bad for as long as I've had it (1.5yrs) and now I need to repair or replace it.
It's an early '99, so I don't think, or know of, any easy upgrades for the turbo, without getting a whole new intake. I'd love to get a ball bearing turbo, but they're all for 99.5 and later.

Does anyone know of a place that has upgrades for an early '99, or am I just going to have to rebuild?
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but from the info on the turbo, it's got a 1.10 A/R. If that's true, and if I understand that correctly, that is good and I should save some money by just rebuilding it. ?????
Thanks guys.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:14 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's pricey, but there is a 99.5 conversion kit available from dieselsite. You could run that BB on there that way. Runs about $2500 for the conversion kit with turbo.

They aslo have a complete rebuilding service.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:52 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks cookie, that's what I was looking for.
Are the Holset H2E turbo and Garrett BB turbo comparable?? I looked at each upgrade kit and just wondering what the benefits of one over the other are, if there are any?
If anyone has run either one of these, what were the improvements and how do you like it??
Thanks again!

Old 08-13-2005, 11:09 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually the H2 has several advantages. It's bigger, so it will be a bit laggy on the bottom end, but it's capable of flowing a little more on top. The H2 is also rebuildable where the BB is not and it has a larger selection of housings and wheels available. If you plan on bigger injectors or any other additional fuel it's probably a better choice than the BB

The only real advantages the BB turbo has is it's a very easy, drop in replacement and it costs $600 less than the Holset, and on a stock injector rig it will always be quicker.....and probably a little more efficient.

Since you will have to replace a bunch of parts anyways and the cost is roughly the same considering the parts you'll need.....well, it's a toss up to me. I love my BB turbo, but if I had it to do over I probably would select the H2.

Last edited by cookie88; 08-13-2005 at 11:13 AM.