1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

80-86 Members Rides

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 AM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80-86 Members Rides

I have been looking over the forum for sometime now and it seems there are a lot of great trucks that are here. So I go to thinking it would be nice to have one thread for a show and tell.

This thread is for members to tell us all about their truck, the mods they have done, what they are planning and so forth. Another interesting point is how you came about choosing your particular truck. Links to pictures would be a great addition also. So I hope everyone will join in and tell us about your ride.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 PM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, my truck, Hoss, is an 86 F-250HD with a 460,(in pieces right now), 4 speed, 4-10's front and rear and 162,000 miles on it. My rear main seal went out a couple of months ago so I decided to dive into it head first.
I'm replacing the cam with a Lunati Voodoo cam, Cloyes double roller timing chain, new oil pump, Hedmann Headers, dual 2 1/4" exhaust, Edelbrock Performer intake and my 600 CFM carb. I decided to go with the stock style distributor but have it recurved to be more friendly for towing my boat....which I don't have yet, but that's not the point! I also got rid of the smog stuff to clean up the engine bay. After it's all done, it'll be a nice Ford Engine Blue instead of the dull Gray that the factory painted them.
I've kept the truck pretty much stock as far as suspension goes for now, but I'm going with a Rough Country 4" lift and go to 33" BFG's on it. I was also thinking of an ARB air locker in the back, but I'm not sure yet. I will be hauling a big camper or travel trailer soon because my girlfriend wants to go camping....but not without a 4" foam matress, *sigh*.
I got Hoss just over 2 years ago when the 1990 K-5 Blazer I was driving.....and pushing more times than not, finally drove me nuts. Hoss had everything I was looking for at the time, V-8, 4 speed, 3/4 ton and simple to work on. I got it from a used car lot for about $2500 and I'm more than happy with him. Check out my gallery.

Dan

Old 08-02-2005, 09:33 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I bought my 86 F250 4x4 6.9 diesel February 2004. I grew up with an 84 that my dad still has, but likely will be retiring soon, wiht get this... another 84! But anyway, when I was looking for a truck, I needed something that could pull a big 2 car trailer. I looked at another 85 or so that had an auto and a bit of rust, just didn't quite like the price for the setup and repairs necessary. I had already looked at and drove this truck, and the fact it had less the 5000 miles on the motor really made it hard to walk from, especially when I got them down to $1850 from the original 2500 that was a steal anyway.... I also really preferred to have a manula trans, because I wanted that RPM control and the extra gear.It has minimal rust for the age. There is just a little under the base of the driver's door, and then the standard rust over the wheel well and rear under the tail lights on the box. Front clip and cab can't get much more perfect than this. Dings and such, but it's a workhorse, so I wasn't worried about that. It spent it's life as a Co- Op truck, not sure what all duties it had, but they decided to trade it for a F350. They had just been bought up, so all the money invested wasn't looked at. Worked out pretty good for me. I have reworked the exhaust to be a 3.25 from the Y to the muffler, built my own muffler that has the flow capability of a 5", 3.5 from the muffler to the outlet that finally becomes a 4" outlet. It already had the rubber overload springs on it that have really made for a good heavy hauler. It had a bedliner in it, and I debated about keeping it or not, but it just gives the truck character, and I haul a lot of scrap and messy things, so it is kinda nice for that type use. I patched up an old tailgate that was laying around the farm for it, the spot welds were all busted up like usual. I drilled some holes close to the radius of the center structure and spot filled with my wire feed to make it stronger than the factory, and welded the outside seam as well for strength. I have abused it quite well hauling scrap, and it takes it no problem. It has aluminum wheels on it now that are 16.5, once I can't get my hands on some cheap tires, I will probably replace it with some wagon wheels, but they will get painted rally grey instead of the standard white. I recently repaired the nonfunctional hardly reliable fuel guages, modified them to use cheap JC Whitney universal senders,as I didn't have the money to blow on $120 a pop senders for it. I turned the fuel screw a little to see how that works out, but haven't had a load on it lately to find out. It has the take off response of a gasser with the larger exhaust and turning up the fuel just a little though. It has been scaled in excess of 20,500 hauling hay bales, It won't set any speed records doing it, but then, the hay trailer isn't meant for speed, no brakes or lights. It did cost me a leaf spring though, broke two leaves. Hard to say how many years of service the spring had, it has the Ford oval still on it, but looks like it may have been replaced, as there is a sticker still on it.It has really been a good truck so far, and I don't have any intention of replacing it unless I need to go to an extended cab. At this time, doesn't look like that is a concern...

