1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

3 speed transmission swap to an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 11:49 AM
okie65
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 speed transmission swap to an automatic?

I have a 68 F-100 with a inline 240 engine and a 3 speed transmission. Since I'm older now......and I no longer have the need for speed inaddition to having some problems with my legs, I was wondering how much modifications it would require to swap to an automatic transmission and still keep the 240. Is this possible? If so, what transmission. I'm on a fixed income so if it's too extreme, maybe will have to part with my baby. Please help!

DB

Old 07-10-2005, 12:27 PM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its alot easier to put a auto in a manual equiped truck than the other way around.

to "look right" you will need an auto steering column, but you can use an aftermarket floor shifter and it is easier.

you will need an auto transmission mount, a slip yoke driveshaft and an automatic starter and flex plate.

the hardest part to find is the 300 auto kickdown linkage.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:25 PM
4Cammer72
Elder User
you will need a c4 trans and you wont be able to install the tranny from underneath without removing the front crossmember which is factory rivited to the frame or you could take the bellhousing off (thats how i did it ) until the tranny is up close to position and bolt it back on or the most comon way is to remove the engine and install the engine and tranny as a unit. hope this doesn't discourage you from keeping the truck.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:05 PM
okie65
Freshman User
Thank you all for your quick response! I guess I'll start looking for a "good deal" on a auto steering column. I have a custom built floor console for my CD so I guess I won't be doing anything the easy way. Any manuals out there that I could purchase that could help me with this swap?

Old 07-10-2005, 02:36 PM
4Cammer72
Elder User
i think a couple guys have bought the cd version on ebay. id start the hunt there.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:03 PM
okie65
Freshman User
Thanks for all your help

Old 07-10-2005, 10:01 PM
RICHMC54
Junior User
I HAD A 300 in mine swapped out to a 302. Replaced my 3 speed with a c-6.
New drive line. Had to move transmission crossmember.(drill holes) Took out bushing , put on flex plate. New starter. Replaced 3 speed collum with auto collum. Also Clutch break assembly w/just brake pettle assembly. Bought a parts truck and just swapped parts. Havent started it yet hoping it works. (frame off restoration) Shuold have it together soon.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:22 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
won't this swap need a new radiator for tranny cooling lines, or do all the radiators have them

Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 AM
J&T's 67
Junior User
Yep, it will need a new radiator due the lack of cooling lines for the automatic unless you want to run a seperate trans cooler. I did a 240 3spd to a 351W C6 and needed to replace the radiator anway. It was only about $150 and it was twice the size which is great for the Texas heat that I am in

Old 07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
fordxxx
Senior User
Do you really need an auto that bad. I sounds like a lot of trouble and expense for something that will be a questionable improvement. Remember the auto will absorb some of the little power that is produced by that 240.

At the point where you have to remove the cross-member, put in a new steering column and replace the radiator I would say forget it.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:53 PM
okie65
Freshman User
That is a good point. Loss of power and then all the additional problems with cooling that would come with an auto would become more than I would rather deal with right now. All of this does seem a little much and well out of my tiny income anyway. I thank you all for your input.......you guys know your stuff and your advice it first class! Guess I'll just keep it original and in the garage. Who knows, in a few years, a 1968 truck with 52,000 miles on it might be worth something to someone.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:02 PM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not only does the auto take more power to operate, but your 1st gear will go from 3.03:1 ratio to 2.46:1

its a lose/lose situation.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:40 AM
red68ranger
Senior User
Wait a minit guys. It's only lose-lose depending on what you need and what you want to do with the truck. I canned the 3-on-the-tree in my '68 for a c-6 three or four years back and ain't looked back yet. It was way more fun than it was work and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But then I don't haul cement blocks every day or anything like that. I drive it to work, church, wherever, sometimes haul off a load of junk to the landfill, stuff like that. It's a whole lot more likeable truck with auto, p/s and pdb. Admittedly, my 360 probably will pull a little harder than the OP's 240.

DB

Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Hussarian
New User
I have 1969 F100, 240ci and 3 spd column. The column shift is a huge mess. With the binding between 1 and 2, and rag joint that has seen better days, this truck is a bit dangerous to drive.

So, I have decided to go with a retrofit steering column from ididit to replace the old one. Since I will not be going back with column shift, I've been giving serious consideration to either a floor shift or swap to C-4 automatic. I can pick up a C-4 fairly cheap just about anywhere. No heavy hauling involved. And, this will be a daily driver for the daughter.

Some thoughts and questions for the C-4 swap:

1. From what I have read in previous posts, the trans x-member is riveted. I suppose an air chisel or big drill will be needed to remove for C-4 install; or engine/bell-housing removed for clearance.

2. New radiator with transmission cooling lines will be needed.

3. New flex plate, torque converter needed...anything else? Can I use the same starter?

4. Reverse light switch will need to be wired up for C-4.

5. Does the drive shaft need to be cut/welded to fit? Is spline count on drive shaft the same between 3-spd and C-4?

6. Are there any issues with removing the clutch pedal if I go to automatic? Do I need a new pedal setup or can I use the old one (sans the clutch pedal)?

7. Can I use the same bell housing from my 3 spd for the C-4?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 AM
williamwilliam
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by red68ranger
Wait a minit guys. It's only lose-lose depending on what you need and what you want to do with the truck. I canned the 3-on-the-tree in my '68 for a c-6 three or four years back and ain't looked back yet. It was way more fun than it was work and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But then I don't haul cement blocks every day or anything like that. I drive it to work, church, wherever, sometimes haul off a load of junk to the landfill, stuff like that. It's a whole lot more likeable truck with auto, p/s and pdb. Admittedly, my 360 probably will pull a little harder than the OP's 240.

DB
Exactly. Unless your doing alot of towing and hauling, an automatic is the way to go. My 68 was also a 360 with a factory 3spd, but a friend of mine who owns another 68 was looking to put a 4spd in his so he traded everything in his automatic for everything on my 3spd, so mine actually looks factory installed. I couldnt be happier with it. And also mine has a beefy cam so when cruising through town I was always caught going between 2nd and 3rd 2nd and 3rd......Now its just "D" and go.

Quick Reply: 3 speed transmission swap to an automatic?