Won't keep time

Old 06-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Firewolfs79F350
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't keep time

I have a 460 out of a 76 Lincoln. I just put it into my F350. Problem is it keeps jumping time. I know how to set time and did it perfectly. 14'BTDC. Well it dies after driving it for a while and wont restart. So I check the time and it's always out. Just this morning I had to pull the distributor and move it back 2 clicks. After I did this it fired right up and I drove the rest of the way to work. I know this sounds impossible but I has happened twice. I put a new timing chain and gears on before thisand I know I did that right.
The only thing I can think of is that my distributor is bad.
I guess what my question is has this ever happened to anyone else or am I crazy?

Old 06-15-2005, 02:45 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
one remote possibility is that the dist gear is either badly worn, or the roll pin that holds it has sheared, and it's slipping on the shaft, that should be easy to check pull dist, and look at it. while you have it out check that the shaft spins freely in the housing if hte bushings are trying to lock up it could force the dist to turn even with the lock nut tight (that will also show that it's slipping on the base at the hold down.)

Old 06-15-2005, 09:31 AM
greenhighboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pin that holds the star in time could also be sheared. I have had this happen too. Remove the star by prying it up on two sides at the same time with a couple big screwdrivers.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Firewolfs79F350
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I actually pulled the dizzy the othre day and after a carefull exam I noticed the shear pin wan ......well sheared. The odd part is that it wasn't slipping all the time. I picked up a spare and put on a new vacuum advance and she was good for the weekend. Thanks again

Search this Thread