1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Couple of questions...

1. I want to have my fuel filler pipe powder-coated (black of course), but I am not sure it will look "fresh" with exposure to gas drips. (I'm not figuring to do the inside). Will it get stained and look bad? Is powder-coat immune to modern gas?

2. I am about to install my glass. Is this worth doing myself, or is a professional a better bet (applies only to windshield and rear window)? I am wondering if I can really seal it up without having a pressure-fed "goo gun" to inject weatherseal under the rubber and between the glass and rubber.

Would appreciate any first-hand experience on these.

By the way, I went to the boneyard for some "supplies", among which was electrical connectors. Lincoln Town Cars are a treasure-trove of high-quality connectors, and in particular have a main auxiliary power connector with 8 heavy-gauge (#10's #12's, and #14's) wires running from the battery area to the passenger side under-dash distribution center. It has more than 4' of color-coded wire loom on the engine side, and other HD 2-wire, 4-wire, and 6-wire connectors in the same run, and a very nice rubber grommet to feed it all thru.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:59 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
most powdercoating would be gas resistant, but check Caswell's web site to be sure.
Don't forget to pick up a handful of power relays as well when boneyard shopping. Most newer OBD computer cars have bunches of them under the hood, beats the heck out of paying 6.00 apiece for them.

Old 06-02-2005, 03:51 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have several items powder coated and I love it. The powder coating stay shiney, doesn't require polishing or buffing. I'm not sure about gas, but I've had tranny fluid, brake fluid, oil and laquer thinner on the surface and it wiped off with etching the coating. I'd think gas wouldn't harm it either.

As the window. I can't say for the front. I have the 56 which has the rounded ends which may be a little trickier. The back window is a piece of cake. I just purchased new rubber and installed it. I don't have leaks and it seals well. No silicone etc. Actually, they don't recommend using anything with the rubber kit. Good luck

Old 06-02-2005, 04:09 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
I made patterns from the old broken glass for a local auto glass company. I then tried to install these and ended up cracking the windshield 'cause they were a bit too large. Then I hauled it all to the glass company where they graciously cut another windshield for free and installed both front and rear. I don't believe there is any goo under them, but the seals are easy to get under except for the bottom of the windshield at the cowl. I don't have any leaks around the glass. The cowl seal is another story

So my experience? Its cheap to have them install the glass.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:43 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Like mtflat says, take it to a glass shop or call one of the guys who come to you to put it in. It's not difficult to do if you know how so it shouldn't cost much to have done, but if you haven't done it before it's easy to damage the seal or glass, so letting someone else be responsible if something gets messed up makes more economic sense. The only time "goo" is typically used is if they are reusing an old rubber seal that has lost some of it's elasticity from age.

Last edited by AXracer; 06-02-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the responses, I'll check Caswell's site. I hadn't thought of the glass shops that come to you; that would eliminate the real problem with a professional install, towing it to their shop. Great idea!

AX, you're absolutely right about the relays, in fact this Lincoln had so many it put the thought in my head of running my headlights and running lights off a relay system. Because I re-wired earlier for 6V, I did the "overkill" thing and ran individual #12 wires to each headlight (normal and high beam) which gets to be a pretty big bundle (especially with the detour to the switch under the cab). Now with 12v on the way, I almost feel like re-doing it... almost!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:10 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I would run the relays on the headlights if you plan on running anything hotter than stock sealed beams. You'll still need the heavy power wire, but the relay will save replacing switches or having your headlight blinking from tripping the switch circuit breaker. Use a relay anywhere you have a device with heavy current draw and are using a switch other than one supplied with that device.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:25 PM
dylan1952
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I think your getting good advice about the glass. I had a company put in the front and back where they could cut it and fit it right there. I don't remember why but I could not get a company to come to me. Yes, driving with no windshield is interesting. Everything else I did myself and worked out well. Go slow with those windwings they are tricky. This all offers a good time to clean,paint and grease tracks and regulators for a nice quiet cab. Good luck,dylan1952

Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the reminder about regulators, Dylan! I am dreading the replacement of both windwing glasses, seems like a perfect opportunity to "write a check" instead of "getting real aggravated to save $30".

Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Thanks for the reminder about regulators, Dylan! I am dreading the replacement of both windwing glasses, seems like a perfect opportunity to "write a check" instead of "getting real aggravated to save $30".
Could convert to electric windows and one piece window glass doing away with the wind wings.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Well, I guess I could, AX, but if I don't get this thing on the road in the next couple weeks, I'm afraid I'll forget why I even have it... it's been almost 3 yrs since I drove it, and I need some reinforcement. A sub-project like 1-piece glass would take me another couple months. Besides, I love the wing windows!

This thread also reminded me I need to get some film on the rear window before it's installed -- much easier now!

Old 06-02-2005, 10:56 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very important factor here, if the glass shop breaks or cracks the window while installing it, it's on them and not you.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
That was actually just a minor pull of your leg, not meant to be a serious suggestion. I know the feeling even if I've only had Gracie for 8 months I thought I'd have plates on her in a couple weeks, but one project had lead to another as I see things that I don't like the way it was done, especially under the dash and it would make more sense to do before going on to rewire the whole truck, so it's been sitting in the backyard since I brought it home. It was supposed to be towing our racecar to races around the country but instead we are driving the racecar to races and pulling a little tire trailer behind it. The fact that our garage that we had expected to be using by 1st of March hasn't even been started yet has also put a major kink in our plans since I have to work outside during daylight hours on good weather weekends when we aren't racing or working on the racecar.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:27 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
What a coincidence...I'm waiting for construction of a new 3-car garage/shop, been 3 weeks and no permit... I figure my '52 will have $35k into it, since that's why I'm having to build the garage!