1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

HELP! I need to replace the rotor on a 4x4.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-1999, 09:41 AM
Phil
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-05-1999, 03:23 PM
Mark H.

I have a new rotor and need to install it on my '85 F-150 4x4, I pulled the locking hub off, and the caliper, but now there is a nut (I think it is a nut) with four groves in it that holds the rotor and hub on, it is not hex shaped for a wrench, my shopmanual just says " place truck on jack stands, remove lug nuts, remove wheel, remove caliper, and remove rotor" so it isn't ANY help. Please, if you think you know what I am talking about tell me how to get this thing off.
Thanks,
Mark

Old 11-05-1999, 06:38 PM
Chris Custer

Go to Auto Zone or just about any auto store and buy the special socket. It will have four tabs on it. The cost is 10 to 12 dollars.
Chris

Old 11-05-1999, 11:29 PM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these are the wheel bearing nuts you are seeing. get your socket as the above post says. then remove the outer nut then a spacer with holes in it then the inner nut, then you can remove the rotor. be sure to put the inner nut back on first. it has a little pin sticking off of it. thats what the holes are for in the spacer .it keeps the inner nut from backing off. then tighten the outer nut. you can flip the spacer with the holes in to fine tune your bearing adjustment.

Old 11-06-1999, 05:48 PM
Mark H.

Thanks

Old 11-09-1999, 10:28 PM
Phil
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why spend the extra money if you dont have to? Take a brass drift or a dull chisel and hit the corners of the nut....it will loosen up quick enough.....worked in the army on the douche and a halves and it works on my 4x4's with minimal damage to the nut.....