toy haulers pro's / con's ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Domenico
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toy haulers pro's / con's ?

We have an 8.5" camper right now with 5"X9 utility trailer. Family of 5, 3 dirt bikes (soon to be 4), and all the other things we take camping. Time to up grade the camper ( not big enough for all of us to sleep in) question is bigger camper or a toy hauler, the other factor is hunting I tow a 86 suzuki samurai
on my hunting trips.
Just wondering about the pro"s and con's of toy hualers, storage area? fuel smell after having bikes in it?, pay loads?, any other input would be greatly appreciated...
regards, Domenico

Old 07-19-2005, 12:46 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
www.rv.net/forums has a good toyhauler section.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The toy haulers will smell like gas and oil inside the garage area. The insulation and sealing is generally not that good on trailers, so the inside will end up smelling too. If you are to get one, make sure you vent the garage area well, and make sure that it is completely sealed off from the living area.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Domenico
Senior User
The ones we have been looking at up here (21' -24') have no seperate "garage", wich concerns me, I am a very fussy person and would take all precautions, run the bikes dry, shut off the fuel, roll out a transportation carpet or floor cover of some kind but is that enough?.
I love the idea of the toy hauler because I could use it for the dirt bike in the summer and my suzuki in the fall.
V10 man thanks for the heads up on the web side, but it sure is nice to hear from the boys an girls at fte I trust their opinion much more...
thanks, Domenico

Old 07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My toyhauler is a bigger 5th wheel type without a separate garage and the smell doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I don't store my bikes/quads in the RV unless I'm traveling to or from the riding areas, so that probably helps. I roll up my carpet and roll out a thin vinyl floor covering to catch dirt, mud, fluids etc, plus it keeps the tires from marking up the linoleum flooring.

I admit, it does smell a bit while all the toys are loaded inside but the smell seems to go away after the RV is unloaded. I also have a powered fan at the vent openings, so they keep fresh air moving all the time. If you notice the smell lingering, a quick spray with Frabreeze or something will take care of it.

In short...it hasn't been a problem for us.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 AM
FormerRammer
Freshman User
Domenico,

I have a fifth wheel toy hauler (32' Vortex Viper by Thor). I preferred not to have the seperate garage area because, from what I have seen, the storage size of the dedicated garages areas are smaller overall than the trailers without the wall between the garage and living area. I definitely have a gas smell while hauling the bikes, no matter how much care I take in running the carbs dry with the pet***** off. But as soon as I unload them out the big back cargo door, the smell is goes away very quickly. My trailer came with a linoleum floor and a removable and fitted one piece carpet kit. I have found that when I use the trailer to haul the bikes (3 two wheelers and 2 quads) I leave the carpet kit at home. I only use it when I camp without the bikes. I am pretty damn picky about my stuff and taking care of it (my wife says I'm "****" about my maintenance and upkeep), and I haven't had any problems cleaning up any gas puddles or tire marks off my linoleum.

I have been very happy so far with my trailer. The "pros" are that the toy hauler, for me, is very versatile. We use the trailer for all types of camping, with or without the bikes. With the bikes unloaded, we put some comfortable folding chairs in the cargo area to increase our living area seating. As far as any "cons" go, the only thing I have noticed is that the trailers that are not toy haulers are generally more "elegantly" equipped. They generally will have a nice sofa or even a recliner. On the toy haulers without a seperate garage, the sofas and dinettes are made to fold away against the wall and therefore are pretty sparse looking to be both lightweight and foldable. Some of the higher end toy haulers with the seperate garage will have a slider in the living area and much nicer furniture.

Don't know if that helps but it's my 2 cents worth.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Domenico
Senior User
Thats great info guys, I don't want to start a big debate here but what would be easier to haul a camper with a utility or a tow hauler just for arguments sake the combination weighing in at aprx. the same, as far as I can figure you shuold loose some wind resistance with the toy hauler?
I was looking at the artic fox toy hauler insulated for winter use and some other x-tras, does some one own one or know some one who has owned one?
Thanks Domenico.......