General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 09:08 PM
steve41
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

So - Has anyone else noticed how easy it was for little "E" to win the race. All of the die-hard Chebby fans and "E" Sr. fans I know have found it hard to argue with me about:

1)how in a restrictor plate race, it's possible for 1 car to dominate a race, not getting shoved back when the rest of the pack with him does;

2)is able to pass an entire pack without any assistance - whether it is inside, outside or through the middle;

3)is able to stay ahead of an oncoming group of cars.

Can't remember when ANYONE was able to dominate a field this good since Nascar began the restrictor plates.

For sentimental purposes, I was glad to see little "E" win, but let's get real about how it was done.

Old 07-10-2001, 09:26 PM
ih8jfgrdn
Freshman User
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

My personal opinion is that Nascar let little "E" run a better set-up so he could dominate, its a "FAN" thing i think, since when have you ever seen somebody pull out of the draft and be able to blow by other drivers and still pull away from them, I heard Nascar commenting about little E`s dominance, they said he had the freshiest tires on the track, thats all fine and good in the turns, but in them long straight a-ways tires dont matter, its all horsepower, which he had plenty off, dont get me wrong, I thought it was pretty cool for him to win at the track where his father died, but I think it was already set-up to happen, just my view on it all, so dont bash me to bad, lol

Old 07-11-2001, 01:25 AM
jeff70
Junior User
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

I find it hard to believe that the race was rigged. I mean how can you possibly rig a NASCAR race? There are just to many variables ie. engine failure, tires, wrecks. He won the race fair and square, although I do think Waltrip could have passed him if he really wanted to, but thats just the kind of guy he is, Jr. helped him in the 500 so he was just paying him back.

One more thing whats the deal with Stewart, nascar should sit the little boy down for a couple of races and tell him to grow up or go back to driving indy cars.

Old 07-11-2001, 05:14 AM
cobrajet
Tuned
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

yea, i have to agree with ya Steve41, i thought it was kind of odd that at the same track his dad died at the very next time nascar would race there little E would win and it was interesting to see his team mate right behind him, gee didn't it happen just like that before dale wrecked, his team mate was right behind him. i heard a rumor the nascar wanted him to win so they could boost the spirits of nascar fans again give them something different to remember daytona about. i'm sorry all but it just seemed to easy, this one was rigged.

Old 07-11-2001, 08:02 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

I find it hard to believe that the race was rigged. I mean how can you possibly rig a NASCAR race?
If you watch the Restricter Plate races, Nascar has it where the cars are all pretty much equal. With the speeds they're running, all's it takes is a small change in the Plate to get the advantage. Although I don't believe Jr. would take that advantage under other circumstances, I do believe he would if the "Powers that be Nascar" tell him it's for the good of the sport his daddy loved so much and for the fans that loved him.

Personally, I liked the results, but think it was fixed.

Old 07-11-2001, 09:25 AM
darkknight
Senior User
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

I have to agree with Jeff70, Last time I looked, these guys drove around the track at speeds of up to 200 mph, within inches of one another, and no brake lights :-). Too many variables to contend with. Get off of Little "E" and get a life fellas.

My thoughts.

Mike

Old 07-11-2001, 03:59 PM
crazy_goodolboy
Senior User
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

Yes, there are many variables. But, the safest place for a car is at the front of the pack. All the trouble's behind the driver. I think NASCAR helped him. I don't think it's the first time NASCAR has done something of this sort either. Even if he would've wrecked it and not gotten first, NASCAR regardless would have provided the winning element for him, even if he hadn't utilized it. They can't fix a race by guaranteeing a win, but they can sure lend a hell of a helping hand. Also, he did drop below the yellow a few times, but wasn't called for it. NASCAR figured it'd **** off too many fans.
I did love seein Gordon have so much trouble. I laughed my butt off so hard!

Old 07-11-2001, 05:09 PM
ih8jfgrdn
Freshman User
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

I did love seein Gordon have so much trouble. I laughed my butt off so hard!
Oh how I love another Jeff Gordon basher, I absolutly love it,lol

Old 07-12-2001, 02:41 AM
MEPHISTO_XES
Senior User
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

Thought something was strange with that race. I just did'nt want to sound biased.

