1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'55 F100 rebuild engine kit?

Old 06-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Ceohunter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'55 F100 rebuild engine kit?

I'm trying to find out information on how to have my '55 engine rebuilt. Are there engine kits out there that do this? if so, can someone steer me in the right direction? thanks.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:08 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jegs, Summit, PAW, NAPA - most places sell various kits, from just gaskets to the full monty.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:17 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Also you might purchase one of the books written on the Y-blocks. I recall seeing at 2002 or 2003 Nationals a vendor who was selling an adaptor that would let you mate an AOD tranny to a Y-block. Now that would be a neat setup.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Homespun91
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceo,

If you have the original Y-block in it, try this thread by yours truly & others:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=377694

It will have some sources & options for you. As Dick mentioned, NAPA has Y-block parts as well. Summit, PAW, & Jegs can help with newer engines. If you have some specific questions, post tonight, or try the FTE Y-block forum, as there are some guys that post in there but not necessarily here. There are kits to adapt the C4, AOD, & T-5 transmissions, or you can use factory parts for the SROD or FMX with a little work.

Hope it helps, Mike

Old 06-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are a whole range of options depending on your budget, tools, and skills. I had my engine hot-tanked, checked for cracks (including the block, crank, and heads), and then completely remachined including decks, heads, crank journals, etc. etc. The engine shop bought all the internal parts new. The only internal parts we reused were the connecting rods, the rocker arm support posts, and a few sheet metal oil diverters in the valve train. That's the expensive option.

If you have some engine skills and want to do it yourself, have the engine hot tanked to clean it thoroughly. Then have the block, heads, and crank checked for cracks. At that point, the shop should be able to tell you if you need to rebore or hone your cylinders and/or have your crank remachined. They can also tell you what size pistons and bearings you'll need (0.010", 0.020" etc. oversize) depending on the amount of wear they find and what size they will be remachining the cylinders and bearings. You may also want hardened valve seats installed in your heads if you don't already have them. With the machining done, you can buy all the internal parts you need (valves, lifters, camshaft, etc.) from various vendors. Check out the list on Earl's World (http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Pa...dor_Links.html) and get some catalogs and/or look at their on-line listings. That is the least expensive way to do a complete overhaul.

There are a variety of in-between solutions depending on the condition of the block, heads, and internal components. You may want to do only the upper engine (heads, valve train, etc.). You may want to do only the lower engine (crank, bearings, pistons, etc.). Don't forget the timing chain and gears if they are worn. You may want to do some combination of both. It all depends on your budget, the condition of your engine, and what you want in the end.

Old 06-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those of you who might be looking for the ford y-block book by eickman its back in print.dennis carpenter has it for 18.00.i seen one on e-bay last week bid to 53.00.

Search this Thread