Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Engine help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:07 AM
BuckinBronc36
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine help

Hey guys, i have a 5.0 302 cid in my 1991 Bronco XLT and it just aint enough power. I'm looking at remanufactured 351's and everyone i've talked to swears by the old clevelands. All clevelands i found are carbureted and i have a fuel injection system. How do the two engines perform compared to each other? is there a way or how hard is it to convert to a carb engine from a fuel injected engine? and do yall think a 351 has enough hp to burnout and leave so rubber behind? thanks

Old 07-10-2005, 12:48 AM
70blue
Postmaster
A cleveland has a heck of alot of power as far as stock goes. I don't know about the adaptibility to fuel injection. Evil could probably tell you more about that. Clevelands are very difficult to find and very expensive. They only made them a couple years in the very early seventies. I know gwinnet county has emissions inspections. Used to be 10 year old vehicles were exempt. Don't know if they still are but if they are not exempt radical changes would give you problems with that. You could wake the engine you have up a little bit with a performance chip, cheaper and easier than about any other mod. Some broncoes came with the 351 windsor which would be a whole lot easier swap than the cleveland. I'm not sure if you would have to swap your computer and engine harness or not but I am gonna say there may likely be a difference in the computers or atleast chip. The cleveland is alot meaner than the windsor but the windsor would be more practical in your application imo. I am no expert on this by any means and anyone who knows better than I do please speak up.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:50 PM
evilbeast
Elder User
if you have acess to a windsor, go for it, i wouldnt get the cleveland, as 70blue said, the clevelands are hard to get ahold of, and an even bigger pain in the *** to get parts for. if you want an example of what a 351 windsor can do, look at mine. mine is stroked out to 408, with an all aluminum top end, and is pushin 512 on the dyno. if you are wantin to swap from fuel injection to carb, you will need a new fuel pump, and depending on if you are going to swap electronic ignition, then the module from the driverside fender. the reason for this is because the fuel injection used pressures in exess of 25 psi, and a carb only needs less than 7, any higher than that you would cause flooding, and prolly blow out all of the needles, seats, and gaskets in the carb itself. feel free to send me a message, or email me for more info, would be happy to be of some assistance. once old87 gets the comp put back together, then he would be a leading auth on broncos, he also has a 351 in his, with a HUGE cam. must say that thing is a beast. email is demonicjoyride@yahoo.com, just let me know who you are in the subject, or ill delete it!! best of luck!!!!