1998 Ford Explorer Sport - Radio Display not displaying?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:30 AM
JKrisch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Ford Explorer Sport - Radio Display not displaying?

Ok, I am new to this forum and sorry to come on and start asking for help right away.

Either way, I am dealing with the stock CD/Cass Stereo in a 98 Explorer Sport. The radio works just fine, however the display for CD Track, Time, Radio Station etc.. does not work at all. Is this a fuse? Loose wire? Need some soldering? If anyone can give me any idea on how to fix that I would really appreciate it. Also, are the removal keys required to pull the stereo? Or is there another way?

Thanks a lot
Jason

Old 06-18-2005, 08:30 AM
gtbeast
New User
http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/

try this web site and you should be fine

Old 06-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Wood in Virginia
Freshman User
Lightbulb

Don't pay theem people $20. The radio manufacturer used cold Solder instead of Hot Solder when putting the radio together.

Have you noticed that the Radio works fine on a COLD (less than 32 degree day) yet when it warms up it fails to work or only shows a partial display?

There are people here that have fixed their radio's by resoldering by using Hot solder. If your unsure consult an Electronics expert.

Ford should have issued a recall for this but because they had just spent billions of dollars recalling tires , they didn't want to spend millions more fixing radio's. The problem was Millions of use owners of 98- 2002 trucks have had this problem, especially those of us living in warming climates!

If you bought the extended warranty...they would have just swapped out radios.. but more than likely you would still have the problem with your 'new' radio.

Do a search on MSN or Google about this problem...you should be able to solve it w/o paying a dime for into.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Wood in Virginia
Freshman User
Another thing...Ford charges $$$ for the special part used to pull the radio... but go around to the garage of most Best Buy's & a tech will pull a Ford radio for $5. Which is cheaper than the part FordMoCo will try to sell you..Some people claim they can make the tool with coat hangers..

Old 06-19-2005, 09:40 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Wood in Virginia and JKrisch, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:49 PM
BobT55
New User
Arrow Fixed Mine

I fixed the radio display on my 98 Mountaineer premium sound radio about six months ago and it's working great. I went over a year before attempting to fix it and I feel great everytime I get in and see it lit up!

I documented my procedures, converted it to a PDF, and put it up (at least temporarily) on a web site. Feel free to download, use, and ask questions!

Old 07-02-2005, 10:21 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
I paid the fee

I paid the 20.00 for the secret fix and it's the exact fix that BOB55 has in hs PDF file! His is a super job abd great detail!! SUper Job!!

Old 07-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Wood in Virginia
Freshman User
Very nice of the community to help with this common problem. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:02 PM
barryg
New User
Radio Display

Originally Posted by BobT55
I fixed the radio display on my 98 Mountaineer premium sound radio about six months ago and it's working great. I went over a year before attempting to fix it and I feel great everytime I get in and see it lit up!

I documented my procedures, converted it to a PDF, and put it up (at least temporarily) on a web site. Feel free to download, use, and ask questions!
BobT55,
My Radio display in my 1990 F150 XLT/Lariat is blank, rchecked all fuses, replaced stero, still same. Was looking for your PDF but alas, can not find.
can you Help me ?

Barry

Old 09-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Wood in Virginia
Freshman User
BarryG the link in BobT55 message it is working fine & redownloaded it today 09/16/2005. If you can't do it there is something WRONG with your computer;(or you have blocking software on that won't let another window
open).Either cut off the blocking software or Suggest you then go to your nearest public Library & Log in here to get the info you need. Good Luck.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Wood in Virginia
Freshman User
Another thing BarryG his fix is for Electronic Dash radios from 1996-2000
that were OEM with the CD, Clock,Radio details in the display all in one
5 in display across the radio. If your radio doesn't look like this then this fix may not work for you.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:53 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
I agree

That's corect Wood, in the types you mentioned it's the bad soder on the board in the rear of the radio..

Old 09-18-2005, 05:59 PM
DALE-MAC
New User
Bob,
i used your web site a few days ago, now i see it here. thanks for all the info it fixed the wifes "rainy day car"

Old 10-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Michael013
Senior User
This problem dates way back to the cheap soldered radios in Ford's 1983 and on models also. Resoldering worked then and continues to work now. I notice each year more places offer to fix this problem, But I still have not seen a place called FORD offer a fix . Guess we have to wait another 20 years or maybe Ford thinks we just enjoy the challenge of fixing it ourselves

Old 10-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Wood in Virginia
Freshman User
Actually I am beginning to think that this is NOT a Ford problem, but a Visteon created problem for
FORD. Visteon has been one of the suppliers of the radios in Fords ever since Philco Ford went out of business.
Without naming them directly could it be possible that FORD did not respond to the problem because Visteon supplied Ford with radios with the 'Ford name' on them? I see recently Visteon got out of supplying Ford with some other parts . Ford took over 23 of Visteon plants some of which are in China and Mexico. Visteon is a publically traded company.

Be careful of whom you blame for the problem & the solution. Why is it no one started a class action lawsuit against Ford re: this problem if it affected thousands of drivers? I am sure there are plenty of smart lawyers out here who can multiply by 10,000. Probably because they found out the supplier of the part (radios) was NOT Ford !

Capiche...

Last edited by Wood in Virginia; 10-06-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 1998 Ford Explorer Sport - Radio Display not displaying?