1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

outcast engines in winning trucks $%%^*$@#

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 09:42 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
outcast engines in winning trucks $%%^*$@#

ok, this ought to start a thousand post thread....

now first, I didn't go the the Nats this year but understand that the winning truck had a non ford engine as did the 2nd place truck... AND last years winner was also......this tends to grate on my nerves just a little...

If it's the FORD truck of the year... shouldn't it be FORD powered ??? I'm not a brand bigot by any means and you can drive any combo you want but if they are judging for the FORD truck of the year... it's logical to me that that truck should be FORD as a FORD can be as far as body engine and drivetrain.

what to yall think...???

if the opinion of the majority agrees maybe we could draft a letter to Pat and express our discontent... sliding soapbox back under the desk now...

later
John

Old 05-18-2005, 09:44 AM
superman64011
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree in the case of the truck of the year

Old 05-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know guys with Ch**y and Mopar engines in their Ford trucks and I'm generally OK with that. I understand the thinking there...availability of parts and custom stuff, something different, etc. But everyone of those guys that I know say what they have with a little bit of apology in their voice, too.

HOWEVER!!!!! The FORD TRUCK OF THE YEAR with anything other than a Ford motor just doesn't cut it. It is rediculous to me that it would even be considered in the final trophy judging. It should be an automatic disqualification for "Truck of the Year". I guess the Supernats must not be Ford sponsored.

There is no shortage of high-powered modern Ford powerplants and I have seen some stuff that is really hot. Cobra and Lightening motors, EFI Windsors, etc. It's not like a person HAS to go outlaw just to get ponies or eye candy under the hood of an Effie.

BAH! Humbug.

Now, back to our regular programming...

Old 05-18-2005, 10:25 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
I have to agree with JNIOLON, when I see a non Ford engine in a Ford I feel like getting a rope and looking for a tree.............just kidding

Old 05-18-2005, 10:42 AM
StarFox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with ya, John. I have no problem people putting whatever they want under the hood, but they should not be awarded as FORD truck of the year. Custom truck of the year maybe...

Old 05-18-2005, 10:56 AM
laynrubber
Elder User
I agree if it's a FORD truck of the year/show it should be ALL Ford, not a hybrid. If it is a hybrid hot rod truck then class it as such.
FORD all the way please.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM
TheMadFabber
Senior User
So what you guys are saying is that a Ford truck is no longer a Ford truck is someone puts a different motor in it.

There's no logic in that.

Brand loyalty is lame... it breeds hatred toward our car loving brothers and sisters, just because they didn't choose the "correct" this or the "correct" that.

It reminds me of being teased in high school because I didn't wear the types of clothes that the popular kids wore...

You get enough like minded guys together... usually people that cannot give a valid reason for doing what they do other than "because"... and they start sqwaking, complaining and whining... and pretty soon, you have the rest of the FOLLOWERS believeing that is the right way.

I see that happening here... with the end result being the Ford show either excludes non-Ford powered trucks from judging... OR, WORSE YET... they make a different class for the non-Ford powered trucks.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease...

I mean, look at what the average American male thinks is a beautiful woman... tall, bleach blonde, 110 pounds with silicon "augmentation"...

ok, bad analogy...

Anyway, it basically goes like this:

1) It's a Ford truck show

2) Said truck show allows non-Ford powered Ford trucks into the show

3) It would not be right to then exclude non-Ford powered trucks from judging because they are non Ford.

4) The nicest truck wins (or the one the judges like the most)

Sam.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:54 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Preach it brother MF!
They limit the show/awards to only the trucks that are Ford Powered and you'll end up with a Mall parking lot show. I saw elsewhere people complaining about there "only" being 700 trucks there, I wonder what percent of those were F in F? Would you prefer a couple hundred truck show instead? Which powerplant or other parts were used is only a small part of what makes a custom truck/car/moped great, it's the package that counts.

Disclaimer: I am one of the many darksiders with a non Ford powerplant and I don't appologize to anyone for it. Heck, I've even used a lot of "furrin" car parts.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How often does this happen at other shows? I'm not talking about Ford shows. I mean Chevy, Dodge, etc. I'd be interested in the reaction from their purists if they found a Ford engine under a Chevy hood.

One of the big arguments from folks dropping in a Chevy 350 is cost. I don't see that as an issue in a 400K show truck.

Kevin Kessler
1953 Ford F-100
Go Illini

Old 05-18-2005, 11:58 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
brand loyalty is lame??? sorry but I don't agree it breeds hatred, I'm sure we all give credit to someone who does a nice job on a brandX car or truck we just wouldn't own or drive one, many of my freinds are brandX lovers, we all watch racing and are loyal to our own brands, just makes good competion

Old 05-18-2005, 12:00 PM
TheMadFabber
Senior User
I'm not being a butthole here... I just have been in this car thing my entire life... and have seen friendships torn apart and people gotten pee'd off for silly stuff like this.

The worst is seeing grown men complain that they didn't get a trophy... usually because THEY thought THEIR car was better than someone elses.

Petty B.S.

Sam.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:04 PM
TheMadFabber
Senior User
hiball3895, that's because you're level headed... some brand loyalists aren't that way.

There's a guy that shows up at the West Coast Goodguys shows who has a tri-five Chevy pickup with a 460 in it... and he gets nothing but compliments... why? Because it is a nice truck...

Sam.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
hey madfabber, sounds like the problem is the people, not the cars,

Old 05-18-2005, 12:16 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
and if I ever get the guy down the street to sell me his 55 Studebaker, I'm going to put a big block Ford and top loader in it, and I'm sure that will upset the Studebaker purist

Old 05-18-2005, 12:17 PM
TheMadFabber
Senior User
Yea! You're absolutely right!

I mean, who cares what parts you used? If you did a nice job, the truck is the body style you like... and the effort is there... good job on ya!

Now about the supposed $400,000 truck winning it?

Well, shows where cars are judged on points will more often than not be won by the guy with the most money... kind of sours they guys that do all their own work.

The backlash to that has been steam rolled by organizations such as the Goodguys who give trophies out to the cars that people like... "people's choice"...

To me, those are win-win trophies... and the only hard feelings are from the guys stupid enough to dump $400 grand in their cars.

Sam.

Quick Reply: outcast engines in winning trucks $%%^*$@#