Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Water spray on IC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 03:39 PM
bhd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water spray on IC?

Does anyone do this with diesels? Does it really increase O density much, or rather, to a noticable performance change in our diesels?

Old 07-04-2005, 10:22 PM
psdpower
Elder User
Yes and yes. Most people build there own setups using a windshield washer reservoir, washer pump, and in ground garden sprayer parts form Home Depot or Lowes. I have even seen pulling trucks wet down the IC before a pull with one of those hand pump pressurized sprayers. I was going to build one for my 99 for use on the dyno, but didn't because it would have bumped me up a class in the dyno competition. The club I belong to that runs the dyno comp, and makes the class rules said this was because they had seen previous trucks make significant gains with sprayer systems. Even if it had worked really well, it would have put me in the class with twin turbo Dodges and I would not have been competitive. Another thing to look into is Nitrous sprayer kits. These are starting to gain popularity with the import crowd. They work on the same principle except they spray nitrous on the IC instead of water. It would be a good bit more expensive both in initial cost and long term use, but dyno tests have shown a good increase in power, at least on gas powered cars. Think about it this way: going down the road at about 60 mph, roll down the window and stick your hand out, feels about the same as the ambient air temp, now stick your hand in a bucket of water, water temp isn't really important, and stick it back out the window, feels much cooler then ambient.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:22 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by psdpower
Yes and yes. Most people build there own setups using a windshield washer reservoir, washer pump, and in ground garden sprayer parts form Home Depot or Lowes.
Do you know how these people had them activated? I'd like to have mine activated at wide open throttle; does anyone know what part I would need to do that?

Old 07-05-2005, 12:25 AM
psdpower
Elder User
Use a WOT switch available from most nitrous suppliers and wire it to what ever you have set up to spray water. One thing to remember about water sprayers is mount the reservoir and pump low, if the nozzles are lower then the top of the reservoir the the nozzles will leak. You could wire in a 3 position momentary switch ( on-off-on as long as you hold the switch ) that way flip the switch to the left it is on until you turn it off or it runs dry, or flip it to the right for short bursts, it automaticly turns off when you let off the switch.

Last edited by psdpower; 07-05-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:24 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
psdpower, would the nozzles spraying right on the intercooler itself be the best place?

Old 07-05-2005, 02:45 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
Will this keep egt's a little cooler?

Old 07-05-2005, 07:18 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Vancouverpower, I definitely think that this would lower egts drastically...and with nitrous oxide they would be down even lower

Old 07-05-2005, 07:19 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Does propane increase egts?

Old 07-05-2005, 07:40 PM
lancer
Elder User
I'm one of these guys that thinks alot. Got to thinking when i read this. Wouldn't it be cool (no pun intended) if you could run your intake air through an A/C unit like the one in your dash. Its not that big and would provide all the cold air you want! I know they suck power so it would be no good for dyno pulls were you want every little bit of horsepower but on a daily driver i notice no real differance with my A/C on or off. Hmmmm? Now i have myself thinking agian!

Old 07-05-2005, 07:43 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Originally Posted by edub32
You would probably have to ask quadzilla that question. He's one of the few I know that is using propane. But as the price of fuel keeps going up.....I suspect more will be using it in the future.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Lancer while your thinking, consider the amount of power gained with the cooler air vs the amount of power lost to run the AC to cool the air. Now I have a headache!

Old 07-05-2005, 11:02 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A guy on TDS dreamed up the AC cooled IC, some engineer guy. it was pretty much a break even, or lose HP thing, no gain.

I think we might be getting water INJECTION confued for water spray here. I don't see water on the IC giving much cooling, or enough to notice an EGT difference. NOs, maybe. I think CO2 would give some cooling to, but if it got into your intake, bye bye fun. CO2 would snuff it out.

Now if you really wanna lower your EGT's, do water injection.

'pane will mostly likely keep your EGT's the same, but boost will come up, so you might see a lower EGT.

Diesel Rod

Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 AM
psdpower
Elder User
444Dieselrod is correct water/meth injection will lower egts, as will nitrous injection to a point. What I was talking about was external water and/or nitrous sprayers which also will lower egts to a point. Water sprayers come from WRC. Rally cars use water sprayers to combat heatsoak, a condition where the IC gets hotter then the air passing through it there by rendering it useless. I have seen guys spray everything, IC, IC tubes, the turbo itself. Does it make power, well not directly, but by cooling egts, there by allowing you to cram more air and fuel in, then yes it could make some power. Is it worth it for a mild daily driver, probably not, it is more for the all out puller or racer, trying to get that last little bit of power.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:59 AM
edub32
Posting Guru
Is there any danger to spraying these hot parts with water??? Couldn't it crack the turbo or something?

Old 07-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Max1775
Elder User
Originally Posted by edub32
I haven't seen an increase in EGT's running propane, actually they've been slightly lower. Tons of power though. I'm working on a 2 stage system to drop more propane at full throttle, using a go-button and doubling the amount injected for those "special moments" when you want a lot of HP!

Max

Quick Reply: Water spray on IC?