2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STX cruise control & FX4 cluster help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:16 AM
s4-916
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up STX cruise control & FX4 cluster help please

Hi,
I installed the FX4 cluster and the steering wheel w/ cruise control, no problems.

But my dealer tried and has no idea how to program the computer to make everything work. Does anyone have any specific info that I can give to the dealer to make it happen please?

I did search both F150 forums and found nothing specific.
Thanks in advance.

Oh, I forgot. On the FX4 instrument cluster there's a digital line above the odometer and right now it reads -----degF. Is this water temp or outside air temp? Of course I don't have the outside air temp wiring if that's what it is.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:21 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To put it simply, find a dealership that is in this century, not 1980. Or talk them into calling the Hotline. This is a service of Ford. The place where I had my work done, the first thing they ran into was that they didn't know the truck was drive by wire. Major Ford shop, BIG city. But they were game. I brought it in on a slow morning, a Saturday, and they called the hot line. Total time to turn on the Cruise control, was about 20-30 minutes, including the phone call, and a quick test.
They were very proud of themselves, but admitted it was no work at all.
The invoice tells me it was done in the 'quick service department'
If you private message me, I will give you the technicians name, and the shops phone number. It's in Southern California, so you or your shop can give him a call.

On the cluster, I went to another shop, and they had done it before. They were rude, etc. but it works so what the heck.
The temp and compass, use senders I don't have, just disappeared, so it looks the same as the stock one looked.

The bad news is that many Ford dealerships are not well managed. The local shop, where I first tried, told me that I would have to put a Servo under the hood to pull the throttle cable, etc. to make the cruise work. I tried to explain that the truck was drive by wire. The parts department could order the cruise, 162 bucks, and the parts guy knew how it worked. We talked about it in a technical sense, but he was not allowed to talk to the service people...
And the head mechanic there hates electronics, computers, etc. So they can't do that sort of work, thus I had to drive 50 miles each way to have it done. Worth it, the other shops are much better informed, nicer, etc.
Chris

Old 06-27-2005, 12:43 PM
s4-916
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chris,
I tried to p.m. you but it's giving me an error message that I've sent a web link, which I hadn't. Can't get it to stop doing that. So please p.m. me with the contact info for the shops that did your work, if you would.

I'm in San Diego so if the shops are around here, that would be great!

Thanks for your time.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:55 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With all the dealerships in the SD area, I think I would sit down and make a few calls. If they don't know what you are talking about, mention the hotline (sometimes the shop guys call it dial a prayer).
Galpin Ford in the Valley does this kind of work, as does Citrus Ford in Ontario, right off the 15.

Worse case you can go to either of those places. Galpin does it fairly often, but they are terrible about being able to contact their service writers. The sevice writers at Citrus are nice, but mostly clueless. Not stupid, just young, female, etc. not car people.
If you don't get a guy/gal with a clue, at any shop, try calling back in two minutes, and getting someone else.
Chris