2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold start noise on 5.4 3V

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 06:57 AM
1workhorse
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cold start noise on 5.4 3V

I have noticed shortly after start-up, about a minute after sitting overnite or after several hours, there seems to be a tap coming from the right side of the engine, it goes away aproximately 5 minutes after start-up, I have 23,000 miles on it, and ran Mobil 1 synthetic until last oil change which I currently have Motorcraft 5W-20. I talked to a mechanic at a Ford dealer and was told to not use Mobil 1 in this engine. He said he has been to Ford seminars and has seen damaged parts due to this oil. Problems relating to the oil being too "slick" and some of the valvetrain components not moving freely. I have used Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles including an 03 Explorer with the 4.6 which has never made a noise, an 03 E-250 with the 2V 5.4 with 80,000 miles which has never seen a shop. I am hoping this isn't the problem because of my history using Mobil 1. I haven't heard of this anywhere else. If someone can help me out on this, it would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to have this truck sit at a dealer for days for them to tell me they can't find a problem. Thanks

Old 07-10-2005, 07:55 AM
YOMAN
Elder User
Its very common on 5.4...you can do the search here and other ford forums..

if you listen to it while your stand next to passenger side fender and does it sound like a cook clock (w/ **** turns) that made a low tickling noise? if thats the one...thats normal.

If you can hear it from INSIDE the truck while your sit in it and window closed, its possible cam phaser. theres TSB for it.

I know some of us uses mobil one 5w-20 and some different brands of oil. You can do the search "mobil one".

YOMAN!

Old 07-10-2005, 11:43 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1workhorse
I have noticed shortly after start-up, about a minute after sitting overnite or after several hours, there seems to be a tap coming from the right side of the engine, it goes away aproximately 5 minutes after start-up, I have 23,000 miles on it, and ran Mobil 1 synthetic until last oil change which I currently have Motorcraft 5W-20. I talked to a mechanic at a Ford dealer and was told to not use Mobil 1 in this engine. He said he has been to Ford seminars and has seen damaged parts due to this oil. Problems relating to the oil being too "slick" and some of the valvetrain components not moving freely.
Snip
I don't think the mechanic was lying, he was just 'keeping it simple'. The problem that Ford and others have found with synthetic, as opposed to partial synthetic, is drain-back. That's the way synthetic oils come off a surface better and quicker than non synthetic oils.

In 'oil school' you use a screwdriver, and dip it in various oils. Then pull it out and wait a certain time.
Then grasp the end and see how slick it is. With gooey stuff, like the old STP, it's gooey all day long.

With regular oil, it remains slick for a long time. With pure synthetic, it actually becomes dry in a very short time. The oil runs off it. That's because it is so much better at not coating or sticking to surfaces.

(Last time I had to sit through one of these classes, they had a cute device that clamped on the metal plate you used instead of a screwdriver, and gave you a digital readout of how slick it was. Not an improvment, but it did have pretty LED's...)

There are pros and cons to oil remaining on metal. If a tiny bit of oil remains on your cam, that's good at startup. If too much remains, you get lousy gas mileage and eventually it gums up.

Ford has decided that they want oil up to the top fast, which equals thin oil, but they want sturdy oil that can handle hard engine stresses like towing/4x4ing and traffic jams.

Solution, partial synthetic, very thin, but has some sticking power.

Pluses include, it gets to the top end very fast, has very little engine drag, is 'sturdy oil' and there is enough conventional oil to allow it to leave a film over night, and thus lessen the dry start condition on the overhead cams.

I have a dark suspicion that all the research they did, and the fact that they know these engines VERY well indicates they might actually know what oil you should use.

This isn't like an old overhead valve 302 or 300 six where you could mess with their recommendations to your hearts content.

I have had rattles from a 350 Chevy, and a 4.9 Cadillac on cold start using Mobil 1.

On the other hand, it is all I use in a Northstar, or would ever use in an LT1. Or any other motor that recommends it. A lot of the finest engines recommend Mobile One.

I don’t think that has a darn thing to do with this engine.
Good oil, it just might not be the best all around for this truck.

True believers will of course argue, but for those who are not followers of the Lord Mobil 1 or Amsoil worshipers, just try using the factory recommended oil. It's cheap, and very highly rated. Why worry about it?

Chris

Old 08-13-2005, 04:05 AM
KTMaviator
New User
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams

In 'oil school' you use a screwdriver, and dip it in various oils. Then pull it out and wait a certain time.
Sounds like a low-tech Tribology class? I prefer Hydrocracked oil,with just a hint of Ester.

Last edited by KTMaviator; 08-13-2005 at 04:41 AM.