04 stx 4x4 squeaking brakes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

04 stx 4x4 squeaking brakes

Old 06-29-2005, 10:22 PM
stx4x4
Junior User
stx4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 04 stx 4x4 squeaking brakes

bought a new 4x4 stx 2004, had it for 9 months since the 4th month i had truck brakes would always squeak, took it to dealership kept getting checked they say everything is ok, took it to brake shop said same thing, squeaking is normal, any one else have this problem, please help, advise what i can do thaks!

Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
ChrisAdams is starting off with a positive reputation.
Squeak squeal, shriek? any of those?

Most brake noises are from sand, dust, grit, in between the pads and the rotor. Most of the sound comes to you from the caliper, so sometimes you can 'insulate' the pad from the caliper.

That's the 'solution' usually offered by the sticky backs, or the goop you apply.
For short term relief, you can spray the pad/rotor till it's very clean. That will sometimes work, till you get another piece of grit in the pads. It's OK if the noise is from a rare drive down a dusty/sandy road.

Some pads make less noise, usually because they are made of a material that doesn't transmit sound as well.
If the brake guy can't help you, then he doesn't think it's anything wrong with the pad itself.
The place didn't suggest putting stuff on the backs of the pads?
Chris

Old 06-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Ruckus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Throughout the years I have noticed my brakes squeal after getting wet. This has happened on every vehicle I have ever owned. The sqeak usually goes away after driving enough to dry the pads out and clean the rust off the rotors. Sometimes pads get a glaze on them. You could try sanding the glaze off but it more than likely will develop again. Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:35 AM
patriots6800
Senior User
patriots6800 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My breaks make all kinds of noise right after i wash the truck and go in reverse after that its fine i think its just a little rust on the disk from the water and cleaner.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:12 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Rust makes a racket, so does soap and water. But I think he is getting that high pitched sound, the one that makes people turn and look at you when you stop.
I used to get a lot of customers with that, and it usually turned out they lived down a block to a mile of dirt road, or used a dirt short cut, etc. A little sand in between a pad and rotor can make a noise that will set your teeth on edge at 100 feet.
Chris

Old 06-30-2005, 11:32 AM
azfordowner
Senior User
azfordowner is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 04 SC 4x4 sounds terrible when braking. On the third set of updated ford rotors, and the sound gets louder/worse with each set. Sounds like a garbage truck or semi stopping, even after only about 2k miles on new rotors and pads. I do not live near any dirt roads. I was told that Ford is updating the rotors and pads (service bulletins) with harder metals and thus they tend to make more noise. It is almost embarrassing to stop now. I've had a 99, 01,02, and 03 ford truck and never had the sqweaky brakes until about 35k.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:07 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
KevinM is starting off with a positive reputation.
The fix maybe to just pull the calipers, pull the pads and use the blue anti squeal liquid. This stuff acts as an insulator between the shims and the caliper. It's not usually caused by the rotors alone but a combination of semi metallic brake pads at a certain hardness against a rotor that has some glazing. Changing pads to another manufacturer could also help!

Old 06-30-2005, 07:05 PM
G-Jimmy
New User
G-Jimmy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bad brakes

I have a 04 F150 supercrew 4X4, from day one the brakes made noise, took it to the dealer, and was told ford is aware of it , and to do nothing. So I decided to use "valve grinding compound", which a little bit goes along way, I was under the impression the noise was coming from the front rotors, but after the treatment, I hear only the rears making noise. it seems its going to be a battle with these brakes.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:30 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
G-Jimmy, I am not pointing this at you, but I am Ranting because of all the posts that blame every trivial thing and every componant on design problems.

There’s something about this truck, maybe because it's a new model.

If someone gets a flat tire, he posts ‘the tires are bad on these trucks, must be a poor design’ and someone else replies 'Yeah, I had a flat too. The trucks are junk.'

Sure there are problems, and sure the guys with them should post, and ask for help.

Heck, we all do, that's what forums are for.

But why does everybody start the 'model is no good' stuff on every trivial thing?

I have been hearing that they have made a million of this model already. Could be, it seems like half of them are in my town...

Most of them are fine.

Most of the problems are not endemic to this marques.

When you have a bad tire, it ain't the bloody design of the truck.

When your brake squeals, it ain't the bloody design of the truck.

Even the thing like the e-brake rusting, notice that 99+ percent of the drivers don't ever have that problem.

Even the Vibe Tribe, something that you CAN blame on the design of the truck, affects a small fraction of a percent.

Sorry to rant, but if your brakes squeal, fix it.

KevinM and I have both mentioned 'gooping' the back of the pad, a very likely cure.

Cleaning it with valve grinding compound to remove small scratches seems a little on the severe side, but what the heck, it's an old method from the 60's.
Nowadays most places would just turn them. But whatever works.

Just get off the design thing. Disk brakes predate WW2, and the system was good then, and is good now.
Chris

Old 06-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Ruckus is starting off with a positive reputation.
G-Jimmy, Welcome aboard. You will find this site very helpful in learning various things about the new body style pickups. Most of us appreciate hearing about real problems. Keep them coming! Good Luck!