The Workhorse Diesel Power Module... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

The Workhorse Diesel Power Module...

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 06-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Karewes
New User
Karewes is starting off with a positive reputation.

Has anyone tried this module or had any experience with it?
http://www.888luvdiesel.com/intro.html
They say it functions better than other diesel products because it doesn't add more fuel, just more power.

I would like to get a little more power out of my 99 F250 Powerstroke when pulling my 3 horse trailer loaded but don't have the kind of money to add for a chip, exhaust and gauges.

Thanks for your reponses!
Karen

Old 06-10-2005, 12:11 PM
superrangerman2002
Postmaster
superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.
Sorry, you simply cannot get more power with out the addition of more energy (fuel).

You may get a tad more power from a complete combustion burn, but stock fueling is already pretty efficient in terms of engine effeciency.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Karewes
New User
Karewes is starting off with a positive reputation.
That being the case, more power from energy (fuel), why do I hear so many people talk about how adding a chip seems give them better gas mileage?
Is that really possible?

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Max1775
Elder User
Max1775 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've no expaerience with this product, but more power without more fuel is possible. If you can increase engine efficiency (better timing and fuel delivery curves for example), you can get more fuel mileage and power. There claims of up to 80 HP is a little suspect in my opinion though...

Max

Old 06-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
Mark at DPPI is starting off with a positive reputation.
Karewres,

Run from that kind of advertising, you just can't do it without fuel. You can and lots of folks do get better MGP with a module or programmer because the changes aren't just by adding fuel. When you change timing and pulse width together you can increase MPG because you get a better BTU use of the fuel, a more complete burn overall. If you want to increase HP and potentially MPG give us a call, we will be glad to help you with questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 06-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Max1775
Elder User
Originally Posted by MarkDPP
Karewres,

Run from that kind of advertising, you just can't do it without fuel. You can and lots of folks do get better MGP with a module or programmer because the changes aren't just by adding fuel. When you change timing and pulse width together you can increase MPG because you get a better BTU use of the fuel, a more complete burn overall. If you want to increase HP and potentially MPG give us a call, we will be glad to help you with questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
I have seen products get better fuel mileage and increased horsepower at the same time, so I am swayed to believe that it is possible. There are other products like the Workhorse (Dr. Performance for example), that are capable of doing this without changing timing or pulse width (does not effect the ECU in any way). I am not saying that the Workhorse is not a complete scam, but hard to make an opinion without facts and actual real world testing.

Max

Old 06-14-2005, 12:11 PM
oppy
Posting Guru
oppy is starting off with a positive reputation.
First of all, Welcome to FTE Karen!

Second, I'm not familiar with the Workhorse product, but I think you'll find equal or better products from companies with a proven track record for far less than $695.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:29 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
arninetyes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Karen,

I for one, have never heard of this product. The sales pitch sounds a little too good to be true - and usually, if something sounds to good to be true, it is.

There will be other suggestions here that will use proven products to achieve proven results.

Until the "workhorse" gets a track record, I wouldn't trust my expensive Powerstroke engine to it.

Last edited by arninetyes; 06-14-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Max1775
Elder User
Originally Posted by arninetyes
Karen,

I for one, have never heard of this product. The sales pitch sounds a little too good to be true - and usually, if something sounds to good to be true, it is.

There will be other suggestions here that will use proven products to achieve proven results.

Until the "workhorse" gets a track record, I wouldn't trust my expensive Powerstroke engine to it.
I agree completely, especially if it actually costs that much! I would like to see some tests on this thing though. I'm going to call them and see if I can get a "loaner" for testing, or if they have any REAL dyno results, not just derived calculations.

Max

Old 06-14-2005, 12:44 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Oh, by the way, I LOVE how they say, "the workhorse is not a chip, it is a high tech microprossesor..." Guess what? No matter what they say, a chip is a chip. Even your computer is run by an Intel or IBM or AMD CHIP, in other words, a microprocessor.

In other words - these guys are trying to mislead us - all CHIPS on the market ARE microprocessors.

So far, in their description, I see that they are trying to lie by misdirection. that is NOT a good start.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:50 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Hey! They claim the Workhorse does its magic by increasing fuel injector pressure - isn't that what the $1.50 10k mod does?

Just asking...

I really wish I had $700 lying around so I could install it, put it through its paces - including a dyno run, then return it. ....assuming it didn't live up to the hype. I doubt it would.

And the reason I wouldn't do it is, regardless of their ironclad guaranty, I don't expect they will be too cooperative about returning my money.

Last edited by arninetyes; 06-14-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:33 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
The domain name of this company was created December 12, 2004. There isn't an online yellow-pages listing for this company which means its a new company. A reverse lookup of their phone number pulls up nothing.

Everything I see screams "fly by night", IMHO.

This looks like its an over-priced 10K mod or fuel box type of thing.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by webmaster
The domain name of this company was created December 12, 2004. There isn't an online yellow-pages listing for this company which means its a new company. A reverse lookup of their phone number pulls up nothing.

Everything I see screams "fly by night", IMHO.

This looks like its an over-priced 10K mod or fuel box type of thing.
Yes, screams.
Do the 10k mod, for less than $1.00 you'll get a little more power and a couple of miles per gallon. The trade off is a rough idle, but switches can be rigged up to disable it very easily when you need to.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Max1775
Elder User
Well, I called these guys and they weren't willing to do a "loaner" for testing although I explained to them that I operate an established truck performance company (with complete verification of course) and had several potential customers asking questions about their product, and I told him I would buy it if the module performed as advertised. He explained that I would have to buy it first, then return it before 60 days if not satisfied (no dealer price break unless you "buy-in" to the deal). They also have NO DYNO RESULTS! Needless to say, I don't think I'd waste the time or money...

Max

Old 06-14-2005, 04:36 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
You know, even on a severe budget, one can still get a very nice performance and fuel mileage boost out of the PSD.

kwik filter - about $70
Walker BTM muffler - less than $100 installed
10k resistor - $1.00

About $171 will give a very nice boost in power, driveability, fun, etc.

A pyrometer would still be recommended, but ask other people on this forum what happens to the exhaust gas temperatures with the 10k mod.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Workhorse Diesel Power Module...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.