2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tweeters For The Front Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Forrest_F150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tweeters For The Front Speakers

I ordered 4 Alpine SPR-57LP's from a place online... these are 2 way speakers... however, the place is backordered for a week.....

my neighbor noticed the spots in our front doors for tweeters... i assume maybe the audiophile system comes with 6 speakers (2 tweeters in that location)...

i didn't get the factory stereo upgrade....

i was thinking about cancelling my order and finding a pair of component speakers to install instead so i can fill the tweeter holes in the doors....

anyone have any recommendations on what sounds good and will fit easily...??

Old 07-13-2005, 10:42 PM
transam396
Senior User
infinity makes a good component system that is supposed to be fairly easy to install. I went with the infinity ref 2 way speaker and I can tell you that you will be amazed at the dif in the sound when you put a decent speaker and get that factory stuff out of there

Old 07-13-2005, 10:45 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
Does the stock stereo unit have the outputs for tweeters or is it just a 4 speaker ouptut? This is a good question, Forrest, as I'm thinking of doing this myself. I was staring at my passenger door in traffic the other day and noticed the spot for the tweeter.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 AM
00hotvette
Freshman User
the front door speaker is split by a cross over. the system is 4 channel.Here is a pic with the screen removed I installed kicker 5.25.mygallery.cfm?gnum=6147

Old 07-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Forrest_F150
Senior User
hmm..... 4 channel.... crossover?

forgive me but i am pretty new to car audio..... but on crutchfield's site the component speakers they listed were pictured with tweeters and a box and then the main speaker..... is that box what enables the crossover... thereby allowing 6 speakers to be powered thru only 4 channels? somehow the tweeters are chained off of the main speakers via the box?

Old 07-14-2005, 12:56 AM
triton_2002
Postmaster
The crossover (box) splits the frequencies so the tweeters get the highs and the mids and lows go the woofer (main speaker).

Old 07-14-2005, 07:20 AM
Fatty
New User
I would highly recommend that you use an amp with any component speakers, they will work with out them but in my experience you could not turn them up loud at all. You can get a cheap amp for $75.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:36 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
i assume you had to buy the crossover for your vehicle? and what size speakers are in the door? thanks. You're a pioneer for use upgrade-loving folks.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:20 PM
transam396
Senior User
Originally Posted by ReForder
i assume you had to buy the crossover for your vehicle? and what size speakers are in the door? thanks. You're a pioneer for use upgrade-loving folks.
with a component speaker set (seperate speaker and tweeter) it should come with the crossover the factory speakers are 6x8's most companies make a 5x7 that will fit in the same location with no problem most ppl that use seperates use 6 1/2's and if i'm not mistaken it requires a adapter some companies make a 6x8 seperate set as well just they are usaullya lil bit more expensive a cou-ple of good places to get audio information is crutchfield and cardomain they are both pretty good . and if you are not afraid of shopping online cardomain which several ppl on this forum have used (including myself) have had good luck using them they have a 105% price match policy so you can shop around online and they will beat the price . got my pioneer sub that everyone else sold for 50 for 31

Old 07-20-2005, 09:26 PM
larsimus
New User
How did you get the tweeters out and how did you get the screen off the rear doors. I am having some troubles with that. Are those the infinity 5010cs component speakers you put in? Did you put them in the back as well? Also, where is a good place to mount the amp for the door speakers?

Old 07-21-2005, 07:28 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome larsimus, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I recently swapped out all 4 stock speakers in my '05 screw with a set of Infinity Reference 2-way components in front and a regular Reference 2-way in the rear. Needed to drill 3 small 1/8" holes in the tweeter opening to mount the tweeters since I assume the factory tweeters would otherwise snap in place. No problems other than figuring out how to remove the rear speakers which was easy once I figured it out. Stick the crossover in the area under the window switches. Lot's of space in there.

Was tempted to get the Infinity Kappas, but those were 2ohms, and I wasn't sure if the stock amp could handle it since I noticed the darn thing gets !!!HOT!!!! to the touch even running the stock speakers.

Minor improvement overall. Highs and mids are now far more clear and less muffled. Lost a tad on the bass which seemed somewhat muffled to begin with. I notice my door panels are rattling now if I crank up the volume and bass. I think I need to add some rubber foam behind the speakers to isolate it a bit since the speakers simply press against the plastic panel though they are screwed to the door sheetmetal on standoffs. I wonder if an old neoprene mouse pad will do the trick too :-)

I'm looking into sticking in a sub sometime later but will need a new HU/amp since my non-audiophile unit doesn't have any preamp outs, nor does it drive the subwoofer harness behind the rear seats.

BTW--unlike the front door, the "speaker grill" on rear doors of my screw don't come off. They are permanently attached to the panel. There are plastic tabs that are simply melted and pressed against the panel to make the thing stick. Don't try to take them off. You need to take the door panel completely off to access the speakers.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Bozack
Junior User
For you guys / gals that think their Infinity Ref: series made a big difference you should have spent the extra $ & went w/ the Kappas because they are much better. I've owned both sets & the Kappas are much much chrisper , clearer & louder. Don't get me wrong if you don't have the $ to spend for the difference the Ref: series speaker will do the trick. As for the crossover / some companies including the new 2005 Kappas have an internal crossover so no need in any external wiring for the tweets. If you wanted to add a set of tweets you can just run a wire down & splice it into the exsisting wiring harness. I have also added the Pioneer 12" woofer & a 1200Watt 4channel amp both under the rear seat in my 2004 Scab. The amp is running my entire system for now. I think I'll be adding another amp to get more out of my systems power.

If I can help anyone w/ any ?'s they might have feel free to ask away. I've done all the instal jobs on this truck & even built the woofer enclosure.

Good luck & remember you will get what you pay for w/ car audio

Old 07-22-2005, 12:04 AM
larsimus
New User
Thanks for the speedy reply. Another question, do the tweeters in the front door just pop out? I was playing with them the other night and couldn't get them out. Which way do the pop?

Old 07-22-2005, 12:18 AM
transam396
Senior User
Bozack , while I must agree that the kappa's have a better sound than the ref series for the 50 buck s that I got tied up in my 4 ref series infity's I can't complain in the least seeing as how my sound system has been built on the cheap I'm running a pioneer 10, $31 from cardomain 4 infinty ref 5x7's $50 from ebay, pioneer 200 watt 2 channel amp $20 bucks from a friend, probox rocks custom subbox $150 local audio shop, and a kenwood kdc-mp4028 % 129 from amazon , and a fosgate 4 gauge wiring amp wiring kit froma friend $20 total spent so far 400 bucks and sounds pretty good to me

Quick Reply: Tweeters For The Front Speakers