Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:06 AM
bozo4ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch fliud leaking on pedal

1986 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4 Cylinder

Hiyaall,
It's amazing that I posted this message more than two weeks ago,13 people read it,but nobody replied,so I'm re-posting.

I filled my Brake and Clutch reservoir today and (maybe) overfilled the clutch reservoir too much because after driving around a little bit I noticed undernearth the clutch pedal on the kickwall, I slipped up that rubber cap on the pedal...and it was wet with fluid. Now many people have told me that this should be dry as a bone.

Someone at FORD told me that because it is leaking, that could be a sign of other pricey repairs,like the Slave Master,and the Throw-out bearings...about $ 1000.00!!!! Are they Nuts?
When I accidently overfilled the Clutch resevoir,it leaked down the tube in the engine side and was visible where the fluid goes into the inside at the (engine)wall. I Doubt that this overflow fluid somehow got into the inside clutch arm.
Do I have to worry about the clutch going to the floor? Am I paranoid for nothing? How much time do I have before I can afford to repair it?

Not much of a leak today as was yesterday.just wet around where the rubber cap fits onto..on the pedal. This morning I cleaned it all off,drove around a little,came home and checked it and there is a little inside that part where the rubber cap fits into it.

Could a good mechanic inspect it to see what exactly the problem is before I have to wait to win the lottery to help offset the repair costs? or could this be a fluke of a leak.? Or since it is leaking a little,and not a lot,am I safe to drive it as long as I have fliud in the Clutch resevoir?

Thanks, Bozo4ford

Old 06-02-2005, 10:31 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know about the throw out bearings but the master cylinder sounds correct. i had a vehicle that did this and thats what the diagnosis was. not hard to change yourself and not as expensive. the hardest part i found was bleeding the clutch afterward.