Off-Road Diesel Fuel

Old 07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guess I can't add pictures to this thing here

Last edited by LONEPINERON; 07-12-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 PM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by handyman43358
Heres my opinion for ya'll who wanna cheat. Cant blame ya as high as the prices are. If the government wants to shaft us, we can do it right back, we're Americans right? Heres my idea. Get yourself a tool box that sits flush to the bottom of the bed, throw a good sized tank in there. Drill holes through the box and bed big enough to rerun the lines and wiring for your pump from your new tank to the filter and so on. Keep you original tank about a quarter of the way full with regular fuel. Cap off the lines coming from that tank. Run off your new tool box tank. If they wanna check it say "sure" as you smile b/c you outsmarted them. If anyone asks why you have a tank in your box, say its for agricultural purposes and you will eventually fill your tractor up with it. Who is gonna look in a toolbox for illegal fuel?
make sure you can keep it full most of the time, when she sloshes it will get you.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:41 PM
99bajakid
Senior User

i wish i lived in texas if i saw some ******* looking in my tank i'd love to shoot his ***. This is the most absurd thing i've heard of. I've never ran, nor plan on running 'offroad diesel' in my truck, so if i ever get pulled over for such bs i will raise hell. I will refuse any sort of unlawful search, i'll probably be in cuffs, but no ******* government is looking into my property without a reason..

Old 07-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Black88GT
Elder User
*edit**edit**edit**edit**edit**edit**edit**edit**e dit**edit**edit*

Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 99bajakid

i wish i lived in texas if i saw some ******* looking in my tank i'd love to shoot his ***. This is the most absurd thing i've heard of. I've never ran, nor plan on running 'offroad diesel' in my truck, so if i ever get pulled over for such bs i will raise hell. I will refuse any sort of unlawful search, i'll probably be in cuffs, but no ******* government is looking into my property without a reason..

Unfortunately even in Texas it is frowned upon to kill someone for "looking in my tank".
If the man asks you if he can check your tank and you refuse that is automatic reasonable suspicion and justification for a search warrant.
A warrant makes the search lawful and if you resist you will go to jail while they check your tank. You cannot win.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:43 AM
99bajakid
Senior User
arg, im so angered by this. I cant believe the local police.. ie. government, can pull over any diesel they feel like just because there 'might' be something illegal going on. To me this seems unconstitutional and immoral really.

Originally Posted by Black88GT
*edit**edit**edit**edit**edit**edit**edit**edit**e dit**edit**edit*
hmm, i cant now.. are stars (**) frowned upon? I dont mean to offend, but this topic really pisses me off.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
arg, im so angered by this. I cant believe the local police.. ie. government, can pull over any diesel they feel like just because there 'might' be something illegal going on. To me this seems unconstitutional and immoral really.

hmm, i cant now.. are stars (**) frowned upon? I dont mean to offend, but this topic really pisses me off.
Yeah, it's real sign of mistrust, but then again, John Q Public hasn't been exactly law abiding in the past by "volunteering" to pay his fair share of the road taxes and choosing to fill up with legal fuel.
It's like a speed trap, immigrant check, weigh station. You comply or fight them. Take two minutes out of your time or two days. They DO NOT care.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:44 AM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Talking ....

Actually guys, its NOT the same fuel. The off road diesel has a slightly higher sulfur content. I too live here in ohio and work for a trucking company. We got stopped while on the way back from cinci and they checked my diesel fuel in the F350 and were going to fine me because of red fuel. It doesnt matter how much you put in, it takes a WHILE to get it ran out. Good thing for me I carry auto trans fluid to ad to the tanks every once in a while. I told them to fine me if they wanted, but they better damn well test the fuel so they could see it was tranny fluid in for the injectors. The cop didnt believe me, detained me, but eventually let me go.
It really was tranny fluid.......................
I swear it was.....................

Old 07-13-2005, 10:02 AM
AKDieselMan
Junior User
I don't want to offend either, but, if you don'w want to pay for the lawful fuel and want to chance getting caught and paying the resulting fine, go for it.

If you want to complain about our government trying to maintain the laws of the land, go to Iraq or Afganistan and buy any kind of diesel you want for your vehicle.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:49 AM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd525
Actually guys, its NOT the same fuel. The off road diesel has a slightly higher sulfur content.
That depends on where you are located. As you state, it is likely in some locations that is a totally different fuel. However, I have personally witnessed a tank truck driver at a filling station take his hose and fill both the offroad and on-road diesel tanks at the gas station from the same compartment in his truck. He just took a plastic packet of dye and dumped it in the top of the off-road tank before he filled it.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
it is higher sulfer here in ks. Also some dot officers have a "sniffer" that they hold at your exhaust, it can detect the higher sulfer content.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:19 PM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru

Just be glad you aren't a trucker, we are the only legal profession with our own law enforcement. Some things are getting out of hand, but I can see why they check for farm fuel, 50 cents a gallon(in some states) adds up.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sholiz
This is interesting concept of removing the red dye, the offroad diesel is around $.90 a gallon here in Upper Michigan.
Well, if not Oxy-Clean...

You could always use Visine...
I hear it "Gets The Red Out".

Old 07-13-2005, 09:37 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Douglas DC-9
Here in Wisconsin (and I'd assume the rest of the USA) has a type of fuel called "Off-Road Diesel." It is basically red-colored diesel fuel that is free of road tax. It's ment to be burned in construction equipment, tractors and vehicles that do NOT travel on public roadways. I hear that they die it red so that mechanics can tell if it's been run through a vehicle on the road, the red stains the fuel filter? If found red, the owner of the vehicle is to be reported to police? I'm just wondering if that's true or is that b/s? I'm also wondering what could happen to someone who burns it in an on-road vehicle? Is this "system" of dying fuel really effective, or can evidence of it be eraced?

Thanks,
DC-9
yes and watch out for ROSCO!!! but i would think it is unlikely that you would be caught because they are really looking for the road tax for fleets of trucks that are trying to save .40-.50 cents/ gallon.
also you would have to know a guy that would sell it to you ... because i bet he is liable too.

i was gonna get an extra 275 in the garage w/ a pump, it is the same as heating oil... ... so i run the heat in the shop when it is 90*... like the seller cares if i run my heat aroung the clock!!!!

Old 07-13-2005, 09:39 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_250
Well, if not Oxy-Clean...

You could always use Visine...
I hear it "Gets The Red Out".
wow, #2 is over $2 here in MA!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off-Road Diesel Fuel