F350 Flare Fitment & Body Mods - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

F350 Flare Fitment & Body Mods

Old 05-20-2005, 06:29 PM
SJPerformance
New User
SJPerformance is starting off with a positive reputation.
F350 Flare Fitment & Body Mods

Hi all new here to the forum this is my first question and I will try to explain my project as best as I can before posting my questions. Truck is a 1982 F350 in Australia. The Australian versions are different to the US version and the conversion I am doing is quite rare here.

I am restoring a 1982 F350 single cab and fitting a styleside body with flares (Dually). Being in Australia F350's were sold as a cab chassis when new here so 99.9% have a tray back. The trucks were fitted with narrower diff also. The styleside body I am using is F100 as there are no F350 styleside bodies in Australia.
So far with conversion I have fitted adaptors to move out my wheels and the ute body is on the truck but not bolted down flares are not fitted or marked out for drilling as yet. The rear wheels do not sit it the middle of the wheel arch also(the flares are not fitted yet) I believe (have been told) I need to cut the styleside body around the wheel arches
My questions-
1/ How much of the styleside body need to be cut around the wheel arches?
2/ Has anyone got pictures of a body? with out flares fitted
3/ Anyone have measurements for flare position on body from front to rear?
4/ Anything I need to know before I go cutting or chopping

Thank you in advance
Regards
Glenn

Old 05-21-2005, 11:58 AM
SJPerformance
New User
BUMP

Can anyone help out???

Old 05-24-2005, 08:33 PM
SJPerformance
New User
Bump

There must be someone out there with some info??

Old 05-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.
It's hard to say, over here if we want to convert to a dually, there is a kit that comes with the wheel adapters and fenders, and you just bolt it on. Do you really need to cut the fenders? Are they going to interfere with the wheels if you leave them as they are? If so, just cut what you need so your suspension can cycle without interference. The dually fenders will cover it up and no one should know. Come to think of it I can't remember looking under a dually fender to see whats there, if it is a regular bed with dually fenders, or if any material was removed for the change.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:06 PM
SJPerformance
New User
re: Flare Fitment & Body Mods

Originally Posted by Sycostang67
It's hard to say, over here if we want to convert to a dually, there is a kit that comes with the wheel adapters and fenders, and you just bolt it on. Do you really need to cut the fenders? Are they going to interfere with the wheels if you leave them as they are? If so, just cut what you need so your suspension can cycle without interference. The dually fenders will cover it up and no one should know. Come to think of it I can't remember looking under a dually fender to see whats there, if it is a regular bed with dually fenders, or if any material was removed for the change.
Thank you for your reply and advice Sycostang67
Currently with the body sitting on my truck the wheels do not sit in the wheel arch evenly, the wheels sit waaayyy back and with the flares dummied up there is a noticable amount of styleside wheel arch showing.
I had been told by a F-Series parts supplier that the arches needed to be cut but couldn't tell me how much but was sure they needed to be. I would just like to do the conversion so it looks close to a factory dually. From pictures I have seen it looks like the body underneath is different to a non dually what I need is a close up shot or confirmation from a dually owner, being in Australia duallys are NOT on every street corner, there would only be about 10 duallys in the whole of Perth that I know of.
Thank you again
Cheers Glenn

Old 05-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.
You should put out a post calling attention the dually owners, see if you can't get some pics, maybe even post in the towing forum, lots of dually owners in there. You might even check the galleries. Worst case scenario, mock up your fenders, cut out what you need to to make it look good, then paint everything under the fender black so you cant see it.