toneau and gas mileage - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

toneau and gas mileage

Old 06-23-2005, 12:39 AM
62 red truck
Senior User
62 red truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chris,just what is a scangauge? WHERE do you get them. thanks Larry

Old 06-23-2005, 12:52 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
ChrisAdams is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 62 red truck
Chris,just what is a scangauge? WHERE do you get them. thanks Larry
From www.Scangauge.com

Here is one in my truck, it's velcroed on below the ashtray/cupholder.

They are not pretty, but they are very useful.
They also read/clear codes.
You can swap it from one car to another, it just plugs into the OBDII port below the column.

If they would make a better looking unit, they could sell all they make.
Chris

Old 06-23-2005, 09:16 AM
GOP
Junior User
GOP is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chris, so what driving adjustments have you made according to the scangauge to get better MPG? Are you just coasting more and laying off the gas? Thanks

Mike

Old 06-23-2005, 11:10 AM
bobri
Freshman User
bobri is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chris: the scangauge looks good and appears very useful with its assortment of information. Being able to move it from car to car is also a nice feature...Not to mention the price...reasonable..Thanks for the info..

Old 06-23-2005, 11:17 AM
fx4me
Freshman User
fx4me is starting off with a positive reputation.
i put a snugtop lid on mine 2 months ago. in 2 full tanks of gas, i have noticed about a 1mpg decrease. it does ride a bit smoother, and i like the locking capability. it's still $55-60 to fill up.

but this is mixed driving. i haven't gone on a long trip yet.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GOP
Chris, so what driving adjustments have you made according to the scangauge to get better MPG? Are you just coasting more and laying off the gas? Thanks

Mike
Good question, but hard to explain in a forum. If we were riding around in my truck it would be easy. The vacuum gauge does kind of the same thing, but not as well. What you do is keep an eye on the truck, listing to the engine, feeling the way it accelerates etc. and notice the miles per gallon you are getting at that moment.
After awhile, you notice when you are using too much throttle, for no or very little gain. Example, when I drive away from my house I go up a long very slow grade. There is a 35 mph speed limit and five stop signs in two miles.
Go up it without paying any attention to the instant mileage, and you get 12-13 mpg for the two miles. Turn around and drive back, again not looking at the Scangauge and get 13-14 mpg. Now watch the gauge and you can see that when you accelerate you use just a little more gas than needed.
Another way to put it, you are running the mix slightly richer as you are lugging the truck as you accelerate.
Remember, these trucks are very high geared, and you lug them a lot at partial throttle, especially after 30 when the torque converter locks, making it effectively like a stick shift in gear.
When you are lugging, you get lousy mileage. The difference between accelerating smoothly up and lugging it up is almost no difference in acceleration, and yet a huge difference in gas usage.

Think of it as using the exact amount of power to swing an axe, as opposed to flailing at the wood, using too much power to chop the wood. The wood may be chopped in one less stroke, but your arms are going to be tired before they should be.

When you know exactly where the best mileage is when driving, it is like riding the crest of a wave, holding right at the top of the curve, not over the amount needed, not below the amount needed.

Driving that same road using the feedback from a gauge, you can use just a tiny bit less throttle and get much better mileage going up the long grade, then coming back down the very slight grade you will find that you are giving it throttle far more than needed, and also giving it gas when you should be off the throttle.

Notice, you are not just creeping up like a granny, or driving real slow. There is a ‘sweet spot’ under acceleration and at cruise where you are making decent mileage for decent acceleration. Learning it takes some kind of feedback.
In an old car, which was not so precise anyway, you could hear the small changes in the motor. These trucks have far too good sound proofing, and are too tall geared for the old ‘ear gauge’.
This is hard to explain, so I hope someone else knows a better way to tell it.
Chris

Old 06-23-2005, 01:46 PM
chris h
Freshman User
chris h is starting off with a positive reputation.
With regard to the cover, I have a Pace Edwards-electric model. My purpose for installing was not for mileage but for bed coverage.

My MPG as compared to some posted on threads is on the lower end of the scale. I get on average 14 - 18 and this is with minimal town driving. Change in MPG with the cover is negligible. Although i can feel a difference in ride quality with it open vs. closed.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:05 PM
timhood
Senior User
timhood is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hear ya

Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
They are not pretty, but they are very useful.

