Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best mods for towing power?

Old 07-11-2005, 01:32 PM
randle_ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best mods for towing power?

Recently picked up a '99 PSD extended cab short bed with 80K miles. Had a few electrical problems which seemed to now be worked out (new processor, alternator, a bad relay, etc.) Axle is 3.73

I pull a gooseneck 2 horse trailer. Quite honestly it pulls the loaded trailer absolutely fine with no mods but I want to optimize the truck for towing. I didn't buy the truck to race, go in the mud, make loud rumbling sounds etc. (All of which sounds like fun). I bought it to tow, tow, tow. Typical terrain is in New England and only large hills are those in Vermont (2 miles up hill) which I visit 1-2 times a year.

Four mods I've considered to date are:
1. Open the intake (kwik mod, etc.)
2. Open the exhaust (new 4" downpipe through the tips)
3. Tuner and/or chip
4. 3 guages (pyro, boost, tranny) Any other guages I should consider for towing.

Are there any specific packages which are optimal for towing performance? Also, given my priority for towing is a tuner or chip preferable? I'd like to do the guages first but was once told that I should do the exhaust at the same time to save some effort. I don't mind doing the whole package at once.

Again I need mods for towing only and not to leave rubber skids in the road and scare neighborhood children (hmmm . . . again sounds like fun).

Fire away.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:56 PM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
Sonnax/Tricumulator for the Tranny would be right up there after gauges. It increases the line preasure in the tranny and cuts down on slipage wich helps reduce the heat in the tranny. It also improves the shifts and its pretty simple to install. Best of all you can get one at blackclouddiesel.com for $50.
There is also the transgo tugger shift kit and the FTVB factory tech valve body. I have heard good things about the valve body, if you have the $225 to spend thats a good way to go also.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
randle_ford
Senior User
Are there typically any cost savings and/or advantages to buying a kit which covers all four components or am I equally fine sourcing each individual component?

Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
Some of the sponsers would give you a good deal if you buy packages from them. Check out blackclouddiesel or dieselperformanceparts they are both good place's and could hook you up.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:43 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Originally Posted by randle_ford
Recently picked up a '99 PSD extended cab short bed with 80K miles. Had a few electrical problems which seemed to now be worked out (new processor, alternator, a bad relay, etc.) Axle is 3.73

I pull a gooseneck 2 horse trailer. Quite honestly it pulls the loaded trailer absolutely fine with no mods but I want to optimize the truck for towing. I didn't buy the truck to race, go in the mud, make loud rumbling sounds etc. (All of which sounds like fun). I bought it to tow, tow, tow. Typical terrain is in New England and only large hills are those in Vermont (2 miles up hill) which I visit 1-2 times a year.

Four mods I've considered to date are:
1. Open the intake (kwik mod, etc.)
2. Open the exhaust (new 4" downpipe through the tips)
3. Tuner and/or chip
4. 3 guages (pyro, boost, tranny) Any other guages I should consider for towing.

Are there any specific packages which are optimal for towing performance? Also, given my priority for towing is a tuner or chip preferable? I'd like to do the guages first but was once told that I should do the exhaust at the same time to save some effort. I don't mind doing the whole package at once.

Again I need mods for towing only and not to leave rubber skids in the road and scare neighborhood children (hmmm . . . again sounds like fun).

Fire away.

That's a well thought out list.
Put #4 at the top though. That way you have a baseline to judge any changes by. Note the specs. before any mod.....then after the mod. That way you can gauge the effect of a change.
As has already been stated......tricumulator springs, and Sonnax valve will firm up the shifts; without being harsh. This is an easy install. The TransGo Tugger kit is more involved, and isn't for the "faint at heart", but it does provide down shifts on demand instead of the neutral spot associated to the charactoristics of the stock tranny between downshifts. This kit is designed to give you control over the transmission when going down hills loaded. The tranny acts like a standard in short.
Definitely go with the Sonnax and tricumulator springs.....you will be glad you did. You can always add the other if the need arrises.
I went with a Mag-Hytec tranny pan, and a cooler from a 03. The transmission now holds 24 quarts of fluid along with the bigger cooler. Wheather you go with that cooler or an aftermarket.....you should at least go with as large a cooler as you can get in there, as the stock cooler on your truck is just adequate at best. I hear good things about Trucool.

