Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric-hydraulic power steering?

Old 06-16-2005, 01:08 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:31 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Another thought on 12v hydraulic motors...
Look at the power trim set ups for marine applications. They are small and compact

Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
yet another thought.......I know, I know, this is alot of thinking for me in one day.

The drawback to adapting a power trim motor, lowriders hydraulic motor, dump bed motor, etc, etc, etc is that these motors are generally not ran for more than a few minutes at a time and might not be able to hold up to the strain running constantly for hours at a time.
I just recieved the new Street Rodder and Rod & Custom, I'll have to look through them and see if I can find the article that AX mentioned

I think I'm done thinking now
Bobby

Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Most std hydraulic pumps can't put out the pressures needed for PS.
That electric unit looked interesting until I saw the price! For 650.00 I could hire a local bodybuilder to drive me around, tell him it's "good training"!

The thing I saw was one of the items on the "new products" page near the front of the mag before the articles.

Last edited by AXracer; 06-16-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster
Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey, guys! We're cooking now!

That Vauxhall ($650) was the only one I saw before. A little too pricy to consider. AND, I think that's a remanufactured unit! Go figure.

AX - Yes, please tell me about the mag ad when you can.

I know the psi requirements are high. 2000 psi doesn't surprise me. I was thinking tho that the pump rpm requirements wouldn't be more than 100 rpm, so a gear reduced drive on a 12V 1/4 hp motor doing 10k might be the answer. True, constant use could prove a problem.

Bobby - Thanks for the electric steering info. That's two more sources than I found before. I'll study those - thanks! BTW, I know all about that "cranial rectal inversion" thing. This whole idea may be a product of that process...

Old 06-16-2005, 03:18 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
The Hyd pumps used for power steering a Variable speed/constant pressure.
That way you have steering no matter how fast the engine is turning.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster
Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.
Dick - Do you have an idea of what the min speed requirement for the pump is? I was thinking 800-1000 rpm (idle).

Old 06-16-2005, 06:01 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Idle speed is not the pump speed, ya got to do all those pully size calculations.
Before all this emmissions crap the engines idled a lot lower and the power steering worked sitting still at idle.
When we were working on the Front Suspension Tech Article I was looking for information about PS operating requirements, such as pressure, volumn etc. Not a whole lot available. I wen't to a dealer and tried to talk about the specs, as soon as they found out I was gathering info for a bunch of "Cootie Bobbers" they started talking liability and then shut up.

I guess if were going to persue the Electro/hyd. theory further we need to see if we can find info on the pumps/vehicles that are using them now, and see how they stack up with what we can imagineer/afford.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
... I'm just the kind of person who likes the idea of always having steering and brakes, even if the engine quits. ...
Henry included that feature in the original truck. Stop on by and I'll show you how it works.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:33 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster
Very funny, George.

And, I would love to stop by. In fact, I'm going to be in Ohio the week of the 4th of July, in Columbus and in the Richfield area (near Akron) visiting the in-laws. Are you anywhere close to those places?

Last edited by Randy Jack; 06-16-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:27 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
We'll be racing in Toledo 1st weekend in Aug.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Very funny, George.
And, I would love to stop by. In fact, I'm going to be in Ohio the week of the 4th of July, in Columbus and in the Richfield area (near Akron) visiting the in-laws. Are you anywhere close to those places?
I'm about an hour and a half southwest of Columbus, halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati. You are always welcome, unless I'm in Illinois at Kevin's.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:15 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
something to consider. My dughter-in-law is a quadraplegic, with just enough arm and hand motion to drive a vehicle with a custom drive-by-wire steering system, like this one from <a href="http://freedomwheels.com/driving.html">Freedom Wheels</a>. This uses a special steering rack in the Dodge Caravan, and also has a backup electric power steering pump.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:19 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Below is an earlier post that I made, I now believe that my Alligator Mouth Overloaded My Hummingbird Butt.

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
The Hyd pumps used for power steering were a Variable speed/constant pressure type.
That way you have steering no matter how fast the engine is turning.
In doing some research on the Electro/hydro steering systems used on the newer cars, it appears as if they use an Electric Control Module hooked into the vehicles computre to control the electric motor speed as well as pressure, this gives higher pressure at lower speeds as well as reduces the electrical load when going straight and at higher speed when not as much force is required to turn the wheels.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:48 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
From the poking around I did on the internet yesterday it seems that GM was designing a electric-hydraulic system for the 1998 Fieros and had the system operational when they decided to pull the plug on the Fieros. It looks like the technology is there for both electric-hyrdro as well and full electric.

I guess the key to this discussion is to find an feasible and affordable option that can be adapted to our trucks (that can pretty much be said for any part we use)
Ahh, the freedom of the darkside

Bobby

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric-hydraulic power steering?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.