Alaska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Goin' Fishin'

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 11:42 AM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goin' Fishin'

Well seeing how the Denali trip was cancelled, I decided to head for Homer for a little Butt . Rolling south about 3 or 4 this afternoon. Maybe I'll bump into a fellow FTE while down there?? I'll stick a invation in the window to identify myself. But if I should get blown off, well there's always the 'Dawg . Hope all of you are having and will have a safe and happy Memorial Day -Chris

Old 05-31-2005, 05:16 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Good luck with the butt. We made it up to Fairbanks for a few days and will be going back Wed. Sure is nice up here. Different environment. I can actually see somewhat of a horizion and clouds. Ah the little things you notice. I am going to drop Wes a line and try to start a thread for a meet later this summer. Silver,halibut and other activities in Valdez is what we talked about but we also need to see if there are other ideas out there. If you catch a wolf-eel take a picture. Gosh those are some ugly things. Have a safe trip back.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:01 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Let me know the next time you go fishing in Valdez. I have a spare bedroom and a TT if you need a place to stay.

PS I just check my roster and ooppsss. I now have you on it. Sorry. Let me know if you would like a current copy

Old 06-17-2005, 11:28 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Hi Mike, I had to do some cleaning; polish the hood, oven, ect. Beats doing it on the night before I go home. I tried to get on to live chat but all I got was a blank box, and then information below it. I didn't throw "naughty flags" but it looks like I can't do the chat while here at work. The 20th meeting is out, but I should be able to make the 22nd.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:42 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Chat Room

Originally Posted by WilliesSD250
Hi Mike, I had to do some cleaning; polish the hood, oven, ect. Beats doing it on the night before I go home. I tried to get on to live chat but all I got was a blank box, and then information below it. I didn't throw "naughty flags" but it looks like I can't do the chat while here at work. The 20th meeting is out, but I should be able to make the 22nd.
Try the chat again. In the blank box below the bigger black box type in "Test" and hit enter. If it shows it in the black box then it works. For some people it dose not show when you are logged on. Dont know why but give it a try. It should work.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:06 AM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mlb4966
Let me know the next time you go fishing in Valdez. I have a spare bedroom and a TT if you need a place to stay.

PS I just check my roster and ooppsss. I now have you on it. Sorry. Let me know if you would like a current copy
Thanks for the offer. I've never been to Valdez. I might take you up on the offer. Same goes here for you too ( or any other mbr/fte. Got space to park a TT or 5er, (bout 14 wide by 50 deep, just have to BACK in). But also have two spare br's. I'm very convient to the Glenn, Old Glenn (it runs by my house) and basically DT Palmer.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:45 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by WilliesSD250
Thanks for the offer. I've never been to Valdez. I might take you up on the offer. Same goes here for you too ( or any other mbr/fte. Got space to park a TT or 5er, (bout 14 wide by 50 deep, just have to BACK in). But also have two spare br's. I'm very convient to the Glenn, Old Glenn (it runs by my house) and basically DT Palmer.
Yep I have the space. I also have power that runs down my fence. I would wait until Aug. Thats when the silvers are in unless you like to fish for pinks. There are alot of halibut charters out of here also but I dont know what the going charge is. When the silvers are running thick sometimes you dont even need a rod, they just jump into your boat or on the fingers of the harbor... Invision: Sitting in your boat, enjoying the view and sun then WHAM hit in head by a 18-lb fish. At least can be enjoyed on the BBQ.

I posted a dinner meet-greet in the AK Forum. Let me know if you will be available.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:42 PM
GaryT
Junior User
Never been that lucky to have silver run into the boat. I give it try yesterday morning off the Big Su, at Sunshine Creek. The water level was about 1-2' above its banks. The kings were in there! You could see them rolling. It was tough to find enough space to cast a lure, without catching some of that brush on the shore line.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Yep when they are thick it pretty neat to go to the harbor and watch them jump. Land right on the floats and fingers. Man easy fishing. I dont do much fishing do to time and the fact that I commerical fish for years when I first came up here. I do go out with my sons but more for fun then anything else. What we catch we usually take home and smoke. This year I want to learn how to can/pressure cook so I might be fishing a little more than norm. I am also not a big fan of eating halibut, catching is another story. Spent 6 weeks out in the gulf long lining for black cod and all we caught was butt. Eat butt every day so I got kinda burnt out. Once in a while is ok. My wife loves it so I never turn it down. I am very glad we DO NOT have the combat fishing that I see down on the Kenai. It does not look that fun. Next summer I am going to try to make a more conserted effort to go lake fishing with the boys. This summer is pretty much a no-go. Gota get a small j-boat to make that happen plus dry suits for the young ones. They are just starting an new king run here so in 3-5 years we should have kings coming in. Time will tell.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:11 AM
DaveAK
Senior User
Reds are in the Russian and so are the people. Its combat fishing at its finest. You guys are missing it. :-)
Dave

Old 06-20-2005, 05:58 AM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by mlb4966
When the silvers are running thick sometimes you don't even need a rod, they just jump into your boat or on the fingers of the harbor...
I actually had that happen once. Summer before last me and a buddy were down there in Valdez in a 12' flat-bottom aluminum boat and a silver jumped right in. We caught more fish than the little boat could carry(along with us and our gear)and then the darn fish jumped in. I think he was trying to sink us. Just for the record a 12' flat-bottom boat isn't exactly what a guy needs for Valdez but we used what we had. I have since upgraded to a 14' V so maybe we will be a little more stable this year. Only drawback is the sides are a little taller than the 12' one so I doubt any more silvers will be jumping in.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:03 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Looks like an early and strong pink return so far.