Sponsored by:

Question for early bronco forum???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 02:48 AM
markjw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for early bronco forum???

I'm usually over in the '67 '72 f-series forum but I need some help with a early bronco question..Hope some one can help....I have a three speed manual transmission from a '69 EB..still attached to the dana 20...and cross member for that matter...My question is..Will the gearbox replace the gearbox in my '70 f100 2wd column shifted 3 speed. I know I would have to at the very least swap the back section's of both transmission's but, is this evan possible...I can't drag the bronco tranny under my f100 to check simularities or diffrences because it's actually at my dad's house..Would like to know if this would work before driving a long way to pick up a tranny that wont fit my f100...Thanks for any help..

Old 08-02-2005, 07:06 AM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are 3 diff three speeds that were available in the EB. And even then, there are some internal changes between each of them which won't allow any interchangeability.

Have your dad measure the case length from the machined surface where the bellhousing mounts to where the transfer case adaptor bolts to the transmission. And then measure yours from the bellhousing mating surface to where the tailshaft bolts to the transmission. This doesn't guarantee that it is the same, but should narrow it. Most likely though, the best that you could do with the Bronco transmission is swap some parts over to work in your 70. You really don't know for sure until you have both of them disassembled on the bench to match gears.

I do have a 3 speed from a 76 that I parted out. It only had 65K miles, shifted great and didn't make any noise. I was saving it for my dads 67, but I think he is going with a 5 speed instead. Let me know.

Jason

Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 AM
markjw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason, Thanks for the info..The old man measured 9 1/4" exactaly..same as in my truck..I found out yesterday that my problems may be in the rear diff...Going to see about rebuilding that this weekend..Thanks again.
Mark.