Last edited by touchofgrey; 07-11-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
randle_ford
Senior User
I'd like to do the guages ASAP. I've heard that to do the Pyro guage is a bit involved and if I was planning on doing the exhaust to simply wait so I don't have to mess around back their twice. Is that true? How much effort is involved to just add the guages (specifically the pyro) without putting in a new downpipe/exhaust?

Thanks for all the advice on the transmission mods. I'm definitely interested in the sonnax valve, larger pan, and cooler.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Max1775
Elder User
It's easy to add gauges. If you put your pyromteter in pre-turbo (which I would definitely recommend), it goes in the manifold or the pre -turbo exhaust pipe, you won't mess with any of that if you do an exhaust later. The aftermarket downpipe and exhaust will all be post-turbo.

Max

Old 07-12-2005, 12:33 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Just wanted to jump in here with my own question. Will the Predator chip do the same thing as the Sonnax? I am planning on doing the chip but also want to help the tranny out for towing. Will the chip help or should I do the sonnax also? Pretty much looking for the same info as Randle but for a '95. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:47 PM
twildman
Junior User
Originally Posted by MPlayer
Just wanted to jump in here with my own question. Will the Predator chip do the same thing as the Sonnax? I am planning on doing the chip but also want to help the tranny out for towing. Will the chip help or should I do the sonnax also? Pretty much looking for the same info as Randle but for a '95. Thanks.
It is better to control line pressure's mechanically than electronically, while a custom tuned chip can adjust line pressure, at different levels according to comfort of driving, the tuners won't give that same leeway, if you want to get a true custom chip, give Jody Tipton a call at 828-712-1405, he can hook you up.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:09 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
So if I went with the Sonnax, can I not use the trans program from the chip or will it still change the line pressure and make it shift too hard? Thanks for the info.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:41 PM
twildman
Junior User
So if I went with the Sonnax, can I not use the trans program from the chip or will it still change the line pressure and make it shift too hard? Thanks for the info.
If you add the sonnax, you can try the program and see how much harder the shifts are, if it is to rough, then don't use the tranny program. It won't hurt anything for test run or two, just don't be driving around and have the tranny really hammer into the next gear.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:21 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
The Pedator three setting chip doesn't give you the ability to not use the trans program does it? It is just plug in and get whatever the program is right?

Old 07-13-2005, 04:42 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
The Pedator three setting chip doesn't give you the ability to not use the trans program does it? It is just plug in and get whatever the program is right?
i believe that is correct... now.. here is the reason that i did NOT go with a chip straight away... with a tuner, you can adjust for the mods that you add.. a chip you can't, so... when i added the sonnax mod to my tranny, i turned the tranny adjustment OFF on my predator tuner... now.. when i get all the mods the way i want them i am going to get a really good 6 position chip from somebody...

Old 07-13-2005, 04:58 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Thanks! That is a good idea. I just liked the idea of being able to switch on the fly between stock and the 50hp or 70hp setting. I also didn't want to buy more than one chip or programmer. How do you like your programmer? Do you change settings often or run the same one most of the time? I am pretty happy with my truck just stock if I'm not towing my 8000# travel trailer or towing the racecar. But if I could gain a little mpg unloaded and gain some towing power I'm all for adding a chip or programmer. I just didn't want to spend over $400 on a chip or programmer only to replace it with something else later if I don't like it. Do you know what the HP rates are for a 95'? Thanks for the info.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:27 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
mplayer... i don't know what you have for a truck.. but i'll say this... get gauges first... if you don't already have them... you must be able to monitor you engine and tranny when you are towing, and if you add mods that dump more fuel, and that's how chips AND tuners give you more power, then you have to be able to monitor the extra heat that is made... if you don't, you'll burn something up...

to answer your questions.. i like my tuner.. i run on the 60hp/145ft lbs. torque setting.. it make the best dailly driver.. i have the sonnax valve so i don't use the tuner to firm up my tranny anymore... i change down to the 40hp/100ft lbs tow setting when i pull my 5ver because it exceeds the 8k max that the 60hp setting has.. the gain in the power is AMAZING...! i would like to "switch on the fly" to, but i really don't need to.. so for now i'll stick with this system... the 80 hp setting on the predator is really wild, and the 100hp/200ftlb setting is useless... i can't keep the tires on the ground, and i'm sure over 300hp and 700ftlbs isn't good for an otherwise stock tranny, and since i don't want to pay for a new one of those yet, i just take it easy...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best mods for towing power?