Are Hydrogen Powered cars the future?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Flash635
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 76supercab2
What are the byproducts of burning hydrogen?
In ideal conditions - water.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:57 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash635
In ideal conditions - water.
Cool a greenhouse gas!!!

Under Ideal conditions, the only byproduct of burning gasoline would be CO2 and H20. So, what about in the real world where we would be using H2 in an internal combustion engine. What would the byproducts be?

Old 05-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Howdy
Posting Guru
I think the article touting Hydrogen being as costing more to produce only used coal as a benchmark. Windpower is here and they are making money on it, even with selling it at 2.5 cent/KWH.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:39 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool a greenhouse gas!!!
?!?
what about in the real world where we would be using H2 in an internal combustion engine. What would the byproducts be?
Obviously, if there are some burnable particles (i.e. pollen) or some gas (i.e. methane or H2S) they'll get burned, too, but for all practical purposes they can be ignored because the concentration of them should be small enough. Some lubricants can also burn off, but that should also be negligible, as well as wear metals that exit via the exhaust.

But there is one possible nasty byproduct, NOx (mostly NO2) if the temperature in the combustion chamber is high enough. NO2 can cause smog and ozone depletion when the humidity is low (i.e. Los Angeles); with water it will make nitric acid which can lead to acid rain.

There are several ways to combat NOx, and rest assured, if a hydrogen powered engine ever goes into production, NOx will be taken care of one way or another.

Last edited by aurgathor; 05-20-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aurgathor
?!?
http://www.espere.net/Unitedkingdom/...tervapour.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/1605/ggccebro/chapter1.html

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwa...Emissions.html

Now, since the current, best way to obtain hydrogen is by steam reformation of natural gas (AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHh and EVIL!!!! Hydrocarobon!!!!!), the hydrogen produced is not from water. Meaning that if it is burned in an oxygen atmosphere, you will be adding water to the environment. AND, now that I think of it, you'll also be depletingt the atmosphere of Oxygen. And producing a green house gas (water vapor).

But the fun doesn't end there. The byproduct of steam reformation (besides H2) is ..................... (wait for it ) .....................

Ding ding ding!!!!! CARBON DIOXIDE!!!!! MORE green house gas!!!! Yea!!!!!!

Originally Posted by aurgathor
Obviously, if there are some burnable particles (i.e. pollen) or some gas (i.e. methane or H2S) they'll get burned, too, but for all practical purposes they can be ignored because the concentration of them should be small enough. Some lubricants can also burn off, but that should also be negligible, as well as wear metals that exit via the exhaust.

But there is one possible nasty byproduct, NOx (mostly NO2) if the temperature in the combustion chamber is high enough. NO2 can cause smog and ozone depletion when the humidity is low (i.e. Los Angeles); with water it will make nitric acid which can lead to acid rain.

There are several ways to combat NOx, and rest assured, if a hydrogen powered engine ever goes into production, NOx will be taken care of one way or another.
Now THERE, is a complete explanation.

My point is not to discount H2 as an energy carrier (ie battery, it is not an energy source because you have to put too much energy into it's production to use it). It may very well come into common use. But, no matter what the actions of man are, there will ALWAYS be consequences. Best to look at the whole picture so as not to be surprised further down the road.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:58 AM
Flash635
Senior User
That was a good post, 76supercab2.

It just goes to show that The Powers That Be don't want to fix the problem, just to be seen to be doing something.

I don't know what emmissions burning H2 in real world conditions would be and I don't know how to find out.
White Coats only ever do things in controlled lab conditions.

It seems to me that LPG, or propane as you call it, is still a pretty good option.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:55 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
h
But the fun doesn't end there. The byproduct of steam reformation (besides H2) is ..................... (wait for it ) .....................

Ding ding ding!!!!! CARBON DIOXIDE!!!!! MORE green house gas!!!! Yea!!!!!!

Now THERE, is a complete explanation.
I do not know what is the most efficient way to make hydrogen, but that's mostly irrelevant since there are several ways to make hydrogen without producing greenhouse gases during the process, it just requires some water and electricity. Solar, wind, or nuclear powerplants do not produce greenhouse gases. They do have their issues, but no CO2 emission.

My point is not to discount H2 as an energy carrier (ie battery, it is not an energy source because you have to put too much energy into it's production to use it). It may very well come into common use. But, no matter what the actions of man are, there will ALWAYS be consequences. Best to look at the whole picture so as not to be surprised further down the road.
But the consequences of certain fuels are more severe than other ones, and it may also depend on the status quo. At one time it was S02 from coal (ie. London) that caused big problems. So in the industralized world, coal is now mostly used in big powerplants that can limit SO2 emission.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:50 AM
tdford
Senior User
Also, modern wind generators have radar which can detect flocks of migratory birds, and the generators stop when birds are in the way
I'd just set up a "chicken" processing plant at the base of the towers and let the mills keep turning. Better yet, just set out a spread of decoys and some hunter dummys. That will keep the birds flyin' high.

If you want to get political think of it this way. It's not the value of fuel that's gone up. A gallon of fuel will only do the same work it did last year. Your money just isn't worth as much as it used to be.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:41 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Flash635
I don't know what emmissions burning H2 in real world conditions would be
Since this is one of the simplest chemical reactions, most of the real world products are very predictable, and I think I pretty much listed them all.

and I don't know how to find out.
Study some chemistry.

It seems to me that LPG, or propane as you call it, is still a pretty good option.
While they burn much cleaner than heavier compounds, they still generate CO2.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Flash635
Senior User
Rest assured aurgathor, my chemistry studying days are well and truly over.

I still don't know where I could find independant results for emissions testing of a hydrogen burning, road going vehicle.

I know where I can get laboratory produced results in sterile conditions, hell, I could work it out myself.

I won't be fitting a hydrogen cell to my 1996 Explorer.
I will be fitting a computer controlled, sequential, vapour injected LPG system though.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Flash635
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdford
I'd just set up a "chicken" processing plant at the base of the towers and let the mills keep turning. Better yet, just set out a spread of decoys and some hunter dummys. That will keep the birds flyin' high.

If you want to get political think of it this way. It's not the value of fuel that's gone up. A gallon of fuel will only do the same work it did last year. Your money just isn't worth as much as it used to be.
With a bit of luck you'll get some rare and endangered species flying into your chop shop.
The Japs will pay top dollar for food from the endagered and close to extinction list.

That's a good point about the dollar value of the fuel.
Worldwide oil prices is one of the biggest hoodwink jobs ever.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:28 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LPG is just not that different than gasoline or diesel. It is still a hydrocarbon fuel distilled from crude oil. Maybe LPG prices are significantly lower than gasoline in some areas, but that is probably because it is not taxed as road fuel.

Jim

Old 06-22-2006, 10:53 AM
jimntexas
New User
Propane is refined primarily from Natural gas, not, crude oil. (It is a by product of crude oil refining.)

Old 06-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Flash635
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimntexas
Propane is refined primarily from Natural gas, not, crude oil. (It is a by product of crude oil refining.)
And it burns a lot cleaner than any other viable fuel.

Cheap too.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:47 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Liquified Petroleum Gas does not come from petroleum? Propane (C3H8) and Butane (C4H10) cannot be refined directly from methane (CH4). Gas-To-Liquids technology to get heavier hydrocarbons from natural gas has not yet been put in large scale production.

Such hydrocarbons may be a by-product of hydrogen production at refineries if natural gas (and a lot of energy) is the feedstock. LPG has always been part of the output stream of crude distillation.

Jim

Quick Reply: Are Hydrogen Powered cars the future?