SECURITY PERSONNEL WANTED (for next year)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:07 AM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually, if you want to catch the perp, I'd suggest getting your Operating System certificate number, and maybe trying to contact microsoft to keep an eye out with someone using your operating system. That just might find them if they're accessing the internet.

Ryan

Old 08-04-2005, 02:35 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
Dutch,
That was just my attempt at some humor, nothing more.

Sorry.
Nothing to be sorry for, my friend.

I do think communications for those on guard would be key in it. BARGOD had some local comms that were in use, and the method most common in the military is to carry a brick (motorola radio) and report anything suspicious before looking any closer. It makes a lot of sense.

If something wrong is happening, and its obvious, the locals could be called.

If a guard dropped out of contact, it could be checked up on.

I think also that there should be pairs on patrol at least, for backup. One roving, the other standing by. They could switch back and forth.

And lots of coffee....
(He says, from experience)

Another point I want to mention is that the attack came when the FTE vehicles were mixed in with the general parking for the dog track. If we have our own area, and it is NOT that far away, we should encourage using it, even if it is a short walk.

Next year we probably won't have that problem, but there may well be an event at the dog track. Participants should be advised that their vehicles would be safer among our own.

We will also (if I'm not mistaken?) have a number of RV's in a seperate lot. Those could easily be included in the patrol zone.

What we DON'T want to do is overextend the security staff. There is no reason to perform the tracks security functions FOR them. We should not do that. It might also be resented. Therefore patrol our own lot, and if we see something next door report it by cell phone or something. This ties in with my NEXT comment.

I would suggest, that getting to know the counterparts in place for the dog tracks security so that there can be some amount of reciprocation, is highly advisable. It could be an advantage, and if we help them it would reflect well on us.

I don't want to go too far with it, but a watch logbook might also be a good idea. Once an hour, or half hour, make a note of the time, and anything significant that has happened in a ring binder.

Good grief, I'm not in charge of this committee, what am I doing?

Last edited by Greywolf; 08-04-2005 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:02 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FghtinIrshNvrDie
actually, if you want to catch the perp, I'd suggest getting your Operating System certificate number, and maybe trying to contact microsoft to keep an eye out with someone using your operating system. That just might find them if they're accessing the internet.

Ryan
I second that. Sooner or later that book will pop up online...

Old 08-04-2005, 03:18 AM
A_G
Posting Guru
id be down for patrolling, but il be 16 tho so, w/e

Old 08-04-2005, 03:43 AM
Bargod
Posting Guru
I think that any use of weapons or security devices by anyone not liscensed to handle them would be a huge liability to Ken, FTE, and the Kansas Chapter.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:58 AM
JCPSME
Senior User
The sad truth of it is that any form of gambling brings increased crime with it and a large gathering like the track makes for easy pickings. Most of the time the criminals are looking quick and easy things to steal "smash and grab". As the Rally grows with more vehicles and more equipment it will attract more determinded theives but they still want to go unnoticed for their activities.
The volunteers I work with rarely have any training in security so our guidlines are based on common sense. We are on duty from evening to morning when there is little normal activity on the site. Make your presence known, be in the open, be noisey, use your vehicle, use your flashlight. Never confront a criminal and never let them confront you. If you have problems with anyone call the police and any local security let them handle any criminals, they have the training and authority to.
I personally would rather have my stuff stolen than to see a fellow FTE'er hurt or in trouble. With these criminals you never know what you'll run in to, a kid looking for kicks, an addict looking for the next fix, or someone who doesn't care about themselves or you or what happens to either one of you.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Roger that. And its the nutcases that are unpredictable.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:19 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 6 D-cell Mag you can borrow!
where im from these doulbe as baseball bats and the cops use them well.. i know... i got knocked out by one

Matt

Old 08-06-2005, 05:16 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
A suggestion as far as the radios go. I gather that there are a few people here that have toy haulers with the 4 pack of radios installed in them. To keep costs down, members could volunteer their radios for service. The cool thing is they all have the capability to be on the same channel.

Another note on the staff. I have been involved with a few motorcycle rallies. Bright colored STAFF shirts are a must, they in itself are a deterrent. (Staff is less confrontational than Security, many law enforcement know all about the porewr of perception) I would suggest leaving the weapons, ect. ect. alone. Flashlights are enough. Split up the shifts to have someone ex, or current law enforcement not all bunched up on one shift. (Sometimes experienced people have less of a tendancy to over-react, or calm others down, in general could be looked to for guidance or make decisions if something not even criminal related happend {injury ect. ect.}) I whole heartedly suggets talking to the local sheriffs dept. We did this, and it payed of emmensily. They kept there distance, but were "near the area" when we did have a situation (underage drinking) one call did it all. Would be glad to offer my services, when the dates come out, to try to plan to attend in 06'.

Ryan

Old 08-09-2005, 01:36 AM
gruntwannabe
Junior User
As for good defence I would recomend this surfire flashlight:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1132/sesent/00

It can momentarily blind a could be theif.

It's also legal and won't get you in trouble for carrying it.

Also whenever I buy my truck I am planning on joining FTE and hopefully making the trip from pittsburgh to the rally.

Just like Lead_Foot, I'm wondering if I could volunteer for security since I'll be 17 next rally and have no real security experience. I think just walking around w/ a flashlight will be a good deterent.

Last edited by gruntwannabe; 08-09-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:51 AM
oldRedTruck
Senior User
you can put me down as a volunteer.

6 years Military Police experience

the only weapon we'd need is good organized communications
the coffee goes w/out saying
-Mike

Last edited by oldRedTruck; 08-09-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by oldRedTruck
you can put me down as a volunteer.

6 years Military Police experience

the only weapon we'd need is good organized communications
the coffee goes w/out saying
-Mike
Thanks... and I guess I am in charge of Coffee!!! :-)

Old 08-25-2005, 04:22 PM
GBFD_EMS
New User
where is this event going to be held and when? depending on where and when i might be able to offer you some help.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a little advice from someone with a little experience.

1 - post folks in a given area that they are responsible for, not just wandering around or you leave gaps in your covereage.

2 - Have a rover or rovers. This is the guy or guys that go around and check on your personnel that are watching in their designated areas.

3 - Have a dedicated control area that all these personnel report to, by radio at prescribed times.

4 - Have dedicated response element. If someone does get in trouble (i.e. jumped) you have 4 - 5 guys standing by, not guarding, that can resposnd to help the guy out.

Just get a bunch of the little motorola radios and don't get anything bigger than a 2 D Mag lite to keep anyone from getting into excessive force issues. Keep in mind that in most places, if you use more force than necessary, you are screwed.

I just don't want to see anyone get into trouble keeping everyone safe.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:42 PM
SVTCobra306
Senior User
Hmm, sounds like a patrol base, OP's (or foxholes), CP, Roving guard, and a QRF...

Oops, now everyone knows what I do for a living....

Scouts Out!

Quick Reply: SECURITY PERSONNEL WANTED (for next year)