Engine Stumbling and Getting Worse

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:49 PM
SeannyBoy84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine Stumbling and Getting Worse

How's it going? I have a '97 4.6 4x4 Expedition. Everything's been great up until these past few days. I started her up on Monday, and this loud hissing noise started comming from the inside in the back of my truck. I later found out that it was the rear evaporator and that there was a leak and all the freon was gone. My A/C was no longer nice and cold. The drive to and back tow work was pretty bad. Especially here in Vegas where it's still around 105 at midnight. Alright, my dad took it to a shop and wanted to change the whole A/C assembly for $600. He asked them if they were sure that was the problem and they didnt give a straight answer. They decided to try some sort of "no leak" liquid or freon that would seal any leaks for $150 and see if it would work. The A/C is very cold now, and the hissing sound coming from the rear evaporator is gone. I'm not sure if this fixed it or if it's just a temporary fix until the freon is all gone. I'm thinking probably the latter.

Now I posted all this in the A/C Forum, but the reason I'm posting it here is because also on Monday my engine has been stumbling. It's odd but it seems to happen more often when I'm driving on a curve such as an onramp or such. I'm not sure if both this and my A/C troubles are related, but I thought I'd let you know about both. Sometimes, when the transmission is changing gears, the Check Engine light will flash on and off and the engine will stumble. Like I said I didn't know if it was related or if it's just a coincidence and one of my my spark plugs are acting up or my fuelfilter is clogged, etc. But it got a bit worse today.

I was actually driving on the freeway at 60 on a curve and all of a sudden my engine died. It was a bit scary, I couldn't move my steering wheel, I turned my hazzards on and tried to get on the side. I started the engine again and everything seemed fine and went on to work slowly. I'm definately checking my codes tonight, but I was wondering what all you fellas thought about this. Sorry it was so long, It's just frustrating because my truck has been perfect before all of this. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:08 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would try a new fuel filter first. Also, get the computer scanned for codes. This will help since the check engine light has come on.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:00 AM
SeannyBoy84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: Alright I went to Autozone and bought a set of Motorcraft Plugs and got my codes scanned. No codes at all. When I got home, I cleaned the MAF sensor and the stumbling went away, everything was fine. Amazing how one sensor can make my truck ride so horrible and even make my engine die on the freeway. Since then I've changed my plugs and will buy a new motorcraft fuel filter and pcv valve from Ford on Monday. Thankfully all this is over.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:30 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
glad you got it fixed