Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Attention Texans who don't already know :)

Old 05-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Attention Texans who don't already know :)

A warning

About Soda Cans ,(and others) ,Please Read

VERY IMPORTANT

This incident happened recently in North Texas . We need to be even more careful everywhere. A woman went boating one Sunday, taking with her some cans of coke which she put in the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was taken into Intensive Care Unit and on Wednesday she died. The autopsy revealed a certain Leptospirosis caused by the can of coke from which she had drunk, not using a glass. A test showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis.

Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly recommended to wash thoroughly the upper part of soda cans before drinking out of them as they have been stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.

A study at NYCU showed that the tops of soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets (i.e).. full of germs and bacteria. So wash them with water before putting them to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.

Please forward this message to all the people you care about.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:14 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You got this from a reputable source? I've always read this is a hoax e-mail, like it says on this site.

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/raturine.asp
http://www.scambusters.org/urban-leg...droppings.html

-J.Banks-

Last edited by jdbanks; 05-31-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:31 AM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic
Dang, word for word on Snopes.com. I'd say it's busted!

Old 06-01-2005, 05:09 PM
79driver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that particular story may be a hoax, but i have seen people get sick from drinking from a coke can. I wash mine because we buy cokes and dont put them all in the fridge and we store the extras in the pantry. Ive never seen it happen, but in theory a rat could go in there and crap all over our cokes.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:39 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
well, that story may or may not be bumpkis, but I always wipe/wash my soda can lids off before drinking from it. Just imagine the long trip the can has to make from the liquid filling machines to the hands of the consumer. I can just picture a big hairy schweaty bloke in shorts in the middle of summer resting his kester on a palet of freshly filled soda cans on their way to packaging or distribution. EEEeeeeeewwwww. hehehehehehe

Old 06-10-2005, 05:09 PM
pootscratch89
Senior User
True or not, I will never drink from a can again...

vernon

Old 06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
And someboday at Campbell's may have peed in your soupe before they packaged it. If it looks dirty, I clean it. If it looks clean, I drink from it.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:15 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
Better safe than sorry of course. But don't believe what you read and only half of what you see. If you read the info on the links I provided, it's highly unlikely you'll get anything on your can from the factory because they ship them as soon as they get them made so they are as fresh as possible. They don't sit around in warehouses out in the open. And even if rats did do something on them, it would still have to be a sick rat for you to be in any danger. But as I said, wash away, just don't do it as a result of wild stories like this.

-J.Banks-

Old 06-26-2005, 08:36 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

in biology in high school we were sent around the campus with 10 swabs per pair to swab different places in the school to learn about identifying bacteria... there were coke and candy machines in the commons and another group bought one and swabbed it.. guess what was the dirtiest thing in the school.... i think that was second behind the door handles or handrails inside the commons or something like that. i cldn't believe it. i can't remember now years later what bacteria was found on there but there were several different ones i do remember that.

since then i've taken to wiping can tops off or rinsing them off if they look realllllly bad. my grandmother who doesn't understand a computer at all refuses to drink out of a can and has for years cuz they're dirty and she knows it. how she heard it, i dont know but somehow years before internet was a household word, she knew...

Old 06-27-2005, 03:50 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
well its not as bad as the angry 7 eleven worker here a few years back he thought no body was watching , when in fact there was a camera in the stock room. well anyways he pulled down his pants and peed all over everything.they just had a whole show of busted on tape play tonight.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:44 AM
ranger240
Elder User
hey all you texans there!!! I work in a bakery, and I wouldn't worry so much about the rodentia on your cans from the MFG facility, or even the filth from the transports. the FDA and other government programs that are there for consumer protectionare so VERY strict when it comes to situations like this. it all comes down to the individual store you purchase your goods from. if it's a dirty store, chances are there are rodents, and bugs crawling on your candy bars and soda pops. I try to stay far away from "dirty" stores, and I only ever rinse off my cans if they are dirty, and I don't worry about it. when God says it's time, he'll let me know. that's all there is to say about that.

oh yeah, and OU rules!!! hahaha, couldn't resist!!

Old 06-30-2005, 10:04 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

i live in lubbock and i doint care about tech ...

cldn't resist pointing out that some people dont care...

Old 07-03-2005, 11:11 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ford4life69
i live in lubbock and i doint care about tech ...

cldn't resist pointing out that some people dont care...
But most do care in Lubbock. Go Tech.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:21 PM
ranger240
Elder User
doesn't matter to me...A&M or Tech!! hahahaha

nahhh, just foolin' you guys are great aaahhhhahahahahaha

Old 07-04-2005, 07:39 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

well.. at the same time, i generally dont care about sports either way *shrug*