2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best ways to increase fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best ways to increase fuel economy

I'm receiving a new 2005 F-150 5.4L 2WD extended cab Thursday when it is delivered to me door.

The purpose of this truck is to carry race bikes to and from tracks.

I'm interested in learning how to increase this truck's fuel economy. I'm not interested in making the truck any louder.

Suggestions?

Old 07-13-2005, 09:37 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggest you do a search under mileage, we have about fifty threads on that current. Lots of great suggestions, a few arguments.
Have fun
Chris

Old 07-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
I suggest you do a search under mileage, we have about fifty threads on that current. Lots of great suggestions, a few arguments.
Have fun
Chris
I tried to do that but there wasn't really any consensus and some of the ideas seemed to involve making the truck louder or there wasn't any information offered whether or not exhaust mods made the truck louder than stock.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
Keep your foot out of it and never drive faster than 60 mph.-------But you probably already knew that.
Mods that allow your motor to inhale and exhale more freely are generally the best along with a bigger spark. None of these are very inexpensive and some might say that it isn't cost effective either, but if you can afford it, what the heck!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:37 PM
transam396
Senior User
flow master and several other exhaust companies make mufflers that flow MUCH better than stock and aren't much louder than stock if at all . in fact some of the companies have places on there web sites that allow you to hear what the different exhaust sounds like . You can also improve the intake I personally added the airaid modulat intake tube (mit) that leaves the stock airfilter box but moves the intake opening to a different location and has a larger opening that removes the bottle neck where the factory tube goes into the fender. I replaced the factory filter with a K&N . some ppl like the wix replacementfilter it is supposed to flow better than the factory filter , but you have to keep replacing it with the K&N you just clean it

Old 07-14-2005, 07:57 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Will some one please explain to me how the filters help. (I understand that they flow air better, I'm not that stupid ) Here is where I'm a little confused, if you increase the volume of air going into the intake wouldn't the computer have to increase the amount of fuel also to maintain the correct fuel/air mixture and keep the engine running correctly? If this is the case common sense would make one assume because of this your mpg would decrease.
I'm no engine guru but I think I know pretty much the basics and it always seemed to me that you had to trade one (fuel/power) for the other.
Almost every post on air filters claims an increase in mileage which is great, just please explain how the happens. I know modern tech. has changed alot of things and apparently I'm still in the 70's

I know this is kindergarden stuff to some of you out there but please enlighten those of us still in preschool

Old 07-14-2005, 09:35 AM
transam396
Senior User
think about it like this. If you put something over your mouth and nose that had a small opening and didn't allow as much air in as before then while you were just sitting there you probably wouldn't notice anything BUT when you started moving around and needing more air your lungs would have to work harder to get the enough air. Really all you are doing when you these mods if they are well thought out and you pick things that work together is allowing the engine to run more easily . The downside to this is that when you have these enigine running better your more tempted to use it

Old 07-14-2005, 09:56 AM
richtor
Senior User
the best way is just to ride your bikes to the track.

intake and exhaust will help, but if your looking for 20+mpg your not going to find it. its a big heavy truck not just a people mover. my best advice is to say if you cant beat em join em. get the whipple. it will not do anything for fuel milage but every mile you travel will be a blast. yes more fun than the bikes.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Pony Power
Senior User
Well another way would be to get a Ranger with the smallest motor, put the bikes in a trailer and leave the large car in the driveway except for short hauls to the market. That would increase total mpg about 80%. Not much fun though.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:55 AM
RangerRuss
Elder User
Eric:

Use extreme caution when making any modifications or alterations to your brand new truck. There have been several posts on this site from members who had warranty claims denied due to alteration of Ford engineering. Your new truck is what it is and should get the mileage advertised on the window sticker. If your truck does not perform as advertised then Ford is on the hook to make it right.

My $.02.

Russ

Old 07-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
So I should throw reprogrammer and a True Flow intake snorkle at it and call it good? And if I were to go ahead with those minor mods, does anybody know what kind of mileage numbers I'd realize?

Thanks guys!

PS: A side note to richtor: I view cars and trucks as transportation—not entertainment.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:55 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
I found my mileage improved as I got a few miles on the truck and altered my driving habits. Smooth and gentle in both acccesserating and decellerating seems to get me the best mileage. I try to brake as little as possible and let it show down on its own. Mine gets almost exactly what the window sticker said and sometimes a little better.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:34 PM
richtor
Senior User
sorry, my comments were in poor taste. i apologize.

more air in, more air out increases milage marginally. personall driving habits is the best way to improve milage. just look at the difference between highway and stop and go traffic. fuel milage(sp?) is about consumption, the lower the rpms the lower the consumption is. and gas brake gas brake will kill you. the way you drive will do more for milage than any mods you will make.

also i suggest going to a full synthetic oil after breaking(5K miles or so). synthetic will give the engine less friction saving power and milage. i have seen dyno's where the simple switch from conventenial oil to synthetic added 3-5 horsepower to the wheels.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:47 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The oil that Ford recommends, semi-synthetic 5-20 returns the highest mileage of any tested oil that I can find.
Chris

Old 07-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Sliver Doug
Freshman User
I've got the 2005 FX4, 5.4, 3.73 scab, Added the cat back... We all would like better MPG..!! Now tell me about the "AirIntake" filtering systems..name /brands/types.. The pro's and con's.. Why did you add that type..?? Why would'nt you add that type..??
I have read that some have have their engine light stay on after adding different filter systems..??? any Info...
Thanks,
Doug