If they would make a better looking unit, they could sell all they make.
My thoughts exactly. I looked at that thing and thought, "where would I hide that ugly thing in my truck?" My next thought was, "I wonder if there's another company that makes something like this that looks nicer?" At least something newer than the '70's!

They ought to let Apple redesign it for them!

Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 PM
GOP
Junior User
GOP is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Chris, as always good info.

Im gonna have to try this with my 5.4, the best I have been able to do was just over 20, but this was nearly all freeway going 65

Old 06-23-2005, 11:22 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GOP
Thanks Chris, as always good info.

Im gonna have to try this with my 5.4, the best I have been able to do was just over 20, but this was nearly all freeway going 65
Thanks, but just over twenty is not too shabby. I wouldn't expect much more. Either you have one of the trucks that just gets better mileage, or you are doing something very right.
Chris.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Col. Gilliam
New User
Col. Gilliam is starting off with a positive reputation.
Howdy,

I installed a ARE LS II cover on my FX4, SCAB, 3.73, 5.4 L with a 5.5' bed about 10 months ago.

I find no measurable change in mileage for mixed town and hwy driving.

However, for pure hwy driving (like trips or commuting back and forth on hwy) I noticed between 0.75 and 1.0 mpg increase - Not very much, but something.

I really don't feel like the added weight hurts at all. I mean, how much mileage difference do you notice with one passenger v.s. two or none??? Thats a much bigger weight difference. These are heavy, big 4x4 trucks with powerful motors. An extra 100 lbs is a very small percent increase in weight.

I bought my cover to use the bed of the truck like a giant trunk for my work equipment and other items. I absolutely love it for that use!!

Old 06-29-2005, 12:47 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Col. Gilliam
Howdy,

I installed a ARE LS II cover on my FX4, SCAB, 3.73, 5.4 L with a 5.5' bed about 10 months ago.

I find no measurable change in mileage for mixed town and hwy driving.

However, for pure hwy driving (like trips or commuting back and forth on hwy) I noticed between 0.75 and 1.0 mpg increase - Not very much, but something.

I really don't feel like the added weight hurts at all. I mean, how much mileage difference do you notice with one passenger v.s. two or none??? Thats a much bigger weight difference. These are heavy, big 4x4 trucks with powerful motors. An extra 100 lbs is a very small percent increase in weight.

I bought my cover to use the bed of the truck like a giant trunk for my work equipment and other items. I absolutely love it for that use!!
I have to agree, your results seem to match mine.
On my lighter truck (2 wheel, reg cab, light weight tonneau) my results are slightly better than yours, but very similar.
As to using it as a big trunk, yeah, that is worth more than the 1 mpg.
With my Fold cover I have two trunks, that is, I use both the front and back as separate trunks. Best part of a tonneau.
Chris

Old 06-29-2005, 06:54 PM
navioasis
Junior User
navioasis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
I posted my test results awhile back, but it was on the order of .5 mpg at 70. Adds up after awhile. You will not see any real difference around town. If there is any improvment, it's too small to measure.
Faster better for tonneau, unlike everything else...

My truck has a 4.6, Reg cab, with Brute Force intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Superchips tuner. Fold-a-cover tonneau, and about 200lbs worth of junk I have added to it since new (power seats, windows, locks, backup camera, heavier wheels/tires, etc. etc. etc.)

My best is over 24 on the road at the freeway speed limit. 22 is normal if I don't pass too many cars on the open road.
Around town all my mods work against me, and I have been averaging about 14.8-15.4.
That said, with my Superchips on Premium setting, and with a few new additions to my truck, I managed to get it down to 13.9 for this week. That's all local, and all fun driving. Very fun driving.
Chris
Chris, what about adding some headers?

Old 06-29-2005, 06:58 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by navioasis
Chris, what about adding some headers?
I live in California. Or they would be under there, if for no other reason than how cool they look.
Chris

Oh, and as a Post Script, I found my notes on mileage. The tonneau gives me .7 at 55, and .9 better at 70, sorry about any confusion.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Ruckus is starting off with a positive reputation.
skiingf150, You might want to consider the Undercover. I like the looks of it and at 58# it could be easy to handle off and on. Good Luck!