Alaska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

UPDATE for Memorial Day Meet

Old 04-10-2005, 03:51 AM
heavnbound
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation UPDATE for Memorial Day Meet

Hello Everyone,

Well PeeWee and I went to Denali Park today to check out a few of the sites proposed for this Memorial Day Gathering. The two sites that were suitable were:

McKinley RV & Campground at mile 248.4 – This site has campsites set in amongst trees although the sites are small and not really suited for the larger RV’s and fifth wheels. There is a small grocery store, laundry, showers, and “full hookups” (we saw power and water but not sewer – probably a dump station there). The tent sites are set down the hill from the rest of the camp sites and when we went there the snow was melting somewhat but we found the larger RV’s may have trouble getting in and out of the sites.

Denali Riverside RV Park at mile 240 – This site is basically a very large gravel parking lot but it has water/power hookups and is designed to handle the largest RV’s and fifth wheels easily. It also has a snack shop, laundry, showers (exceptionally clean!) and a dump station. While the scenery may not be as “woodsy” it is a lot closer to the hotels/gift shops/restaurants amenities. It has a great view of the river and of the train.

These two sites are the best of the ones mlb4966 listed in his post. The rest of them were run down, shabby, and looked like they hadn’t seen a good caretaker in many years!

PeeWee and I will be staying in the Denali Riverside RV Park since we have a new travel trailer and are not well-practiced in backing techniques yet! We want someplace with pull-through sites, plus our son loves trains! So for those of you who have larger RV’s and who wish to stay there with us we’d love the company (and the helpful advice of “veteran” RV’ers!) and for those of you who are into “nature” and trees, the McKinley RV & Campground is only 8 miles -11 minutes – away!

Now to make your reservations (and I STRONGLY suggest you do so quickly – the RV’s are out boys and girls!) here are the numbers needed:

Denali Riverside RV Park www.denaliriversiderv.com 866-583-2696 (toll free)

McKinley RV & Campground (this campground is in Healy and has no website) 1-800-478-2562

Last edited by heavnbound; 04-10-2005 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
What about internet connections? Can't be without FTE! Just kidding, I can survive a couple of days being unplugged

Just checked the calendar. I would have to head back to Fairbanks about noon on the 29th. That would be about the time everyone else is showing up. I might have to pass on this gathering.

Last edited by Twin Tritons; 04-10-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:16 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
I looked at my calendar too. Looks like I can make it too. I probably won't be up there untill about noon on Monday though. I really don't like the idea of driving up from Nikiski (work) stopping by the house to grab the camp gear and continuing on....tha's to much like "hotshotting" and I had my fill of that!. Going to call tomorrow and reserve a campsite. Just a tent for me.....i don't have a camper.....yet

Old 04-25-2005, 12:40 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Well it looks like me and Heavnbound will be at Denali Rainbow RV Park. Right across the street from the pizza place and shops.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:17 PM
AlaskaPowerStroke
Senior User
We won't be able to make the Denali Park meet, but you all have a great time!

Old 05-03-2005, 02:18 AM
PeeWee
Senior User
Originally Posted by AlaskaPowerStroke
We won't be able to make the Denali Park meet, but you all have a great time!
Seems like no one is making this meet...
sure thought there would be a bigger turn out for such a large amount of members.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:45 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Memorial Day Meet

Well it looks like I am the only one. Heavnbound ran into work related problems and wont be making it after all. So I am going to wait one more week to see if anyone else is showing up. If not then I will be changing my travel plans. I still will be gone for a week but probley will spend 2 days in Willow, 2 days in Squarebanks then 2 days between Tok and Valdez.

PS. Linda while I am in Fairbanks I will try to look you up and say hi.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Y2K350
Elder User
Doesn't look like we can make it either. Things may change though.

Tony

Old 05-04-2005, 11:02 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
wheredideverbodygo.....

Gosh, looks like hardly anyone is going to show up. Considering that long drive for only one night of camping, I might just have to reconsider it myself. I may just have to catch the next one.....

Old 05-08-2005, 01:41 AM
AKBronco96
Junior User
We are not going to be able to camp, but we could stop on the way to Fairbanks and barbecue. Our youngest is due for another surgery as soon as we get back. He has a terrible immune system, so it would not be a good thing for us to camp out before the surgery. Maybe we can stop in on the way up and atleast say hi.
Kim

Old 05-10-2005, 12:33 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Sorry to hear that Kim. We will be in Anchorage the 8th - 17 of July. I will try to say hi to you and Mike when we are in town.

Well it looks like I am going to cancel my reservation at Denali. As mentioned we are still going but we will stay at friends in Willow then off to Fairbanks for a few day then probley Paxon for a day then home. This will be our last long trip this summer due to the new one's arrival. I will probley be doing 1 or 2 day trips from that point on until next summer. My yard is open for campers and tenters this summer if anyone is coming this way. I live just outside of Keystone Canyon.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:02 AM
PeeWee
Senior User
Hey Mike...

WHICH days are you going to be in Squarebanks? Mon. 30th, Tues. 31 or Wed. 1st.?

If I don't know which days, then we won't be able to meet up.

Please, let me know, here or in a PM.

Linda

Old 05-10-2005, 01:08 AM
AKBronco96
Junior User
Hi Mike B

We are going to be camping in either Homer or Kenai from 2 July-10 July. We will also be in Fairbanks from 29 May-5 June for our oldest's wedding. We are staying at the Golden Nugget. If you have some free time, maybe you can look us up. Our youngest's surgery will be keeping us close to home and doctors for a while too.
Take care,
Kim

Old 05-11-2005, 12:18 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Not sure. We will leave Valdez and get into Willow the 29th. I would guess that we will be there for 2 days so if we leave the 31st that would be our arrival date. We will then either stay a day or two in Fairbanks then head home. I have house to build on my days off this summer so I am hoping to start the foundation that first week of June.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Vulcan3.0
Freshman User
I still have to intro myself (ourselves).
Did get EM from Heavnbound acknowledging our admission to the club on 4/14.
We've just got back from a 'snowbird trip' outside. (4/4/05).
First time we've been out of state for any length of time. (6mo). Left the Fifth in storage down in WA. Looking for a decent used camper for AK travels. We will not be able to make the mem.day activities either. Really want too but we have a 95yr old (Patti's father) we need to babysit starting on the 28th thru June 16th.
This group sounds great. Would like to meet all. You folks enjoy!! We'd love to be there!
Joe&Patti

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UPDATE for Memorial Day Meet