Old 08-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll start with my other vehicles first: I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy SLE 4wd 4dr...sorry guy I got a sweet deal on it, it has the 4.3 Vortec with the 4L60e trans (3rd tranny) it has 179k original miles and runs like a champ. My second is a 1977 Ford F250 4wd regular cab long bed with the XLT Ranger package. It's motivated by a bone stock 351m, backed by an NP435 4 speed grannybox; with a divorse-mounted NP205 transfer case. It has a Dana 60 in rear and a Dana 44HD up front with 4.10 gears, I think it has a Trac Lok in the rear; but not for sure. The body has suffered the ravages of Michigan winters, and is in great need of a new body. The motor and drivetrain is rock solid and runs like a dream. Lastly my pride and joy, I have an 1984 Ford F150 4wd regular cab long bed. Power comes from a mildly built 300 six with a 4 speed grannybox. I bought "Peggy" in December of 99, shortly after my 16th birthday. I bought her from an older gentleman who I worked for in high school, he bought her a year old but brand new in the fall of 85. She spent her whole life as a work truck for his construction business. I remember how hard he was on this old Ford, it was regularly overloaded both hauling and towing. I bought this truck because I wanted an older 4 wheel drive pickup to fix up and drive. Now could spend all day explaining how I did all the work on the this ol girl, but I'll condense it down so you guys don't get bored.

Engine: 300 inline six, bored .040 over, Crane RV cam, Mellings HV oil pump, Sealed Power rings, Clevite bearings, EFI manifolds, Walker downpipe, Cliffords 2300 Holley adapter plate, Holley 350 cfm 2bbl, K&N air filter, MSD Blaster TFI coil

Transmission: New Process 435 four speed manual with low first, rebuilt last winter, LUK 11" clutch

Transfer case: New Process 208...untouched 203k original miles

Axles: Dana 44 IFS- stock axle shafts, solid u-joints, 4.09 gears, Dana Trac Lok limited slip diff...Ford 8.8, stock 31 spline axle shafts, 4.10 gears, Powertrax No-slip locker

Tires/Wheels: 33x12.50 R15 Mud King Steel Radial XT/ Factory Ford 15x7.5 aluminum wheels

Other Stuff: Brushguard, 55w Hella 500 driving lights, APC fog lights, toolbox, duraliner bedliner, Class III 2" receiver hitch, Aiwa 45x4 watt CD player, Cobra sound tracker CB radio, Autometer guage console, Sunpro tachometer, Hayden 14" electric fan (pusher for trail use), Wolf whistle, dual air horns

Future Plans: Dual Optima batteries, Milemarker 9000 winch, 2" front receiver hitch, refinish body and repaint

It has been a fun vehicle to own...I'll drive her for a long time.

Last edited by Pkupman82; 08-03-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:48 PM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
barney

what I wanted and what I got.Wanted 86 to 96 f-150ext cab xlt 2wd 302 or 351 auto w/overdrive.What I got 84 f-250hd ext cab xl 4x4 460 4 speed flat bed. A friend stopped by my shop one day with this truck and I said when did you get that and he said watya mean Ive had it for 4 months you've seen it before and I said no I havent so he threw me the keys and I went out to check this beast over body seemed nice, motor looked clean interior not bad but needed work,fired it up sounded good none of the gauges worked so I took it for a ride and fell in love with it, something to do with a big block and a 4 speed I guess.When I got back he told me he was in a jam and needed some cash and asked if I could help him out,well to make an already long story shorter 1800.00 later barney was all mine and that was only the beginning!Turns out the truck had a electrical fire almost all the wiring from the dash to the motor was toast I dont know why the truck even started and if you let it sit for a week it wouldn't the further I dug in to it the more I found wrong with it not the best ford I've had to date so in june of 04 I started the work,I got all the factory repair manuals completely gutted the interior and ripped all the wiring out of the engine compartment and started from there I found all the wiring from a 86 unmolested harness and put that in than new dashbord added a factory tach and clock overhead lighting from a ford van painted every thing two tone gray recovered seat found alot of gray panals in different salvage yards too only gauge that still dosnt work is the fuel,the wiring from 84 to 86 is different from the tank selector switch to the fuel tanks and I havnt changed that yet I replaced the in tank fuel pump but its not hooked up and it runs fine on the mechanical one on the motor.I also Istalled a new intake manifold and 750 carb rebuilt the dizzy replaced the whole front grill and headlite surroundings put a push bar on 100 watt lites and thats it so far Im taking a brake for awhile and she runs like a raped ape right now,all the brakes and cables are new aswell as the shocks tie rod ends this is why I am on this site every day reading ,learning and posting ,and this is only my fishing truck!

Old 08-05-2005, 06:19 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Why is it my posts are being all hacked up (missing words that I typed) and I cant go back and edit them,Its bad enough Im the worlds slowest typer,but now my posts are getting all jumbled together and looks like I cant type at all,LOL.

post before this had to edit 4 times before it was right

Old 08-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Zane M
Senior User
I got mine from a buddy at work:
'83 F250 460/C6 combo. Pretty much stock except for a six inch Skyjacker lift, 33X12.50X16.5 BFG All Terrains on "sawblade" style wheels. The shifter on the column was well worn, so I threw a Starshifter in it. It has a '92 bench with the fold down center section.

The only real engine mods are deletion of all the smog equipment(done before I bought it), a Performer intake, and a Edelbrock carb.

The body is pretty straight with the exception of the aftermarket door(cheap piece of crap), and the typical cab corner rust through. Hopefully time and dollars will allow for a restoration soon.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:53 AM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Well these are pretty interesting and good stories about the rides. Keep them coming people this is very interesting.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2005, 02:18 PM
85Ford
Mountain Pass
Well My ride Is A 1985 Ford F 150 XLT larite Supercab 4X2 Long Box.

