Propane injection or 2nd Diesel tank?

Old 08-15-2005, 11:38 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane injection or 2nd Diesel tank?

My range sucks when towing my 5th wheel. AND I hear propane injection increases mileage, power and range.

I can't afford both... which one is best?

Propane injection my void my warranty or be difficult to take out if I have to take my truck to the dealer.

The extra fuel tank instead would be no problem...but would be heavier and would cost a fortune at the pump.

any suggestions?

Old 08-16-2005, 05:07 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
>>>Propane injection my void my warranty or be difficult to take out if I have to take my truck to the dealer.

>>>SCT XCALIBRATOR - EDGE JUICE ATTITUDE STACKED, MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST AND K&N INTAKE

And you are worried about the warranty?? I'd say go for the propane, but the larger/extra tank should give you more mileage overall.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:27 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
One of the benefits of a larger range tank is you can be more choosey with where you purchase your fuel from.
i.e. You can hold off that little longer until you reach a town where the price is so and so, and fill up there.

Having a larger tank can actually be quite benefitial financially, without even realising it.

BTW. You don't say whether you have a short or a long bed - I assume you have a long bed because you tow a 5'er. Is that correct?

Old 08-16-2005, 09:51 AM
dogdude2003
Senior User
I have a short bed. And I realize your point about being choosy and such...I've researched the Transferflow in the bed tool box fuel tank and it's $1749 installed. That is very pricey!! It seems too expensive to me. I looked at the Northern Tool version and it's much cheaper...why? What's the story here?
And to address the point about my SCT and EDGE unit and warranties:
The SCT can be flashed to stock in 10 minutes. The Edge can be uninstalled for a trip to the dealer in 10 minutes. Propane injection? Seems too complex to just uninstall....but I don't know. Anyone?

Old 08-16-2005, 10:00 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Ouch. $1749 isn't cheap at all. Seeing you have the shortbed, I understand your dilema though.
I have heard good reports about Transferflow, I don't know about Northern Tool. I understand Transferflow make a 40+ gallon under bed replacement tank. How much does that cost?

I would also imagine that removing all evidence of a propane system would be quite difficult. However, the people that run propane will probably chime in and confirm or deny.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:07 AM
dogdude2003
Senior User
The problem with the under the truck tank is ground clearance and the very expensive 4x4 package skid plates I have down there. I'm in an area where I go off road from time to time. The under the truck tank is the same price or around the same as the Northern tool truck bed tank. Might as well get the extra tank if I go that route.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:38 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
>>And to address the point about my SCT and EDGE unit and warranties:
The SCT can be flashed to stock in 10 minutes. The Edge can be uninstalled for a trip to the dealer in 10 minutes.

It is still traceable by the dealer if they need to dig hard enough from what has been posted in the past. You could set up the propane in the bed of the truck.

I'm not trying to start anything, it just seems as you are already into the power mods. Propane is a great thing, but for what you have posted so far I would recommend an aftermarket undertruck replacement tank for the greater range.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:17 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
The SCT and EDGE cannot be detected if they are removed. And...I've removed them about 10 times for service at Ford...If you are talking about P0603, it's a memory blirp in the PCM and doesn't prove a mod was present. If I was worried about it, I'd just disconnect the batteries and reset the memory....
As far as the propane...I'd love to put it in...but don't want to have to fight Ford with Magnuson Moss in court over a warranty issue.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:18 PM
mrcobra350
Senior User
tough decision dogdude. I have a short bed too. I have a 100 gallon tank that I took out of my old truck when I traded it. It was a long bed. Now I have a roll top cover and a fifth wheel hitch. It would take a months pay to fill up the tank so I think I am going to sell it and buy about a 40 gallon that is L shaped that can slide under the roll top and give me more range when towing my 5th wheel
Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:37 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dogdude2003
The SCT and EDGE cannot be detected if they are removed. And...I've removed them about 10 times for service at Ford...If you are talking about P0603, it's a memory blirp in the PCM and doesn't prove a mod was present. If I was worried about it, I'd just disconnect the batteries and reset the memory....
As far as the propane...I'd love to put it in...but don't want to have to fight Ford with Magnuson Moss in court over a warranty issue.
There are some of whom you will never convince of that... Just ignore it and go on

Old 08-16-2005, 08:05 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
PSD...please weigh in on the propane injection

Old 08-16-2005, 08:13 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dogdude2003
PSD...please weigh in on the propane injection
If your looking for extra range go with another tank of diesel.

Personally, I don't think that highly of propane. It works, it's effective, but IMO it's just a cheap excuse for a bigger set of injectors and a better fuel system, if power is what you are shooting for

Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The TF tank transfers fuel automatically using a pump; the NTool is either a gravity feed into the filler line, or an extra pump that is activated by a solenoid switch--both are extra cost. I've been looking hard at the NT tank, but havent decided.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:35 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Yes..the TF is an automatic and very nice. It's definetly top of the line...but $1700+ dollars?? The NT is a switch in-cab and holds 51 gallons instead of 30. The NT is almost $900 bucks with the diesel transfer stuff. The TF is $1400+ install of $300. It's basically a difference of $500 bucks. And 20 extra gallons vs. automatic filling and digital control in-cab. Also the TF is made in Chico which is 4 hours from here. I could drive there if I had issues and the factory would support me. There is a dealer 40 minutes from here who would do the install and support also and they are very cool and very honest. Again...the NT tank is an additional 20 gallons and is basically the same concept....I'd still get it installed professionally and not spend the 2 days it would take me on my own with no help. Plus...the NT would have to be shipped to my Nevada address (a relative) and that is 1 1/2 hours away...then haul it back here and spend the time installing it.
Decisions decisions. My wife finally said...do we really need it? Diesel is $3.50 here. It would cost us a fortune to fill both tanks!

Old 08-16-2005, 10:44 PM
pickupman2002
Junior User
i dont know that much about propane but i think adding more fuel storage would make more sense. about the cost of fueling a bigger tank i dont see why that is a big deal if a trip takes you 100 gallons a fuel its going to cost the same in you fuel up four times or just once, of course as long as the fuel is the same price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Propane injection or 2nd Diesel tank?