Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric-hydraulic power steering?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
Last Chance 56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I work for Raymond which builds electric forklifts for narrow aisle warehousing. I have been with the equipment for over 15 years and have seen the technology start from electro-hydraulic steering to DC electric steerin to AC eletric steering.

The technology has gotten to the point where a vehicle manager is required to recieve signals (usally 5V give or take) and process those sigs and conduct what the operator is requesting.

With AC technology becoming a standard in the industry the parts are getting smaller and less of them, easier to change, more durable and efficient. As for one trying to adapt this technology to a classic truck well it can be done and soon it will be. One of these wiz kids will figure it out at a cost effective rate. Right to support the parts and cost of them is just to high and looking in the scrap yards for something that has the potential to steer when it wants to and where it wants just because of a weak cell in the battery or a small short in a rubbing harness it some thing think about. So after the basic install and operation is fiqured out, the failsafes need to be in place which means more sensors, pots, relays, and wiring. Oh and bring the laptop with applicable software to learn the unit and also for troubleshooting. I use a laptop and a grease gun everyday hardly any wrenches anymore.