2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying A 2005 F-150 XLT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Landstrom
You are a victim of marketing.
Huh? Why would you say that?

Old 08-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
[QUOTE=Red Star]Huh? Why would you say that?

Why? Because you stated:

Originally Posted by Red Star
I don't know where you're living, but you don't wanna 4x2. Its gonna be nightmare driving during the winter if you live in place that gets a lot of snow.
Living in Minnesota, experience has shown me that these trucks go through snow and ice just fine with a limited slip rear end. Now if someboy lives up on the North shore, then 4WD would be worth it because 20" of snow happens over night but not if each snowfall is less than 8".

Old 08-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Eric Landstrom
Why? Because you stated:
Living in Minnesota, experience has shown me that these trucks go through snow and ice just fine with a limited slip rear end. Now if someboy lives up on the North shore, then 4WD would be worth it because 20" of snow happens over night but not if each snowfall is less than 8".
I did say get 4x4 if you live in the place that gets a lot of snow. I didn't say "Get 4x4 no matter what". My exact line was Its gonna be nightmare driving during the winter if you live in place that gets a lot of snow.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
Originally Posted by Red Star
I did say get 4x4 if you live in the place that gets a lot of snow. I didn't say "Get 4x4 no matter what". My exact line was Its gonna be nightmare driving during the winter if you live in place that gets a lot of snow.
Fair enough.

Old 08-06-2005, 05:09 PM
moreilly
New User
Thanks for all the info everyone! Time to visit Dale Jarret Ford tommorrow :-) I have decided against the long bed extended cab. So now my options have improved dramatically. I let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2005, 08:39 PM
TXpitdog
Freshman User
Don't forget to negotiate the holdback. Holdback is completely separate from "the absolute best price" the dealer is will to give.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:16 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
TXpitdog- there is no holdback in a friends and family deal- it's done at triple net.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:50 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by polarbear
TXpitdog- there is no holdback in a friends and family deal- it's done at triple net.

PB, you're too, too, too..............kind.

One of the reasons I left the car bizz was the owner's greed.........I'm now remembering the other reason.

Geez people, you're getting a car for basically BELOW invoice........and you STILL want to grind. It's true you'll get raped on a trade, so sell your trade private party...............you take the chance of not moving it for months.... like the dealer may have to.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:12 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Posted by DOHC Maruder:
One of the reasons I left the car bizz was the owner's greed.........I'm now remembering the other reason. [img]images/smilies2/rotz.gif[/img]
Funny, the reason we(I) hate buying new cars is the owner's greed.......

Here in San Antonio, Red McCombs is a big car dealer. And he is one of the wealthiest guys, bought the Minnesota Vikings, also gives donations to colleges and such. But he did not get all that cash from giving "good and fair deals"!!!

Old 08-08-2005, 07:39 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
It's OK- I get asked that question constantly- "So, how much will you dicker on the friends and family/GMS price." Old habits die hard.

bigtexan99- I can't comment about your local dealer down there, but the car dealers I've known over the years came one of two ways- they were either flat-broke and going under, or they were millionaires. No middle ground, at least not in this business. I do know some dealers that are extremely wealthy and that I consider "honest and fair." I think we both know a few of the other kind as well.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:09 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bigtexan99
Funny, the reason we(I) hate buying new cars is the owner's greed.......

Here in San Antonio, Red McCombs is a big car dealer. And he is one of the wealthiest guys, bought the Minnesota Vikings, also gives donations to colleges and such. But he did not get all that cash from giving "good and fair deals"!!!
\

Dude, read the text!! Right now, at this present time, current deals.....you, me, EVERYONE can buy below invoice... THERE IS NO MORE ROOM!!!!

Yes, you can argue over trade ins.........but I think you're gonna lose right now.

Yes, I hated the greed in the bizz..........I also hated the ignorant customer that wouldn't know a good deal if it bit him in the......

I swear, when I was in the bizz and worked a nothing deal for hours and the customer left only to come back later because he thought he could shop me for a better deal............. I was always elated if the car was sold.

I may have lost a $50 voucher, but it was worth it sending the mooch on their way.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:24 PM
UneverGno
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
\

Dude, read the text!! Right now, at this present time, current deals.....you, me, EVERYONE can buy below invoice... THERE IS NO MORE ROOM!!!!

Yes, you can argue over trade ins.........but I think you're gonna lose right now.

Yes, I hated the greed in the bizz..........I also hated the ignorant customer that wouldn't know a good deal if it bit him in the......

I swear, when I was in the bizz and worked a nothing deal for hours and the customer left only to come back later because he thought he could shop me for a better deal............. I was always elated if the car was sold.

I may have lost a $50 voucher, but it was worth it sending the mooch on their way.
Fortunately, the day is well on the way when all the parasitic mooches in the food chain between factory and consumer will be eliminated by online buying. I can shop the whole country and never talk to anyone who thinks of me as ignorant for comparison shopping and someone to be hated. Yaaaaaaay internet!!!!!!! Capitalism works!

Old 08-27-2005, 01:05 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
It sure does- until a computer can figure out how to do a demo ride, or appraise a trade-in, or put together a difficult financing package, they will just be another tool for the consumer. Cars are still sold, and the majority of the deals still revolve around "how much down, how much a month, and can you get it financed."

Old 08-28-2005, 11:11 AM
UneverGno
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rationalization and justification

Originally Posted by polarbear
It sure does- until a computer can figure out how to do a demo ride, or appraise a trade-in, or put together a difficult financing package, they will just be another tool for the consumer. Cars are still sold, and the majority of the deals still revolve around "how much down, how much a month, and can you get it financed."
Missed the point entirely, but what the heck?

1.) Anybody can hand me a set of keys to do a demo.

2.) Kelly Blue Book and a mechanic.

3.) If you are financing a vehicle, you are probably living beyond your means
and the absolute LAST person you need to structure a "difficult financing package" is a car salesman. Try a bank.

4.) Cars are bought by consumers who know what they want and how much
they have to spend. The Great Benificent Oz in Detroit didn't wake up one morning and decide his subjects had earned a price break. It's a consumer driven market reality. Knowledgable buyers will determine what is sold and how much it sells for.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:57 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Oh no, I didn't miss that at all.

1.) Anybody can hand me a set of keys to do a demo.

True, if you have a clue what you want going in. Most folks don't- they just have a vague idea of what the next vehicle should look like.

2.) Kelly Blue Book and a mechanic.

Kelly's just a guide- appraising a trade-in and pricing it for the lot is art, not science. The same holds true of buying a used car.

3.) If you are financing a vehicle, you are probably living beyond your means
and the absolute LAST person you need to structure a "difficult financing package" is a car salesman. Try a bank.

A car salesman doesn't structure a deal- a sales manager or a finance manager has that job. We're currently using 25-30 different lenders. Why? Because each lender looks at each customer differently, and the trick is to match the two up. Now, for the customer with golden credit and a good down payment, this isn't true- they can get money anywhere, and at a good rate. That describes about 15% of the buyers.

While it may be true that the other 85% shouldn't be taking on more debt in the first place, taking them out of the market would not only eliminate the salesman, but the entire industry.

4.) Cars are bought by consumers who know what they want and how much
they have to spend.

Cars are bought by consumers that don't have a clue what they want , or what they should pay for it. The knowledgeable, researched customer (like we generally see from FTE) is the exception- and a pleasure to deal with when you come across them on the lot.

As far as OZ goes- he woke up one morning and realized his foreign competitors were doing a better job of providing for those customers. And yes, they have strong salespeople on those lots too.

Last edited by polarbear; 08-28-2005 at 12:01 PM.