Garett

Old 07-12-2001, 04:29 PM
Bill_Beyer
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

Lest we all forget Dale Jr and Mike Waltrip finished second and first, exactly the opposite at the Daytona 500 so why is it so unusual for them to run so well a few months later? Do you all think they just throw away all their notes from the previous race at that track? This ain't the WWF...if it had been a Ford that won you all wouldn't be crying "conspiracy". Get over it folks, Junior had the best car and maybe, just maybe, a little more incentive to win.

As far as you juvenile Gordon bashers...well he'll probably win his 4th championship this year and that's halfway to #8 which will pass Petty and Earnhardt and make him definitively the best racer in NASCAR history. I can't wait to hear the moaning, crying and gnashing of teeth when that happens in, oh say, 10 more seasons. Best start stocking up on the cheese you'll need to go with that "wine" now boys.

Old 07-12-2001, 04:35 PM
seebeew
Senior User
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

Yea! What he said!!!

-Chris

Big Red Ticking 92 F150

Tick,Tick,Tick,Tick,Tick,Tick,Tick,Tick

Old 07-12-2001, 06:55 PM
crazy_goodolboy
Senior User
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

Lest we all forget Dale Jr and Mike Waltrip finished second and first, exactly the opposite at the Daytona 500 so why is it so unusual for them to run so well a few months later?
The difference is, the Daytona 500 was the slightest bit competitive. They just happened to be the ones out front when it finished. The Pepsi 400 was a runaway. That makes it look real suspicious.

Old 07-12-2001, 07:04 PM
cobrajet
Tuned
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

well Bill, it's all over the news now, on all the channels, so it's not just us folks here at this web site seeing the light. there are probally over thousands of people seeing the light also. there were conversations between him and his crew they were telling him to back off the gas so it didn't look to good. nascar pulling the strings what a mess............

Old 07-12-2001, 07:37 PM
Bill_Beyer
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

well Bill, it's all over the news now, on all the channels, so it's not just us folks here at this web site seeing the light. there are probally over thousands of people seeing the light also. there were conversations between him and his crew they were telling him to back off the gas so it didn't look to good. nascar pulling the strings what a mess............
"Seeing the light"...that's really funny, like it's the truth or something. The fact that some sheep...er people here actually believe what the media says about this "alleged" conspiracy is even funnier. Right now the media is mad at NASCAR because of the way they've been shut out of the DE crash investigation so when Jr won Saturday it gave them a perfect opportunity to trot out whatever ridiculous theories they had about the "good ol' boys" at NASCAR fixing a race.

How 'bout we examine a few facts before we hang 'em shall we?

Fact: Television rating are up significantly despite the death of DE. When ratings are up the sponsors are happy. When sponsors are happy they spend more money on the teams. When teams get more money they get better equipment and are more competetive. When the teams are more competetive then the races are better. When the races are better the ratings keep going up. The higher the ratings go the more $$$ you can charge for advertising. You really think NASCAR would risk all of that and their credibility by fixing a race?

Fact: For those of you who missed it Mikey and Jr ran 1 and 2 in the 500 with the exact same aero package they had last Saturday. They had fast cars then and they made 'em even faster. That's what crew chiefs get paid the big bux for.

Fact: Every NASCAR driver interviewed has denied being told by NASCAR to "give" the race to Jr or anything even remotely resembling it.

Fact: Restrictor plates are distributed randomly each day to the teams so there was no way NASCAR could give Jr's team a larger one.

The only thing NASCAR could have done is issue a better (softer) spring package to Jr so that his car handled a little better in the corners. Once again I ask, what's the incentive besides a whole grandstand full of teary-eyed spectators? The risk is way too high.

Old 07-12-2001, 08:36 PM
mattlm
New User
Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race

Neither NASCAR or any other driver had to be "in on" anything. Cheating in car racing is against the rules but not immoral. It's only wrong if you get caught.

I'm wondering about the little hug fest in the tri-oval. People all around that car with no controls. Did little E manage to pull one over on the post race tech inspectors?

FACT: With any load of fuel, any age tires, any position on the track, anyone in front of or behind him, Earnhart could drive around anyone on the track. That is exactly what all of aero and restrictor plate rules are desinged to prevent.

Oh yeah, he cheated and everyone knows it. They just don't know how.

Matt Miller

Quick Reply: Daytona-Pepsi 400 Race