ITs has A 400 Four Barrle and An rv cam Dual Pipes That come out right under the Cab.

Has a Rubber bed Mat and Sun viser andn WHat ever they call the thing on the back Of the cab It was one when I got it.

what I want To do Is GEt the windows Tinted Get a Spray in bed liner And get a Box cover ANd some time or the other GEt it painted again also want A new Front seat its really sun damaged that the only in side damage.

I am buying the truck from my dad for 1.5k he got it from a friend for pretty much nothing Cuz he didnt want to fix the blown 351w SO he had this 400 to put in it So we got the cam and carb for it put it in and its awsome.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:21 PM
85Ford
Mountain Pass
P.S. Look AT my gallery for pics

Old 08-09-2005, 02:55 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Well a number of you on here now about my 82 flareside, its been lowered, 350hp 351w, customs interior with a killer sound system, and lots of little stuff (gallery lists all the mods and work i've done)

My other truck is a competition built mudder, its a 1981 f-250 (now 1 ton ), 6" custom fabed lift, 400cu in motor with just a single plane high rise intake and 2" carb spacer and a holley 750dp carb with a custom snorkle setup, its got a solid axle conversion the axles are dana 60 front and 10.25 rear both with 4.10 gears and lock rite lockers. There's much more but its quickers to just cheaker out its gallery. Oh yeah the truck is affectionaly name bits n' pieces for the large number or parts from a variety of vehicles.

anywho here's a couple pic's and links to the galleries:

my Flareside:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=77929&width=0

the gallery: https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...7&albumid=4022

And my bogger:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=81794&width=0

the gallery:https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=11798

Old 08-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Jebadiah04
Posting Guru
Welll...mine is an 86 F-150. Bought it brand spanking new in Kellogg ID.

It has a 300 six, I actually have a 460, but my delivery boy and i are having problems meeting up to exchange. read my sig for all my basic infos on it.
I also have a deal worked out for a straight axle posi d44 for the front end so i can put in my lift. i want to do 10 inch coil springs, but they seem impossible to find so im going with 8 inch lift with 2 inch coil spacers and maybe 2 inch body lift, depending on motor size in the hood.
Im also going to be running 39 inch SSW Irocs on black rims.

I have pics of the truck in my gallery as well

I love the darned thing and i dont know why to tell you the truth. Right now its just my camping rig, dont use it for anything but playing in the sticks.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:23 AM
mblayton
More Turbo
My daily ride is a 86 Bronco XLT, bought it from the original owner in California 2 years ago with only 62000 miles on it. It came with every piece of paper (maintainence reciepts) and window sticker. The truck is completly stock except the new sound system. It is white on tan inside and is still wearing it's original paint. This truck is awesome, I remember wanting one of these 24 years ago when I started working at Ford, but was told they use too much gas, so I passed on it (foolish). It has a 302 efi and aod trans and manual locking hubs. This will be it's last winter in Ontario, next year it will be stored so that our road salt does'nt eat it away. This truck is a mint original and I want to keep it that way.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
82 F100, that originally had a V6 in it.
Now has a 302, slightly performanced. C6, after the C5 in it snapped towing a trailerload of car and moving boxes home one year, 8.8 rear so that at least the rear wheels have a 5 on 5.5 inch bolt circle (front end to be swapped eventually. Haven't decided on 4X4 or not yet), 3 inch body lift, 2 inch suspension lift, 33 inch TSL's. Total lift is 7.5

85 F250 6.9 diesel
About to be gone through, the truck had a single wheel rear axle, but was a flatbed. I stuffed a dually under the back just in time to keep the wheels from falling off of the J C Whitney spacers the previous owner had installed in it! The flatbed needs to go too, but I may still kit the front end over to a straight axle for better load stability.
There's a major electrical system snafu going on too, so the truck is definately low priority for now. I swore I'd be running it on biodiesel when it went back on the road!

~Wolf

Old 08-12-2005, 04:24 PM
PaulzF150
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1985 F150 Lariat with C6 Auto, 300 I6, 144,000 miles, R134 AC, PS, PB, and Camper Shell. I bought this truck in 2002 because I sorely missed my 1983 F100 that I bought new and sold in 1999. On the '85; after putting a lot of $$ into the truck, it is running well, and I enjoy driving it. My old '83 did not have power steering or the automatic transmission, where the '85 is much more comfortable to drive. Right now, it's not being driven too much as the AC needs to be charged. Someday, I want to get it painted. In November of 2003 I tossed the TFI ignition and changed it over to the Duraspark II ignition. It passes emissions easily now. My 1983 F100 was a very reliable truck that had very few problems. A friend of mine has it, and it has 265,000 miles on it. These '80 series Fords are good trucks! My wife wants me to get rid of it, but she is learning that it is not wise to come between a man and his truck. So now, she just teases me about it. I think that now that I typed this, I'll take the old truck for a ride.

Quick Reply: 80-86 Members Rides