1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Type of oil 239 V8 1954

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Inspector54
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type of oil 239 V8 1954

What oils are you running in the 239 V8's, I don't have a manual as of yet it being shipped as I type so a little help would be great, also oil filters what type do this engines use, air filter " oil bath " whats involved with these things...

Thanks

Old 08-09-2005, 11:07 PM
dylan1952
Senior User
Thumbs up

I always run a 30wt oil in the old engines. But consider what temperatures you have in your area is it real cold or hot in your area? Some put thicker oils for those engines that have alot of miles. Does your motor have the original canister for the oil filter or been converted to a spin on type? The original replacement filter cartridges aren't too hard to find.
Those old oil bath air cleaners I think are very neat and work. They took about 1 quart of engine oil and the dirt particles got stuck in the oil. You would never have to buy a filter just a extra quart of oil. If you have the correct one your a lucky guy. There are a few types out there and they can clamp on the carb. throat in slightly different ways. I think Earl can tell you about this in great detail as I recall.

Dylan1952

Old 08-10-2005, 06:32 AM
e william
Elder User
Inspector...For a project truck yours looks pretty sweet!

spin on Oil filters vary, I went with a shorter one to clear the exhaust headers, I use a paper air filter (still have a complete oil bath that was removed), I'm doing a engine rebuild so I'll go with a good 20\50 motor oil.

Do a search on internet...there are alot of companies that supply stock type parts for your truck. But from the looks of your gallery all you need to do is maintain...she looks real good as it is.

good luck, Ed

Old 08-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ed, old buddy, good pal (this is where you ask yourself "what does he want from me") - is your old oil bath in good shape and would you be willing to part with it (depending on what style it is)?

Old 08-10-2005, 02:59 PM
fking1
Elder User
I use 5W30 regular oil, not synthetic, in my 55 239. Havoline,Castrol, Pennzoil,etc.
converted the canister filter to a spin on with Motorcraft cartridges.
Fred

Old 08-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Ed - still want to know if your oil bath is in good shape and if you'd be willing to part with it.

On the issue of oil for the old Y-block, there were a couple of threads that went through this issue in some detail. If I remember correctly, the main concern has to do with loosening crud that has built up in the engine.

- If you have an engine that has never been rebuilt, or was rebuilt a long time ago (like in the 70s or earlier), there will likely be some deposits in the oil passages. If you put a newer detergent oil in the engine, you might (MIGHT) cause some of that crud to break loose and do some damage inside the engine.

- If you've had the engine innards cleaned up and the passages are clear, any reasonable modern oil will work fine as the fellas have said. The detergent in the newer oils will help keep the passages clean and you shouldn't have any problem on that score. I agree that the outside temperature is probably the thing to consider when choosing the oil weight you want to use. Keep in mind that the modern oils are so far superior to the oils available in the mid-fifties that anything you put in there is a huge improvement.

- The Y-block is known for poor upper engine oiling if I recall. As best I can remember, the culprit is a small passageway between the block and heads that connects two offset holes. The passageway does not appear to allow a lot of oil flow to the upper engine (push rods, rockers, valve stems, etc.). Some folks added an external copper tube from the lower engine oil gallery to the heads to help with this problem. Trouble is, they put a metering valve in the line so they wouldn't starve the bottom end for oil. If you adjusted the valve incorrectly, well ... let's just say you'd have a very bad day.

- When I had my 272 redone, they pointed out the crud that had built up in the block-to-head passageway. After having the block and heads hot-tanked, everything was nice and clean of course. I've got unusually high oil pressure (haven't figured out why it's over 80 psi yet), and I can see a good stream of oil (not drips) running down every push rod even at idle.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:47 PM
e william
Elder User
Hey Earl (George)... Yea, I think I can part with it with no problem...send me a p.m. so I can reply with some pics of it for you. You can see the condition and if its the one your looking for.
The more I can get off the floor the better chance I have of not bustin my
*** when I walk thru my garage !
Some old parts will become wall art....the oil bath is just too big to hang up.

I,ll look for the email. Ed

Old 08-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Ed, you have mail.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:26 PM
e william
Elder User
Hey George,
got the email and will take some pics and measure in the a.m. to send to you.

I Was up to the garage earlier and discovered the door was'nt locked, nothing missing but seemed as though someone had tried to open the equipment cabinet (pad lock held). I was broken into a couple of years ago and some s.o.b. took my welder and alot of dewalts.
Come to find out today my daughter ( 10 yrs.) went on a tape hunt while I was asleep. All family is now banned from the "man-land"!

Ed

Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Earl
Postmaster
I got so tired of the female population in my house taking my garage scissors that I bought a pair, painted the handles in a horrible color combination (messy paint job as well), and roughed up the handles. For a long time, they wouldn't touch them.

Well, I spent about an hour the other day looking for my scissors, MY scissors. I figgered I just set them down someplace and my remembery wasn't working. Turns out my wife "borrowed" them for some sewing and "forgot" to return them. Of all the things to waste an hour on! I didn't have to ban them from man-land that day, they didn't dare come out there.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:43 PM
e william
Elder User
I read to the end of you post and when i got to "they didnt dare..." I got the biggest laught (kept it to myself though)....

I love my family dearly, but sometimes wonder if the cave man really did have it under better control....with the drag-by-the-hair thing.

no offense intended for any of our women FTE'ers...your one of us!

ed

Old 08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Howdy,

I'm running Shell Rotella 15W-40 in my F-600 / 239 V-8. THe oil filter is a Baldwin B2.

I think it's pretty tired though since when hot it has about 5-10 PSI at idle. running down the road it's around 30-40 psi. I even put a direct reading gage on it because I didn't believe the Ford gage. Mine is very tired so I'm sure that there's a lot of oil going past the rod/main and cam bearings.

Regards,

Rick

Originally Posted by Inspector54
What oils are you running in the 239 V8's, I don't have a manual as of yet it being shipped as I type so a little help would be great, also oil filters what type do this engines use, air filter " oil bath " whats involved with these things...

Thanks