Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

rebuilding a C-6 tranny help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:58 PM
weldingfreak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilding a C-6 tranny help

I have an 1984 F-250 4x4 that is having an leaking and slight slipping problem. I was wanting to know if anybody knows a good tranny rebuilder. I live in centerville and figured I would ask around. I can remove and replace it just need a person to rebuild it. thanks a bunch

Old 06-03-2005, 09:03 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wish I had better help, but thought I would at least bump your post up since you've gotten no response.

Just a couple thoughts - might not help but .... Is it leaking out the tail or pan gasket or? How often have you had to add tranny fluid? What condition is the fluid in burnt smelling, dirty? I've had some lucky with changing fluid and filter - depending on conditions. Also seen vac leaks, bad modulators, and poor engine performance make it appear to be major tranny problems.

Unfortunately you and I both missed out on monsterbaby's C6 rebuild. (see informal gtg work party thread). That would have been fun as well as informative. Maybe another opportunity will come up.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:33 AM
weldingfreak
Senior User
Tanks a lot 69 & 85. I was having the leaking from the front of the tranny where the tranny meets the engine and yes it is red fluid so it is tranny fluid. I have had it slipp sometimes. well I was looken at the TCI 4x4 tranny but at $1100 with shipping kind of pricey so hopping sombody knows any local shops that would be aboe to rebuild it cheeper. thanks

Old 06-03-2005, 12:50 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
depends on what you expect out of it, they aren't that hard to rebuild, and the TCI rebuild kit is under $200. I could probably do it just not this week as still trying to get mine running for sunday but might have some time after that. I didn't post earlier cause I don't want to sound like drumming up business as I am not in hte tranny busi. but I normally charge $400 for stock rebuild, and $500 for better rebuild with a shift kit then up from there depending on what you want it to do (IE the more the parts cost the more the total obviously plus the more time I have to take to get er done do to major modifications) Like to build one like mine would cost around $1500 or so not including torque converter

Old 06-03-2005, 01:27 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Thanks for chiming in Rob - I was kind of hoping to lead you in - knowing you have exerience with building your own racing trannys and considering your willingness to show the rest of us some pointers I figured that makes you a great one to get advice on. Funny thing is I almost e-mailed weldingfreak about the tranny g2g- you guys live fairly close together I believe and thought you both would have some good fabricating stories.

I do owe you one tho Rob - it was me who brought it up the tranny g2g and then couldn't make it... I really wanted to be there. HOPEFULLY I'm finishing the new chicken coop this weekend or atleast enought to get them in it - then when the chickens are off the list of priorities maybe tranny can rise to the top again!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:07 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can muddle through a C6, but would prefer to stick to my own for the moment, although the C6's aren't really that hard, just a little more than a TH350, which are a breeze to do, basically, they practically are the same, it's just that I haven't done too many for quite a while, and don't have the equipment for replacing the seals and such, I could fabricate them, just takes time.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:00 PM
weldingfreak
Senior User
thanks monsterbaby, I will be intrested in having the tranny done end of the month, when I have the money. and again thank you everyone very much.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:03 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Where is it leaking, and when does it slip? You might be able to fix the leak with a new gasket, and adjust the intermediate band. That fixed mine right up!

Edit: Never mind. If it's leaking between the transmission and the engine, you might have a loose torque converter drain plug, but it's probably a worse problem.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aren't C6's known for belching a bit of fluid out the front in hot weather or when they get hot?

How much is a reman from like Napa or Orielly's?

Old 06-05-2005, 06:27 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know what the reman's predone cost, but (it's been a few years) my dad had his diesel C6 done and installed for $400, might be worth asking around to see what it cost. As for the leak, how certain are you it is coming from betyween the motor and converter, or is it just draining out the access cover? If so, i would lay money down on a failed front seal. If it is slipping, be certain that the fluid level is right, if it is low, get it up to be sure. If it behaves for a while, then slips again, recheck the fluid, as the front seal will get rid of fluid fast. I guarantee it will act failed if it gets low on fluid. The nice thing is, if you don't run it too much, it can be saved by simply dropping the trans and replacing the seal. But if the trans has been damaged, I would price check a rebuild, because the parts are cheap, it's more the cost of labor. Another thought, if you really want to be sure, is drop the trans pan to see what it looks like there. If it has a lot of sediment, that is clutch material. Some is normal, a lot is not, if it looks like mud on the bottom of the pan it's so thick, then the clutches are pretty hurt. Chunks are not good.

Old 06-05-2005, 07:18 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
only thing on hte front seals is if they start leaking usually the front pump bushing needs replaced to or it will start leaking again pretty soon. Pretty cheap and not hard to replace but since you have to drop the trans anyway might as well.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:52 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Thanks guy. Lots of good info going on here!

Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 AM
weldingfreak
Senior User
Well I checked napa reman. trannys and they want $1200 so that was why I was hoping someone knows of a local rebuilder that could do it cheeper. and monsterbaby offered . thanks monsterbaby!!! as far as only doing a front seal or what ever, if I am going to the trouble of removing the tranny I am going to have the whole thing redone so I will not have to worry about it for a long while.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Good call, take a C6 and rebuild it.... change the tranny fluid like you're supposed to, treat it right, and if used under "normal street use" then in about 25 years rebuild it again (if it needs it!)

Old 06-08-2005, 11:27 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
I love the good , cheap or fast-pick any two.... I have so much stuff laying around that "good" and "cheap" works for me. I doubt anyone would even know if one was missing! My youngest son (12) was counting all the vehicles at our place and came up with 11. ( not bad.... he only missed 2 of them.) 13 cars and trucks total.

Quick Reply: rebuilding a C-6 tranny help