Notices

Wut is wrong with armor all?

Old 10-09-2005, 08:26 PM
frdtruc1
Senior User
frdtruc1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too heard that one should never use armour all on tires but I ignored it and have never had a problem. I also use it regularly on the seats of my boat that really get the direct rays of the sun for hours at a time......no problem in all the years I have owned this boat. However, I see the majority of the replies tend to favor not using it on tires. I might rethink this afterall.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:46 PM
DJones71
Junior User
DJones71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've used it for years and never had a problem (on the tires). I wouldn't use it on pedals, seating surface ie where your butt makes contact with the seat, steering wheel, anything leather or any kind of soft top. All of these come from experience. Almost ruined my jeeps soft top and bra and almost killed myself when my foot slipped off the brake pedal.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Jebadiah04
Posting Guru
Jebadiah04 has a good reputation on FTE.Jebadiah04 has a good reputation on FTE.Jebadiah04 has a good reputation on FTE.
i put baby oil on my rigs, makes them shine up and gives them some moisture....

but i only do it occasionally cuz its greasy

Old 10-14-2005, 12:18 AM
soakley
New User
soakley is starting off with a positive reputation.
I love the handy wipes that armor all has. I keep a bottle in every vehicle I have. I've found the handy for quick cleanings. You never know who is going to ride in your truck!!

Old 10-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Machman
Senior User
Machman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been using armor all on my vehicles for quite a while now and I just noticed the small cracks on my F150 tires. I like the clean tire look as opposed to the loud bling bling shine favored by some of the local undesirables. I will have to keep my eye on the wifes van to see if it does it to that. If I see cracks, I will definately have to switch. I used it on the seat of my ninja ONCE. It did look good, but it made for quite an interesting ride...

Old 07-09-2006, 11:15 PM
fordguy101
Senior User
fordguy101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Machman
I have been using armor all on my vehicles for quite a while now and I just noticed the small cracks on my F150 tires. I like the clean tire look as opposed to the loud bling bling shine favored by some of the local undesirables. I will have to keep my eye on the wifes van to see if it does it to that. If I see cracks, I will definately have to switch. I used it on the seat of my ninja ONCE. It did look good, but it made for quite an interesting ride...
You must have really old tires because Armor all has been proven not to crack surfaces.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:00 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
RomerB2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow.. talk about a grave digger..

Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 AM
pfogle
Post Fiend
pfogle has a very good reputation on FTE.pfogle has a very good reputation on FTE.pfogle has a very good reputation on FTE.pfogle has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have to say that the Armor All "rep" for cracking dashes came because of bad materials. The quasi-vinyl that was used in the '80s would crack after you applied it because of the application. It doesn't take much to crack dried out plastics.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Dr. Detail
Junior User
Dr. Detail is starting off with a positive reputation.
RL_F150 mentioned about all the info I have on Armour All except that I have a copy or a news article reporting a lawsuit involving one of their chemists who "absconded" with 25 of their test tires which he claimed proved the cracking issue. That's from memory so don't quote me on what the article said. I never found an follow-up with a resolution. Wonder what happened to the chemist?

I have a cracked dash at home from when I was using Armour All. I have some cracked tires too. Since I switched to Meguiars I've never seen another crack. They formulate with Anti-Ozonates and recently found one that doesn't turn brown when it ages. Try the Endurance products (one natural and one glossy looking) or their Mirror Glaze (professional) M38 (great for trim too).

The traditional Meguiars product for tires and vinyls is their Mirror Glaze M40. I can't begin to tell you how many gallons I have sold to professional detailers. You can apply this to a tire and watch it soak in. If a conditioner doesn't penetrate it can't do the rubber any good. Why does Armour All feel slick and greasy? It sits on the surface without penetrating. If it doesn't penetrate, could it be drawing instead???

If you'd like to see the products visit my website.

Last edited by Dr. Detail; 07-10-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 PM
fordguy101
Senior User
fordguy101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Dr. Detail
RL_F150 mentioned about all the info I have on Armour All except that I have a copy or a news article reporting a lawsuit involving one of their chemists who "absconded" with 25 of their test tires which he claimed proved the cracking issue. That's from memory so don't quote me on what the article said. I never found an follow-up with a resolution. Wonder what happened to the chemist?

I have a cracked dash at home from when I was using Armour All. I have some cracked tires too. Since I switched to Meguiars I've never seen another crack. They formulate with Anti-Ozonates and recently found one that doesn't turn brown when it ages. Try the Endurance products (one natural and one glossy looking) or their Mirror Glaze (professional) M38 (great for trim too).

The traditional Meguiars product for tires and vinyls is their Mirror Glaze M40. I can't begin to tell you how many gallons I have sold to professional detailers. You can apply this to a tire and watch it soak in. If a conditioner doesn't penetrate it can't do the rubber any good. Why does Armour All feel slick and greasy? It sits on the surface without penetrating. If it doesn't penetrate, could it be drawing instead???

If you'd like to see the products visit my website.

Well Armor all now makes a proctectant gel that is sposed to be smooth. I want to try it and see if I like it better than the spray.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Beechkid
Beechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud of
It was back in the 70's when Armor all was frst introduced that it caused cracking of vinyl & rubber products. It seemed the materials were actually in good shape untill the consistant & repeated application was stopped, then in less than 6 months the material dissinigrated. I personally experienced this in my family's vehicles (3 dashes and complete seat interiors) and the County which I worked for at the time issued the product for routine maintenance on 10 fleet vehicles......same result. When claims were filed, Armor all did pay for new dashes in all my family's vehicles but not for the seats. by the end of the 70's, you had a hard time in even finding any Armor all products. Then in the 80's they did change their formula's but they never recovered from the previous customer experience, then the company was sold/merged in the early 2000's and they are using a one stop shopping concept to sell products...meaning you have to buy the entire line of the corporations products (for the most part) and very, very limited purchases of competitors products to remain having the ability to retain wholesale purchase capability.

In summary, I will not use Armor all products because of the past experience even though the product is sustantially different and secondly, I will not purchase any products from that corporation due to their selling/distribution practices.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Dr. Detail
Junior User
Dr. Detail is starting off with a positive reputation.
Beechkid
Thanx for the insight!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:09 PM
master_chris84
New User
master_chris84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ARMOR ALL HAS A TENDENCY TODAY TO KILL THE ORIGONAL DASH COLOR ITS EXTREME IT ALSO MAKES THE DASH CRACK UP NEXT IS THE SIDE WALLS ON THE TRUCK IT KILLS THEM AND i ONLY USED ARMORALL ONE TIME ON MY TRUCK AND IT BASICLY KILLED THE INTERIOR i WOULD HAVE PROBLEY BEEN BETTER TO USE A BAR OF SOAP AND SOME WATTER TO CLEAN IT BECAUSE THEIR WAS STILL A LOT OF DIRT LEFT AFTER i DID THE ENTIRE INTERIOR

Old 07-19-2006, 04:28 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. .

Old 07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
lascrew
Freshman User
lascrew is starting off with a positive reputation.
Another alternative, which I use, is Pledge.

I use the Orange scent with the dust-removal. I use it for my interior, but the real reason I purchased it was to use on my exterior "black" trim on the outside; wiper cowl, black trim around rear view mirrors and around the windows.

I found out about it off of another Ford forum.

It works great, and although it appears wet, it is dry almost immediately after application.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wut is wrong with armor all?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.