Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Anybody Wanna Come Over to Help Me Work on a Truck Project This Weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Anybody Wanna Come Over to Help Me Work on a Truck Project This Weekend?

I'm thinking this Saturday I'm gonna remove and repair the A/C and heater blower motor on my 1978 F150. At the same time I need to clean(replace?) the evaporator coil. And I'm thinking of putting an R134 retrofit kit in. I don't have the kit yet and I've never taken the heater/a/c box apart before so this will be a learning experience for me. Drinks and lunch will be provided if any body wants to come by. And if you don't want to get dirty yer still welcome to come by and just shoot the breeze and talk about Ford Trucks and what not.

If ya wanna come by to give me a hand or advice, that would be appreciated. Everybodies welcome. I'm up in Owasso.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Hey Ron... I would be more than happy to help you. I have a little bit of experience with AC systems since I replaced pretty much all of mine last summer... I think I have a pretty good hold on it.

Give me a call tomorrow if you think about it... and if I don't hear from you, I'll try to call you tomorrow night. The only problem is that I, as always... work until 4:30PM on sat... and it just-so-happens that there is a b-day party to go too (though I might could skip... it's all the way in Chelsea anyways).

STan

Old 06-18-2005, 03:24 PM
1978fordtruckgirl
Senior User
Well, it's 3:20 pm and I'm just now reading the post, so I don't think I'm gonna make it. Wouldn't have been much help anyway. Guess I could've held the baby all day and gave Mom a break! I'll try to read the posts more often. Have fun.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:21 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Wow. This is definitely not a two hour job. I started about 9:30am and stopped for the day at about 5pm. I got frustrated and the sun beating down on me all day just wore me out. I plan to get it all put back together tomorrow afternoon and cross my fingers for the a/c to work.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
hehe... sorry for dropping your call earlier... stupid hunk-of-junk cell phone is on the fritz. Then I didn't get your message until 20 min. ago... sorry man.

Anyways, I'll have my cell (provided it is working) on me tomorrow at work... if you run into a bind, give me a call and I'll see if I can help.

Later,
STan

Old 06-19-2005, 08:58 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
No biggie, Stan. I got everything buttoned back up and now I have a working blower motor.(Though only 3 speeds. Is that normal, even though I feel four switch click settings?) The a/c didn't blow cold. I figure it's time to just break down and do the R-134 conversion even tho R-12 equivelants are supposed to be colder.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
No biggie, Stan. I got everything buttoned back up and now I have a working blower motor.(Though only 3 speeds. Is that normal, even though I feel four switch click settings?) The a/c didn't blow cold. I figure it's time to just break down and do the R-134 conversion even tho R-12 equivelants are supposed to be colder.
Are there four actual settings+off, or three fan settings+off? (I know, stupid question... but hey, you never know )

As for the 134a conversion... I think I have one of those kits at home, if I can find it, it's yours if you one it. (thinking of where it is... )

STan

P.S. Once again, sorry I couldn't make it out to help.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:19 AM
ranger240
Elder User
4 clicks in the switch...high/med/low/off?

glad to hear you got it all back together. you should pick up the latest classic trucks magazine and check out what they have in their build ups in the a/c area....keep your stock controls and have it work with the newest of the aftermarket HVAC units.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:16 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thanks Stan. I'm interested in that kit if ya still got it.

The switch on the left side of the panel reads from bottom to top: LOW, Dot, Dot, High. The switch 'clicks' into each of those four spots. With the switch all the way down it sits in a low speed, then the first Dot puts it into medium flow, and the top Dot gives max flow. The top click at High does not change the speed. Ya, if I had extra $$ I might be tempted to update the system. For now, I'll just keep the old parts on there and keep them charged and running.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:06 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those fan switches go both ways, my 76 with a/c has low dot dot high, my 78 with no a/c has off dot dot high.....yours should turn off with the lever that changes from vent to a/c to heat etc.......