2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rims - What tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 07:15 PM
STJones
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New rims - What tires?

I just bought some 17" Expedition Limited chrome wheels on ebay -
item#7983112369
Now comes the tires!
I plan on leveling it and putting 33's on. I like the BFG AT but the guy at the tire story tried to talk me into the Dick Cepek radials. I also like the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX. I am not sure if I should go OWL or blackwall either. Well it took me 6 monthes to buy the rims, so how long could tires take.
I hope the wheels look good on an F150 - I haven't seen anyone with them on one yet. My truck is a silver XLT SCrew by the way.
Any input will help- thanks.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:12 PM
patriots6800
Senior User
I'd go with the BFG AT's I had them on my bronco and they were awesome,snow, soft sand, hard sand, and highway, just wish they made them to fit the big rims on my fx4

Old 06-27-2005, 08:56 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spend a few minutes/hours reading up on Tirerack.com review section. Lots and lots on tires, from people that have used them.
Find the tire size you want, then look at the different brands, then read the user reviews on each tire.
I think the reviews are the best part of that site.
Chris

Old 06-27-2005, 09:50 PM
jasonburrwc84
New User
Are you old rims for sale? If you are interested in selling them email me at jasonburrwc84@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2005, 07:36 AM
FS-150
Senior User
I like my Toyo Open Country A/T's. I have heard good things about the M/T's also.
http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/lightTruck_suv/

Old 06-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
I like the BFG AT's. A lot of people prefer blackwall on chrome. I like black or OWL as long as they are clean. I think either looks great. Most BFG's I have seen have white letters out. Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2005, 07:58 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Dick Cepeks

Originally Posted by STJones
I just bought some 17" Expedition Limited chrome wheels on ebay -
item#7983112369
Now comes the tires!
I plan on leveling it and putting 33's on. I like the BFG AT but the guy at the tire story tried to talk me into the Dick Cepek radials. I also like the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX. I am not sure if I should go OWL or blackwall either. Well it took me 6 monthes to buy the rims, so how long could tires take.
I hope the wheels look good on an F150 - I haven't seen anyone with them on one yet. My truck is a silver XLT SCrew by the way.
Any input will help- thanks.
Dick Cepek tires are not all that common in Canada (yet). I saw a set on an "oil patch" truck a while ago and struck up a conversation with the owner. He says his company finds them better all around than the BFG AT's or even MT's they were using. These guys make their living in some pretty ugly conditions and they don't stick with products that don't work.

OWL's look pretty good for a while on a 4X4. Then they start to get a little ragged looking. If I had been thinking I would have had my BFG AT's installed with the white letters in.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:46 PM
gpeade
Elder User
ST, I'm running the Mickey baja's and while I don't dislike them I'm not real happy about them. I always heard friends talking about the baja belted and how soft of a compound the had but I did not consider that with these. Apparently these are the same.... mine only have about 6k miles on them but after about 4k I noticed the center of the rear tires was wearing. turns out the rears were overinflated. I know this will wear the center of a tire tread but these guys are at least 1/8 shorter in the center, so much so that as you look across the tread it is easily noticed.
Also the seem to flat spot easily. I only drive my truck occasionally but these will get flat spotted in just a couple of days. On the flip side just a few miles and they are smooth again.
Don't base your decision solely on my info the posts before me had some great advice. Good luck

Old 07-14-2005, 02:18 PM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
BFG AT's

Originally Posted by patriots6800
I'd go with the BFG AT's I had them on my bronco and they were awesome,snow, soft sand, hard sand, and highway, just wish they made them to fit the big rims on my fx4
Agree with you completely, adding in gravel roads as well. Where I find the AT's have a weakness is in mud. They clog up pretty quickly and get pretty slippery. Guess that's why they also make the MT's.

I suspect the Goodyear MTR's may be the best compromise tire. Just way too expensive for me.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:16 PM
STJones
Senior User
gpeade

i really like the look of your truck - i was going to get those rims. I think my mind is made up and I will get the Baja radials. I really don't need the MT's - I don't offroad and I drive the truck everyday. I like the BFG AT's I have on the Suburban, I just want to try something else. My General Americrap's also flat spot, so I am used to it.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:25 PM
gpeade
Elder User
A good note, if noise is a concern, don't worry the mickeys are very quiet!

Old 07-14-2005, 10:04 PM
T_Moss
Senior User
Those new Cooper STT's Mud radials are pretty sweet. They have a 285/70/17. 33/11.50

Old 07-14-2005, 10:47 PM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Cooper STT's

Originally Posted by T_Moss
Those new Cooper STT's Mud radials are pretty sweet. They have a 285/70/17. 33/11.50
I actually started on this thread to try to find out about the STT's. I am moving to an area where the road into the community is called a "bush road". I think my current BFG AT's will be O.K. but I want to have a good alternative in a mud tire.

How long have you been running those tires? The dealer I was talking to says that the ST's are almost as good in mud but much quieter. Of course he also can't get any STT's right now. I don't want to spend the money to change from the BFG's unless there is a marked improvement in muddy conditions.

Also are you running the 285's on the stock wheels? I have the 3.55 gears and will probably stick with 265's unless I also decide to go to a tuner.

At least we're finally starting to get a few more realistic choices for stock size tires that actually work on a 4X4. I just wish that Toyo would make the M55's in 17". Still the best all around tire for where I live.

Last edited by bigdavewilson; 07-14-2005 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Additonal info
Old 07-15-2005, 09:21 AM
T_Moss
Senior User
I haven't put them on yet. I ordered them a week ago. They were 179.00 a piece for the 285/70/17. My buddy bought them about a month ago. So I asked him to put them through the ringer for me, good excuse to hit the trails. They were a very quiet tire for a mud. Felt really good on the assphault. The Tread compound is about like the BFG muds, alot harder than the Goodyears, I hope this means I can get 35-40K out of them.

Took my SD and his 150 to the same mud hole and my current tires (315/75/16 buckshot mudders) came out caked his were half cleaned. Alot of clay in this area of Texas. They are very simular to the BFG's in my opinion. My new F150 comes in this week and I am putting the Coop's on some 17X9's.

he has the 3.73 in his and He didn't complain at all but we never touched base on the topic. My truck is also going to have the 3.73LS unit on it.

Last edited by T_Moss; 07-15-2005 at 09:24 AM.